Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal votes 'NO' again!

Options
  • 12-11-2012 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭

OK so I understand the county voting against austerity and all, but yet another 'No' vote in the Childrens Referendum.

Only 3 of the country's 43 constituencies rejected the proposed amendment, with us having 2 of the 3.

Is Donegal going to vote 'No' for everything, all the time? Is it in our nature to fight the man?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I heard it said before that SW Donegal was a republic within a repbulic, think it was during/after the war of independance..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

rightyabe wrote: »
    I heard it said before that SW Donegal was a republic within a repbulic, think it was during/after the war of independance..

How old are you? ;)

Seriously tho, what is the reason for us voting No so often in referenda?
    I heard a quite good arguement today, that the changes to the constitution are normally instigated and written by upper/middleclass urbanites who more or less are attempting to impose their view of what is right and proper on the whole country - was even compared somewhat to the practice (in Australia) of adopting Aborigine children to white homes so that they would grow up knowing the 'correct' way to act and think.

And we're just too tran to go along with that... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

Good to see us voting against Sinn Fein's recommendation though. At least no party can take any credit for it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

When the government start realising that donegal is part of this country then we might start giving a stuff about what they want. I voted no purely because the shambolic herd of idiots aka FG/Labour wanted me to vote yes, wrong reason I know but I don't honestly care.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

CJC999 wrote: »
    When the government start realising that donegal is part of this country then we might start giving a stuff about what they want. I voted no purely because the shambolic herd of idiots aka FG/Labour wanted me to vote yes, wrong reason I know but I don't honestly care.

Good to see you read all the literature and checked out what was entailed by a Yes or No vote, before casting your vote.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Good to see you read all the literature and checked out what was entailed by a Yes or No vote, before casting your vote.

What would have been the point in reading the literature? Can't feckin trust what it says...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Which Literature? The Literature that was deemed to be impartial by the highest court in the land or the Literature that wrongfully used taxpayers money in advocating a Yes vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

This thread is starting to lean towards general politics now, if you want to discuss the children's referendum please go to the politics forum, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,621 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do we just come across as an 'anti everything' county full of begrudgers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

To everyone else yes, but from talking to people here we are simply sticking it to the man :o

• Advertisement

Let's just put this to bed.. The Two Donegal Constituencies do not always vote NO... alright? Check out the facts; We vote NO alot of the time but not all the time.

Why don't you ask why certain Dublin Constituences ALWAYS vote Yes?

We may come across as begrudgers, but so fecking what.. I've voted yes when the result in Donegal has been No; but that's democracy, people have a right to vote the way their concience dictates, No politician, journalist, commentator, 'advocate' or internet poster should denegrade the result, sometimes the minority turn out to have been right - didn't the majority re-elect Bertie & FF? Where did that get us?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Larrson

Yea but Jimmys winning matches at Celtic
    Firblog wrote: »
    Let's just put this to bed.. The Two Donegal Constituencies do not always vote NO... alright? Check out the facts; We vote NO alot of the time but not all the time.

Why don't you ask why certain Dublin Constituences ALWAYS vote Yes?

We may come across as begrudgers, but so fecking what.. I've voted yes when the result in Donegal has been No; but that's democracy, people have a right to vote the way their concience dictates, No politician, journalist, commentator, 'advocate' or internet poster should denegrade the result, sometimes the minority turn out to have been right - didn't the majority re-elect Bertie & FF? Where did that get us?

Advertisement