Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day One Purchases

• 12-11-2012 1:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭

With Halo 4 out last week, Black Ops 2 out this week and the Wii U out at the end of the month, I was just wondering why people insist on purchasing them as soon as they come out?
    I'll admit to doing this twice in the past year or so: New Super Mario 2(only because I could get it cheaper than after that) and Skyward Sword.

I understand liking a franchise and just looking forward to playing a game, but when I see people complain because their Amazon order didn't arrive on release day or, even worse, paying a lot of money on ebay to buy a copy of a game someone got a few days early, I wonder why?

And then there are midnight launches. I wouldn't see the point in queuing at Gamestop or somewhere for a midnight launch, if I could just drop down the next day and pick it up no problem.

Reminds me of a post on another board where a manager fired 2 employees after he found out they called in sick just to play GTA 4 on release. He didn't fire them for taking the day off. It was for lying instead of taking a day's holiday.

Sorry for rambling. Was just something I was curious about. Especially since after finishing Zelda, I realised I now had to wait for the next one so there was no rush. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well i'll be at the midnight launch of BlOps2 tomorrow night. They are my queuing for concert tickets, they are my queuing for a fancy restaurant. And, usually here in Waterford, you get some goodies and free pizza!

I am a sucker for certain release day games, i think it's just the anticipation. The game you've been waiting for is finally out, and you want to play it asap. Some people are ok with waiting a while, i want it as soon as it's out.

There's also forums. I didn't get Mass Effect 2 on launch, and as such i couldn't enjoy reading or participating in threads, discussing tactics and plot points. Wasn't something i was big into until this lovely forum. Right now, i'm raging as i can't afford NFS:MW and am missing out on input from my experiences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The best thing about first day purchases is actually being involved in the online discussion about a title. The Internet is fickle, and inevitably conversation more or less dies within a few weeks of release. Similarly online communities in the game themselves are usually at their most exciting in the immediate aftermath of release.

That said, I have long since learned that first day ownership means sweet FA in other ways - the world ain't going to collapse if Amazon are a few days later. Sure, we all get excited about games and might want to play them ASAP, but they arent going anywhere.

While I'll wait for a lot of titles to drop in price these days, I still go out of my way to support new releases that deserve it. Was more than happy to pick up Under Defeat HD this launch weekend - a niche title from a niche publisher. Similarly, Dishonored was a new and interesting IP. I'll pick up many digital independent titles when I can too. Blockbuster games will sell and will drop in price, but it's worth the extra few euro to help encourage innovation and niche voices IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Day one purchases are for idiots with more money than sense. Unless its a first party nintendo release it's going to bomb in price within 6 months. If being on the dole has thought me anything it's that I was an idiot buying games on release day. Now the only games I get near release are games like atlus games that have a chance of becoming rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Day one purchases are for idiots with more money than sense. Unless its a first party nintendo release it's going to bomb in price within 6 months. If being on the dole has thought me anything it's that I was an idiot buying games on release day. Now the only games I get near release are games like atlus games that have a chance of becoming rare.

The way I see it I don't always buy day one games and if I do I work hard for my money and this is my chosen hobby to spend it on , nothing wrong with

If was on the dole and I was purchasing day 1 all the time then probably yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Day one purchases are for idiots with more money than sense.

bit harsh imo.

I've bought plenty of games on day1 release, most recently
    XCOM:Enemy Unknown - still playing it, worth every cent
    ME3 - still playing it, and worth every cent too

But then, being a millionaire playboy I definetly do have more money than sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I bought Skyrim, Space Marine, Portal 2, and Starcraft II recently as day one purchases. Can't say I regret them, but day one purchases are rarities. It's kind of like deciding to go to the movies: if I go see a movie, it's usually on or near it's release day. Beyond that I'd just as well catch it on netflix or the nefarious interweb. I don't mind then paying the money to see an IMAX 3D midnight release, it's fun. Or, once every other month, going out for a few drinks (My money, I swear, just goes to car, rent, phone, gym, gas and food, an accident im paying off, and a fathers day gift which im still paying off because I had an accident which took financial precedence. I don't make peanuts but I don't have much flexible cash every month.)

I just don't have the money to do it all the time, but in some cases it's just satisfying to, instead of feeling like you missed out on something. This happened with me and Borderlands, apparently that game was a hoot and everybody played it. I still have an annual Xbox live subscription downstairs I haven't scratched off because frankly I don't usually join release day hype on things like Halo 4 (god I wanted to, but money), if I did I'd be playing online with a bunch of friends from work. Instead I usually find and buy yesteryear bargains. And who wants to be one of the kids on the short bus who plays Modern Warfare 1 when Black Ops II gets released? Come on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i never really pre order myself but the thing that pisses me off when i dont is if you miss out on some multi player aspect. Example the new black ops game coming out has a extra map if you pre order which i havent. But i was considering picking it up as i havent played a mw game since mw2 or 3.

But now im completely put of buying it now because i already know il be locked out of some games as my friends will have pre ordered it and have a map i wont there by locking me out of potential games or locking them out as i dont have the map.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

PC gaming and G2play for me. I got FM 2013 and Fifa 13 day one for about 25 bucks each and it's sent to you in minutes. I got Sleeping Dogs for €16. I didn't want it before hand, but for a day one release price, I couldn't leave it there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Day 1 prices, no probs if it's a game I want.

Standing in a queue for a launch or shelling out for collectors editions is for people with little else to do with their time and money (also more than a bit nerdy and yes I appreciate the ironing).

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Day one buys for me are exciting if its a game im waiting for . I lost my job last year so day one buys are all but gone for me but lately I saved for assassins creed 3 collectors edition ( the massive box) and halo 4 and going to the midnight launches were like a night out for me hahahaha so to me the midnight launch day one buy adds excitement for the game that isnt there with 90% of the games i buy thats my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If it has Valve, Bohemia Interactive, Max Payne or Dungeon Keeper written on it. It's a day 1. Otherwise, I can wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Standing in a queue for a launch or shelling out for collectors editions is for people with little else to do with their time and money (also more than a bit nerdy and yes I appreciate the ironing).

I also think that's a bit harsh. The collectors editions of certain games are worth the money, AC: Revalations and 3 were well worth the money for the collectors editions.

For a lot of people, this is their past-time, hobby, love. Collecting the memorabilia that's in collectors editions is like a Munster Rugby fan having a signed '12 Jersey, or the gig-goer who has every ticket for every gig they've been to, the Irish soccer fan who follows the team everywhere. Gaming is all that to me and many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I can sort of understand going to a midnight release, chatting with your friends or other people waiting about the game, then going home with it.

Day one video game purchases are not the worst of it thought. People camp overnight to queue for the latest apple device which cost a small fortune. Height of madness imo

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I'm collecting customer support tickets, all the errors and bugs with day one releases, my newest acquisition is halo 4!
    Hey games industry stop releasing bugged or in some cases broken games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'll pre-order games I want and know will be great regardless of reviews.
    I'll Day One games I want and know will be good following reviews.
    I'll get a CE of a game I really want and which has some cool (or at least what I regard as cool :o) content.

If I'm bogged down in a game and something else I want comes out in the meantime, then I'll get it as soon as I finish the other thing, I never play multiple big games at the same time. Exceptions would be smaller indie titles I'll play at lunch or for a quick break if working at home.

I don't do midnight openings or early eBay purchasing.
    I have no issue with shopping around but in general I'll go with Shopto or Amazon unless there's a particularly good deal at a different retailer I know.
    I don't do VPN or foreign keysites aggregators.
    I don't hold off on new releases for upcoming sales, regardless of platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've only bought 4 release day games in the past 5 years. I like to finish one game before starting another so even if I buy a game on day one I won't end up playing it until I'm finished what I'm already stuck into. The way prices depreciate so quickly these days is another incentive to hold off.

Took me a while to learn that though - last gen I bought almost all my games Day 1.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What ! people actually still walk into shops to buy their games !

Must be over 2 years since i done so.
    Get with it guys and get your games digitally :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Maybe people just dont want to wait 6 months to play certain things? you miss the shared discussion that goes along with new titles on places like here, you risk having things ruined or spoiled for you in plot heavy games. There are a lot of titles I'd pick up in the new year or when they go down, but there's plenty of AAA titles that are worth picking up at or around launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I also think that's a bit harsh. The collectors editions of certain games are worth the money, AC: Revalations and 3 were well worth the money for the collectors editions.

For a lot of people, this is their past-time, hobby, love. Collecting the memorabilia that's in collectors editions is like a Munster Rugby fan having a signed '12 Jersey, or the gig-goer who has every ticket for every gig they've been to, the Irish soccer fan who follows the team everywhere. Gaming is all that to me and many others.

I love games. I've played them since owning a c64 and I sit in front of my pc for arse-worrying amounts of time but games are just throw away entertainment. I really don't see the value in chucking out loads of money on extras that are essentially filed away as junk/clutter after 10 minutes of leafing through a booklet of concept art.

For all your examples above they're all unique events. You won't look at a piece of tat that came with the CE of any game in the future with any form of nostalgia like you could a ticket stub of that awesome concert you saw with your mates back in yesteryear.

But hey, it's ultimately your/their money. Who am I to stop you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've been to some midnight launches and parties. They can be fun but I normally like to wait a week before playing a game so it has been patched and the meh brigade have left the online matches.

medal of honor is a perfect example studio rolled out lots of quick patches and now the cod and bf3 players are gone we are left with a solid game with the best online community since MAG. No hassle and people know how to play and if someone new shows up they are helped instead of insulted.

But generally it come down to free time if I have a weekend free to myself ill buy a Friday release and play it all weekend if I'm not free it can wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sorry, was a bit drunk last night and the hyperbole machine was in full swing. I just don't get the whole having to buy something on the day of release unless you really want it or have the money for it. Still when I was younger I used to skip lunch in college and go into smyths nearly every friday to get the latest release so not like I never did it either. I just noticed that these days prices are dropping like crazy on anything other than nintendo first party software so it pays to wait. I picked up Mass Effect 2 for 7.50 6 months after release and I see the price of Resi 6 is 30 in Smyths. After Christmas I can see it being in the 15 euro region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

What a ridiculous post !

Most of the games I've bought on release day are MP games. Totally understandable for someone not wanting to miss out on the honeymoon period of these games... Besides the price of games like cod/fifa/wow expansions rarely come down in price until the next game is released.

I've pre-ordered darksouls/dues ex/skyrim/diablo 3 in the last year or so aswel. That's not to say i don't buy games months/years after release. If im only half interested in a get ill wait till its cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Dcully wrote: »
    What ! people actually still walk into shops to buy their games !

Must be over 2 years since i done so.
    Get with it guys and get your games digitally :)

Pre-loading is the best thing ever, able to play the moment it's released (provided the Steam servers don't screw up!).

Has to be a very special game for me before I'd buy it on Day 1 or pre-order. I think I only bought Portal 2 and The Witcher 2 in advance last year, everything else was after release.

(Oh and Legend of Grimrock).

Magill wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post !

Most of the games I've bought on release day are MP games. Totally understandable for someone not wanting to miss out on the honeymoon period of these games... Besides the price of games like cod/fifa/wow expansions rarely come down in price until the next game is released.

I've pre-ordered darksouls/dues ex/skyrim/diablo 3 in the last year or so aswel. That's not to say i don't buy games months/years after release. If im only half interested in a get ill wait till its cheaper.

It took MW2 the bones of 2 years to go platinum on ps3, those are titles that will sell at decent prices for ages after release. compared to stuff like say Bayonetta, I picked that up for about 15 quid a few months after release, there are some things I'll be an early adopter for others will wait, zavvi.com is brilliant for cheap games, think resi 6 is about 33 quid on there now.

Well I've no interest in multiplayer so it doesn't apply to me. Dark Souls was probably the closest to release I have bought a game in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

krudler wrote: »

It took MW2 the bones of 2 years to go platinum on ps3, those are titles that will sell at decent prices for ages after release. compared to stuff like say Bayonetta, I picked that up for about 15 quid a few months after release, there are some things I'll be an early adopter for others will wait, zavvi.com is brilliant for cheap games, think resi 6 is about 33 quid on there now.

Yep. Cod 4 was still like £20 last time i checked on steam.

Magill wrote: »
    Yep. Cod 4 was still like £20 last time i checked on steam.

was in smyths the other day and cod4, w@w and mw2 were all 20 odd quid, they're good entry games for people getting late into consoles. the multiplayer thing is a huge factor in this, sure I still play cod4 online the odd time and its still got full lobbies, you might have to wait a few mins to get into one but people are still there. I've got 100's of hours logged on COD so more than got my moneys worth at this stage, endless hours of play from a game that cost less than a night on the beer isnt bad value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Sorry, was a bit drunk last night and the hyperbole machine was in full swing. I just don't get the whole having to buy something on the day of release unless you really want it or have the money for it. Still when I was younger I used to skip lunch in college and go into smyths nearly every friday to get the latest release so not like I never did it either. I just noticed that these days prices are dropping like crazy on anything other than nintendo first party software so it pays to wait. I picked up Mass Effect 2 for 7.50 6 months after release and I see the price of Resi 6 is 30 in Smyths. After Christmas I can see it being in the 15 euro region.

First things first *rabble rabble rabbl*, *pitchfork*, burn the heretic.

Second, there was some truth in what you have said. I find myself even with all the money that i can spend on games with not enough time to play them or due to steam and their godly sales i have an oversupply of games to play.

I find now i have to be very selective of my day one purchases otherwise it gets put on the back burner. Games like the witcher 2, i bought it at the same time as 3-4 big titles and still havent gone back to it. I will eventually play it but i find that i need to put allot more thought into what i am purchasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was just wondering why people insist on purchasing them as soon as they come out?

Sheer impatience, and anticipation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Last game i bought on release day was binary domain and i only done that to support sega. After when i got it though i seen on zavvi it was being sold for 14.99 , after that i said i never buy a game on release date ever again

Advertisement