Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day One Purchases

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think if I was to buy a game early again, it would probably be a new Infamous, Metroid or the new 3D Zelda. :) Even then the only reason I would buy it early would be if I could get it at a cheap enough price. Otherwise I'd just get them whenever.
    I kind of guessed the multiplayer thing would come into play but as a non multiplayer person myself, it wouldn't be a reason for me to adopt early.

And thanks for all the replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Only games I get day 1 are Halo and GTA.

Going to midnight launches is a bit of craic especially if you go with mates and head home for a LAN afterwards to drink and play games.

In fairness, games on release are not bank breakingly expensive anymore. I got Halo 4 for 44 euro on Release day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Day one pirate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't do midnight releases for games, only consoles. Was in line for PS3 and Wii but bought Vita online.

I've only gotten 4 games at release in just over the last year, 2 from a shop ( no preorders, but got the bonus so thanks HMV), 1 off amazon, and one pre-loaded from PSN (put borderlands 2 on my 2 PS3).

Never bought anything off origin/steam/others at launch as the price is too high and most games i but are either on sale or reduced as they're old.

Have too many games I've not played yet to be adding to them with full price new games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,428 ✭✭✭✭noodler

bit harsh imo.

I've bought plenty of games on day1 release, most recently
    XCOM:Enemy Unknown - still playing it, worth every cent
    ME3 - still playing it, and worth every cent too

But then, being a millionaire playboy I definetly do have more money than sense.

You sexy rich bastard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bought Halo 4 and Black Ops 2, but they're exceptions for which I have zero patience to wait. Otherwise, I tend to rent, wait, or borrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I don't do midnight releases, I did for the wii but was picking up 3 that night with friends so a bought a bunch of pizzas and we turned it into a party. When it comes to day one games if it's something I really have been looking forward to I pick it up that morning. The last few would have been games like skyrim, dark souls, arkham city, battlefield 3, ac3, that kind of thing. If gta5 has a midnight launch I'll be there and for hitman I'll pick it up just after 9am, I also review games so buying early means getting a review out faster too.

As for people having more money than sense, that's not always the case. Some games don't drop in price for months especially if they have the words "call of duty" on the box. You do see the likes of resident evil 6 dropping to 35 pretty quickly but there is waiting for the price to drop on a good game and the price dropping because its rubbish ..like rage which I bought as a day one and it went half price by 6pm that evening on account of it being crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love games. I've played them since owning a c64 and I sit in front of my pc for arse-worrying amounts of time but games are just throw away entertainment. I really don't see the value in chucking out loads of money on extras that are essentially filed away as junk/clutter after 10 minutes of leafing through a booklet of concept art.

For all your examples above they're all unique events. You won't look at a piece of tat that came with the CE of any game in the future with any form of nostalgia like you could a ticket stub of that awesome concert you saw with your mates back in yesteryear.

But hey, it's ultimately your/their money. Who am I to stop you.

But i will look at it with nostalgia. I'm 30 next year and my love for gaming is growing, not dwindling. I recently got, for free, an original PS1 with about 30 perfect condition games, and picking up the cases and reading the booklets brought back such great memories.

Just like the statues of Conor and Ezio and the accompaning Animus edition and savagely cool box that AC3 came in, the Loot Edition Loot boxz from Borderlands 2, the Big Daddy statue, Marcus bobblehead, Fallout bobblehead, Fenix from Gears of War figure and Sam Fisher figure, all are central on my matlepiece or on display on the table in the corner, along with the Zombrex needle pen and Batman: AC keyring, they will all bring me nostalgia in years to come.

As will my Noob Saibot tattoo.

Gaming is central to a lot of peoples lives, definitely mine. As i said already, gaming is my books, gaming is my films and music. It's my favourite hobby and love. Nothing outside of human interaction comes close to the feelings some games can give me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

But i will look at it with nostalgia. I'm 30 next year and my love for gaming is growing, not dwindling. I recently got, for free, an original PS1 with about 30 perfect condition games, and picking up the cases and reading the booklets brought back such great memories.

Just like the statues of Conor and Ezio and the accompaning Animus edition and savagely cool box that AC3 came in, the Loot Edition Loot boxz from Borderlands 2, the Big Daddy statue, Marcus bobblehead, Fallout bobblehead, Fenix from Gears of War figure and Sam Fisher figure, all are central on my matlepiece or on display on the table in the corner, along with the Zombrex needle pen and Batman: AC keyring, they will all bring me nostalgia in years to come.

As will my Noob Saibot tattoo.

Gaming is central to a lot of peoples lives, definitely mine. As i said already, gaming is my books, gaming is my films and music. It's my favourite hobby and love. Nothing outside of human interaction comes close to the feelings some games can give me.

Oh dear :(

I personally feel that's taking it too far but bear in mind that I hold the same opinion about people that deck their houses out with football stuff etc. Again, it's your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This, to me, is perfect. For tattoos, people can be like Apple fans, getting something everyone else has. For me, this tattoo (and the rest to come) tell the story of me. Noob is my favourite character from my favourite series (well, Sub-Zero is, and Noob is the original Sub-Zero, just more evil!).

I think when choosing a tattoo, it should be personal to someone. This is personal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

That to me is as bad as getting a tattoo of Brad Pitt on my arm because one of his movies is personal to me. However I think we can say at this stage we have differing viewpoints on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I've a few friends with gaming related ink done.
    One has the halflife logo, another has pipboy from fallout, my cousin has a gears of war logo, and i'm sure there are loads more that i just can't remember too.

Sadly, i even know someone with an alliance crest from wow, no it's not me, before ye ask :)

Advertisement