Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative roote to Medicine

Options
  • 12-11-2012 2:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭

Is it possible to do medicine having achieved a 4 year degree in physiology. And by how much does this shorten your medicine course? I here its the only other way into medicine other than repeating the leaving cert? Besides I'm not sure about med yet, so I'd be going in the right direction at least. Not to mention that repeating the leaving would be a huge ego blow for the year, ad to the fact that I mightn't get the points after all of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Is it possible to do medicine having achieved a 4 year degree in physiology. And by how much does this shorten your medicine course? I here its the only other way into medicine other than repeating the leaving cert? Besides I'm not sure about med yet, so I'd be going in the right direction at least. Not to mention that repeating the leaving would be a huge ego blow for the year, ad to the fact that I mightn't get the points after all of it

Bad news, you're going to have to take leaving cert english again!

Personally I don't see what grammar has to do with being a good practitioner but apparently its one of the must haves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 207 ✭✭StrugglingSoul

Bad news, you're going to have to take leaving cert english again!

Personally I don't see what grammar has to do with being a good practitioner but apparently its one of the must haves.

That's only if I repeat. I think the reason for that is t make it harder on the repeats which is only fair. I don't think I'd have to sit it otherwise as long as I've passed it before..

Can anyone answer my question??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fractal27

Hey,

Yes you can do medicine after your degree. You can do graduate medicine after any honours degree course as long as you get a 2.1 or better.

If you get a 2.1 you have to sit an exam called Gamsat to get onto a graduate medicine course. Places are then allocated based on gamsat scores.

Graduate medicine is offered at 4 universities in Ireland, RCSI, UCD, UCC and UL.

It would be important to consider that if you have completed your degree you wont be entitled to free fees and these courses are about 15 - 16 thousand a yr.

Graduate medicine in all uni's is a 4 year course as opposed to 5 or 6 years in the undergrad courses.

Good luck.

Advertisement