Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for mature male looking to study nursing?

Options
  • 12-11-2012 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hey guys, (sorry if this is wrong section feel free to move mods) So i am 26, have never found a "real" job, think its time to go the education route to better myself. I want to study nursing, a bit apprehensive being a male. Any guys here studying nursing? Any advice?

Also anyone know what training to be a nurse is like? Is it head in the books for 4 years or is it mostly practical work?

Thanks for any info guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Captain Albection

Hey guys, (sorry if this is wrong section feel free to move mods) So i am 26, have never found a "real" job, think its time to go the education route to better myself. I want to study nursing, a bit apprehensive being a male. Any guys here studying nursing? Any advice?

Also anyone know what training to be a nurse is like? Is it head in the books for 4 years or is it mostly practical work?

I'm not a nurse but there are plenty of male nurses around hospitals these days. I've honestly never seen them treated any way differently to other nurses.

In terms of the course, while there is a lot of study involved, it is slightly more practical work with a lot of learning on the job. Even in first year, they're out on the wards, working with and being trained by the qualified nurses.

It's a demanding career but the feedback that I've gotten about it is that it's also very rewarding (so pretty much like every other career in healthcare). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

My male friend just qualified as a nurse this year. He got on brilliantly in college, gets on well with colleagues, loves what he does and is really good at it.

His boyfriend was in almost the exact same situation as you - about your age, also never had a 'real' job. He's now in the third year of the course and getting on wonderfully.

I definitely wouldn't imagine gender would hold you back. If anything, male nurses I know report somewhat of a gender-related advantage (but one was repeatedly sent to wards with a lit of patient lifting - :D).

I also agree with Captain Albection - lots of practical work, but academic stuff too.

Best of luck, whatever you decide. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Won't make a difference being male in Nursing, plenty around.

4 years study, lot of exams/essays as well as lots of placements on Wards, you used to be paid for 3rd year, a reasonable percentage of what a newly qualified nurse gets but you wont get a penny as its being phased out completely by 2015.

If you want my honest opinion of being a Nurse though its not pretty. If its like it is at the moment when my kids are deciding a career there is NO WAY that I would recommend nursing to them, and not many nurses would at present. Soul destroying.

Positives? Great way to work abroad (Aus,UK etc) Good holiday entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

There are guys of all ages in my class, it's far from unusual. With regards to the course-it's tough, it's frustrating and from what I can see the most physically tough and exhausting undergrad you could do.

If you want to know if you would be suited to it then getting a job as a carer with nurse on call would give you an idea. You'd be working with nurses and can see if it's for you, and see if the hours and lifestyle suit you.

It's not glamorous. You'll have to put up with a lot of ****e but eventually you'll find a field that you absolutely love and will be happy to get up at 6am to work 13 hours in it. I'm only in second year, and I wouldn't change it for 'love nor money'. (Mammy would be proud of that one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Thanks for your replies guys, applying soon. Cant wait to get started :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement