Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Vaio Laptop Won't Turn On Boots Only for 1 Second?

Options
  • 12-11-2012 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey really stuck here. Anyways tried turning my laptop on last night, it kept shutting down re-booting and had it running fine for about 20 minutes. Sensing something was up I ran a few tests during this time on my HDD and ruled out any problem there. Then it eventually shut off and now will not at all turn on. I've tried everything bar strip it down. I've tried booting it with/without the battery or only with it plugged into a main power source. My Screen is perfectly fine and I've tried an ESD. Does anyone have a clue what is wrong here? I'm thinking (dreading) its something to do with the mother board but could be just a power switch that needs niggling about. PLEASE any help would be appreciated it. I'm currently on Erasmus in Spain and don't want to be ripped off if I do need to take it to a shop and really need it for school.

Thanks alot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Possibly an overheating problem, did it ever get very hotm, did you usually put it on top of a bed / cushion / etc, was the fan loud on it? If it would suddenly turn off would you be able to turn it on again immediately or would you have to wait a few seconds?

If it is an overheating problem, the laptop would have to be stripped open.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭oneillryano

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Possibly an overheating problem, did it ever get very hotm, did you usually put it on top of a bed / cushion / etc, was the fan loud on it? If it would suddenly turn off would you be able to turn it on again immediately or would you have to wait a few seconds?

If it is an overheating problem, the laptop would have to be stripped open.

Not really, I occasionally put it on my bed but usually was always in my counter top. When it shut down it'd usually go back on straight away. Hmmm I'm sure it's hardware related now. Would you think an over heating problem would be worth paying the money to fix it or just buy a new one? Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

Faulty/damaged USB port can cause startup issues

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yeah putting laptops on a duvet are a big no no, the duvet can block all air vents so can cause overheating issues. The fan inside the machine may also have failed. If your handy with computers open the machine up and see if there is a large build up of dust on the heatsink next to the fan. It may be as simple as a pile up of dust needs removing

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭oneillryano

Thanks for all the help/suggestions guys. The laptop is now working fine which is really strange, may have been an overheating problem but the fan never got loud so to speak. That or a dodgy power supply connection, hopefully it lasts me till I get home!

Ryan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement