Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating overflow tank

• 12-11-2012 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi,
    Had a problem with the central heating overflow tank last night. The pipe that runs from the boiler (recessed in a chimney breast downstairs) to the tank (at the higest level in the converted attic) started to drench the place. Luckily I caught it on time and some plasterwork was affected but should dry out.
    It was just the pipe was not sitting in right in the tank and was just lying over the top pointing upward (qualpex) and so the flow wasn't falling into the tank but escaping.
    I just need to put an elbow and a short length of qualpex on to get the water to make it safely into the open tank.
    But it is normal that this pipe is having water flow like a tap? The rads still heat up but I am just wondering why this hasn't happened before.
    Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I think your actually talking about the vent pipe, and if you have water coming out of this constantly then you have a problem (pitching)that will eventually cause the system to sludge up, you will need a plumber to look at it.
    If its just a one off then its possible the system overheated for some reason.

What boiler ??

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Thanks,
    It is a Myson. It has a switch to choose between three setting 1/2/3. It was set at 2. I turned off the heating and switched it to 3 to see if it made any difference but still 'pitching'. Only pitches when heat is on. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

I'm afraid that if its pitching then its very likely its always been doing so, you need a plumber out, a few alterations to the system should cure the problem but its likely it will require a flush.

Advertisement