Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting an Irish Driving Licence to a Canadian one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Regarding the letter of entitlement - I got mine recently and yes you can just email them but I wouldn't be expecting a fast reply it would be a lot faster to ring them.It just shows your penalty points and the date from - to of your full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

Son wrote: »
    Regarding the letter of entitlement - I got mine recently and yes you can just email them but I wouldn't be expecting a fast reply it would be a lot faster to ring them.It just shows your penalty points and the date from - to of your full licence.

Thanks for that I might just call instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

Just a question about Alberta, i seen this post below:
    gary27 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to have the british licence for a certain period of time before you can do a straight swap for a Canadian one.

I pulled some information with regard to Alberta and driving with a irish licence,
    site link http://www.servicealberta.ca/1741.cfm

Visitors to Alberta

If you are visiting Alberta from outside the country, you must have your valid home jurisdiction drivers licence and an International Drivers Permit to drive on Alberta roads. You may drive in Alberta up to 1 year.

If you are visiting Alberta from another province, you may drive using your home jurisdiction licence.

I am playing on moving to Calgary, and will possibly purchase a car when i am there. I have a full Irish driving licence for the last 6 years with 7 years no claims.

There just seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this.

If i hope to buy a car in Alberta, do i need to have a Canadian driving licence? I heard you have to be driving on a UK licence 2 years before you can swap which is no good, so if i had an international driving licence could i swap?

But in this part of the above post it states that you just need your home country i.e. Irish driving licence and an international driving licence to drive in Alberta
    gary27 wrote: »
    Visitors to Alberta

If you are visiting Alberta from outside the country, you must have your valid home jurisdiction drivers licence and an International Drivers Permit to drive on Alberta roads. You may drive in Alberta up to 1 year.

Does that mean that you dont need to get your licence converted to a Canadian one? Or does that just cover driving i.e. driving a rental car, not actually purchasing your own?

Thanks in advance

From what I've been told also is you can't buy a car without alberta licence as you can't register it without insurance and its very difficult and or very expensive to get insurance on a non canadian licence.

International drivers permit is a translation of a foreign licence so it offers no other benefit as your licence is in english and your Irish licence is valid for 3 months or 90 days.

Heres some links that help

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

http://www.insuranceab.com/how-to-get-car-insurance-quotes-in-alberta.html

http://www.insuranceab.com/how-to-switch-auto-insurance-from-othercountries-to-alberta.html

And don't buy a vehicle that requires an out of province inspection ie: So if the vehicle originally came from another province it has to be inspected and registered which could end up being costly

Son wrote: »
    From what I've been told also is you can't buy a car without alberta licence as you can't register it without insurance and its very difficult and or very expensive to get insurance on a non canadian licence.

International drivers permit is a translation of a foreign licence so it offers no other benefit as your licence is in english and your Irish licence is valid for 3 months or 90 days.

Heres some links that help

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

http://www.insuranceab.com/how-to-get-car-insurance-quotes-in-alberta.html

http://www.insuranceab.com/how-to-switch-auto-insurance-from-othercountries-to-alberta.html

Cheers dude, if i wasnt going to buy a car, could i get by on using the Irish licence or do i need to convert to AB licence?

Also, is taking a driving test mandatory when buying a car i.e. to get your licence converted to an Alberta one, no matter if you have the UK driving licence?

• Advertisement

I can only tell you what i've read online as Im not there yet,the poster above has bought and insured a car with an Irish licence so it can be done but you probably pay over the odds for insurance,although I don't think they are in Alberta.

I plan on buying a car as soon as I can because the place is so big it would open up alot of job opportunities.Its hard enough to get around without one ive heard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Lads,

The test is easy. A lot of people spend too much time and exert so much effort trying to get around it, they might as well do the test.

I mean, having to take a lesson or 2, and sit a test so you know the laws, is that such a bad or daunting thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Jonty wrote: »
    Lads,

The test is easy. A lot of people spend too much time and exert so much effort trying to get around it, they might as well do the test.

I mean, having to take a lesson or 2, and sit a test so you know the laws, is that such a bad or daunting thing?

Sounds grand to me. If you fail can you just re-take it straight away?

Sounds grand to me. If you fail can you just re-take it straight away?

I think if you fail you have to wait another year, which is the most daunting thing considering you are only there for a year - 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Why I would be reluctant to give up my Irish licence for a Canadian one is that when we get back here we would have to do the test here again? All the lessons and that ****e in Ireland would be a killer. I could be wrong and would love if I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

In Ontario you don't need to surrender you're Irish one once you get the Canadian one after passing the test. The worry is that if you fail the test you must stay on their version of a provisional and have an accompanying driver for 1 year before you can re-sit the full test. So get lessons. Much easier get insurance on a Canadian license but I can't seem to get any credit for my Irish driving and insurance history so insurance is pricey!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

As far as I am aware you do in BC.

Which means coming back to Ireland and doing lessons in a couple of years. Do not fancy that at all.

Hi Guys

So trying to call the NDLS to get the letter of entitlement but you cannot call them from abroad as their new number 0761 is treated like 1890 and 1850 and can only be called from Ireland. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Email - info@ndls.ieEmail - info@ndls.ie either email your question or ask them for their number for people calling from outside Ireland

Email - info@ndls.ieEmail - info@ndls.ie either email your question or ask them for their number for people calling from outside Ireland

Ya I have tried that been waiting a week for a reply. Bloody hate they moved this from the tax office. It is also ridiculous you cannot call from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Phone the Tax office and ask them to transfer your call?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bizguy

Hopefully by early next year, the Ontario licence swap agreement will be in place.

While waiting on your Canadian provincial licence to arrive in the post, is there a cover letter you can use to buy a car or must you wait til the licence arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

ustari wrote: »
    Why I would be reluctant to give up my Irish licence for a Canadian one is that when we get back here we would have to do the test here again? All the lessons and that ****e in Ireland would be a killer. I could be wrong and would love if I was.

No, you don't have to do the test again when you come home. The only way you have to sit your test in Ireland is if you let your license expire and don't renew it within ten years after expiry.

Just report your Irish license as lost and they give you a new one no questions. But I think Ireland might want to take your canadian license away if you tell them you have one.

As far as buying a car, it is definitely possible using an Irish license (in BC anyway). I own one and I'm still on my Irish license (doing my Canadian test next week). In BC anyway, you buy the car, get the slips and bring your slips and license and other forms (NCB etc) to an insurance broker. Every broker in BC sells ICBC insurance- different companies, same provincial insurance.

I was really worried when I bought my car that she wouldn't accept my irish license and I'd be stuck with a car I can't drive. I showed her the license and she didn't bat an eye at it, got insurance and plates that day.. easy. Mind you I didn't have any NCB so I can't speak for that.

Technically, you can buy a car/ drive on an Irish license up to three months after your arrival. I was worried about that so four months in, I went to the states and came back to 'reset' the clock. They didn't even question my arrival date. I was stopped by cops twice after i had used my irish license for over 8 months in both Alberta and BC. First guy said nothing, second guy told me 'You need to change your license over after three months here (BC)'. I said I'll get on it.. and now I'm in the process.

So long story short, the insurance people don't really care about the license thing. They probably won't give you a good rate and you might have to work to get your NCB, but they will insure you on an irish license no problem. If they won't, tell them you'll try a broker that will, they'll change their minds fast. I pay $130 a month with 0 no claims. Not that bad really. So you can use your license here, just work on getting a BC or Alberta one when you get here. (A visitor can drive up to a year in alberta!)

Make sure you:
    Get your driver record
    Get a spare Irish driving license before you leave (report lost and get replacement), because they take your irish license when you get a canadian one. (If you want to be able to drive in Ireland instantly when you return).

Durag wrote: »
    Just a question about Alberta, i seen this post below:

Does that mean that you dont need to get your licence converted to a Canadian one? Or does that just cover driving i.e. driving a rental car, not actually purchasing your own?

Thanks in advance

As far as I am aware, you can buy and insure car in Alberta using an Irish License. I got stopped driving a BC car in Alberta using an Irish license and there was no problems with it. Call up an Alberta insurance broker and ask them what you need to give them.

• Advertisement

Getting insurance on a foreign licence is always going to be more difficult an expensive though,make sure you have a current drivers abstract from Ireland.Only get it just before you leave,its needed for a lot of jobs as well as you won't have any Canadian abstract.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I originally held a German driving license and drove with it in Ireland for as long as I've been driving. (I did my test in Germany years back while studying there... ) Whilst in Ireland, I obtained a 5 year no claims bonus.

Here in Canada, I swapped the German license for a Canadian one as part of the exchange program.
    When I return to Ireland, I assume its not possible to get insured on the Canadian license. I guess if I cannot swap the Canadian license back for the German license, I would need to do the Irish test to get an Irish license as the exchange program between Ireland & Canada doesn't seem like its going to happen anytime soon.

If i have to do the Irish test and obtain an Irish license, will my no claims bonus that I incurred under the German license still be considered ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

Anybody hear any update on possible dates for the introduction Alberta/Ireland reciprocal licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Its pretty easy.
    Just hand in your irish license.
    Get approved.
    Do 30 questions, pass 25.
    Its handy out.
    Then get a 2 driving tests under your belt
    Then drive it.

It wont be till next year or the year after I,d say before they have any agreement in place.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

The license swap for Ireland and Ontario is closer than we thought. Apparently before Sept we should have something in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭johnnyc67

I know a lot has been covered here.. just a quick simple question folks..

A friend is moving to Saskatoon and has a full Irish licence for years (over ten), has his abstract etc..

He pretty much needs his Saskatoon licence straight away, he has no pay slip, bank accounts rent agreements etc.. so the question is what exactly does he need to bring to the office to exchange the Irish for Saskatoon licence.. or does he have to wait for a while to get proof of address etc..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

I exchanged my Irish licence for class 5 sask licence.

He will need to prove he is living there so provides the address where your staying as the licence is posted out.You get a temp licence card immediately at SGI office and thats good enough to drive straight away.

As far as I remember I had opened a bank account,also had to get a letter from my landlord to confirm I was staying there,passport & work permit,drivers abstact and Irish licence.I got my SIN number and everything sorted first so I had all the id needed,all the info you need will be on the SGI website.Bring your no claims bonus too,everything helps

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Anybody hear any update on possible dates for the introduction Alberta/Ireland reciprocal licence?

Apparently its going to happen very soon, within the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I live in Seattle just south of Vancouver. I've been here over 10 years, previously in California. I've done an Irish test, a UK test, a California test and a Washington test.

American drivers are bad (the tests takes about half an hour total). But BC drivers are even worse. You see a car with BC plates on it and you give it a wide berth, they're liable to do anything at any moment.

And driving in British Colombia is like new dehli in super slow motion. 60Kph is considered reckless high speed. Its like driving in a city full of really old people.

SO if you have to give up your Irish licence to get a Canadian one, if you'd have to do the Irish test again if you go back I'd seriously consider jst doing the Canadian test and keeping your Irish Licence. The canadian test can not take very long given their displayed skills so dont be afraid that its going to be as involved as taking an Irish test.

Just a thought. Can you actually get your Irish Licence back if you go back to Ireland without retaking the test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

In Ireland can you swap a Canadian License for an Irish one?

I would seriously hope not given the disparity in standards.

Advertisement