Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting an Irish Driving Licence to a Canadian one

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I live in Seattle just south of Vancouver. Just a thought. Can you actually get your Irish Licence back if you go back to Ireland without retaking the test?

If the is mutual recognition of licences then you can just swap your Canadian one for an Irish one. It is unlikely that BC or anywhere else will recognise Irish licences without some recognition of their licence in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Nope you cannot swap a Canadian for an Irish.

I contacted the RSAin Ireland last year, they said that as long as your Irish license hasn't expired more than 10 years you can get your irish license back without re-sitting the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

fergusb wrote: »
    Nope you cannot swap a Canadian for an Irish.

I contacted the RSAin Ireland last year, they said that as long as your Irish license hasn't expired more than 10 years you can get your irish license back without re-sitting the test.

Thats good to know.

I'm over ten years here so I'm glad I hung on to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Apparently its going to happen very soon, within the next few months.

Where did you hear this, kid?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Thats good to know.

I'm over ten years here so I'm glad I hung on to mine.

You will be able to exchange an Ontario license to an Irish one as part of the exchange program coming in.... its a reciprocal arrangement..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

el diablo wrote: »
    Where did you hear this, kid?

Either the Irish Ambassador to Canada or me mates on the corner, cant remember which.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just got my BC learners permit last week, both for the car and for the motorbike, its such a pain in the balls that you can't just straight swap over, 2 times I've been there and there has been an English and an Aussie just converting theirs over. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IrishCad88

I exchanged my licence in Saskatchewan two years ago. Just back in Ireland now, and wondering what is the position with changing it back. From what I read on the citizensinformation website, I have to resit the test again and go through all that bull... Was a piece of cake transferring it in SK, just went in, took a photo, took my details and boom.. licence in the post in five days. Here it seems that they are not offering the same :( They recognize it in N. Ireland, but they only issue you with an Automatic licence. Honestly, after driving in -40/-50 for 2 years on snow packed highways of ice that were lethal, you'd think they'd be glad to put me on the road here :(

IrishCad88 wrote: »
    I exchanged my licence in Saskatchewan two years ago. Just back in Ireland now, and wondering what is the position with changing it back. From what I read on the citizensinformation website, I have to resit the test again and go through all that bull... Was a piece of cake transferring it in SK, just went in, took a photo, took my details and boom.. licence in the post in five days. Here it seems that they are not offering the same :( They recognize it in N. Ireland, but they only issue you with an Automatic licence. Honestly, after driving in -40/-50 for 2 years on snow packed highways of ice that were lethal, you'd think they'd be glad to put me on the road here :(

Tell them you lost your license. Then they'll issue you with a replacement license?

Bleedin' joke that it's taking them so long to sort out the reciprocal agreement between Ireland and the remaining Canadian provinces.

Anyone know when the agreement between Ireland and Alberta will be in place?

So I need to obtain a letter of entitlement from NDLS and no no claims bonus certs from previous insurance companies in Ireland?

Don't think I fancy doing another driving test. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

The province of Manitoba is now recognised along with Ontario for the purpose of Exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Still waiting here in BC. Gonna do the test instead of waiting around.

Advertisement