Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to NYC alone

Options
  • 12-11-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi there

I'm heading to NYC soon on my own (woman in late twenties), just getting away for a while. I've been four times already over the years so I know it pretty well.

Is there anything I shouldn't do there given I'm on my own? I've always felt relatively safe there but I was always with someone. I'm going to be staying downtown. I am happy to eat out on my own etc but I don't want to draw attention to myself either.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I don't think I can think of anything to avoid doing that you probably don't already do.

What's worth noting though is that I've seen waiters seat single women at a restaurant but not give them the menu right away as they expect that they're waiting for someone else to join them first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

Thanks for the reply, good to know.

Would anyone recommend any hotels that are good for relaxing with a nice bar etc? I haven't booked the hotel yet but wanted something downtown as I thought there might be more places to chill out down that direction? Thank you..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Well, I guess it also depends on what you are defining as 'downtown'.

For me downtown is anywhere south of Greenwich Village/ East Village. You probably don't want to go too far south as the financial district is exactly what it sounds like and not a place IMHO to look for a hotel. There are loads of threads over in the main travel forum with info on good and bad hotels.
    Depending on how long you're planning on staying, you could always look at renting an apartment rather than taking a hotel.

map_hoods4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

I was thinking around Greenwich Village/East Village/Tribeca. I will take a look at that thread, thank you..

• Site Banned Posts: 8 rico27

Don't think too much. As you have said, you have been to NYC for four times already (but with someone) well for this case, safety is not an issue. Go enjoy your time alone.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hi there

I am happy to eat out on my own etc but I don't want to draw attention to myself either.

If you are a lone diner, the hostess will probably try and steer you towards sitting up at the bar, so that she they can save the restaurant tables for bigger parties, and she won't have to listen to the servers whinge about not making as big a tip off a single diner as they will off a larger party. If you are cool sitting at the bar by yourself, (and probably getting hit on :rolleyes: ) fair enough. If you aren't, put your foot down and insist on a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I used Hotwire.com for my hotels last week. I selected 4 star and checked the areas of relevance, I ended up in some really nice places for about 50-60% of the cost of the hotel sites as well as some other travel sites.

The down side is not knowing what hotel you will get until you book, but choosing 4 star took away any nerves I might have been having before hand.

The hotels weren't exactly cheap.... About $1300 for 5 nights but it was definitely worth it for me.

Advertisement