Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options
  • 12-11-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

So I’m jumping on the band wagon and have decided to start my own log. I’ve been promised by some of the experts on here that it will keep me motivated over the winter, so with visions of me chomping at the bit to get out jogging, here it goes!

A little bit about me, I’m a 33 year old female, been running on and off for about 3 years, but very intermittent up until this year when I decided I wanted to run DCM. I followed Hal Higdon Novice 2 for the marathon and was delighted to beat my target by 3 minutes, 3:57. I felt the marathon couldn’t have gone better, followed the 4 hour pacers until mile 20 and then pushed on. Got a negative split, didn’t hit the wall or experience any severe fatigue, in fact I felt perfect 5 minutes after the marathon, so I am beginning to wonder now if I didn’t push myself hard enough. I think I have a tendency towards conservatism when it comes to setting goals!

I have almost 900 miles run this year so far, so should have no problem hitting 1000 miles by the end of the year. Seems like a long time ago that I set that goal on a cold January evening!

I haven’t ran many races, only one 10k, one half marathon, and one marathon. My times are as follows:

10k (April): 48:50
    ½ Marathon (August): 1:48:30
    Marathon (DCM): 3:57:47

So my immediate goals are to hit 1000 miles for the year, and race the Waterford ½ marathon in December. I think I will follow the 1:45 pacers as my legs are still a bit tired from the marathon and I don’t want to push it too much. I would aim then to do a 1:40 half in the Spring. Slightly longer term, I would like to run Cork City Marathon in June. I am possibly dreaming, but I have it in my head that I would like to do a Sub 3:30…. Is this a pipe dream?

I intend to follow one of the P&D plans, have downloaded the book and am ready to get stuck in, so I will go from a max of 37 miles on HH2 to a max of 55 miles. I think I could definitely work on my nutrition as well, I ate nothing but rubbish in the run up to DCM.

So here it goes, any advice or comments very welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I took a few days off after the marathon, went to London the following weekend with my sisters, had a great time, drank too much wine! So it was a touch sluggishly that I hit the pavement last Tuesday with my little training partner, my Cocker Spaniel, Libby. 2 miles on Tues, 4 on Wed, 2 on Thurs and 6 on Saturday, all done at a fairly handy 9:20-9:40 pace.

Felt surprisingly stiff after each of my runs, the niggles that I had during the marathon, reared their heads again, scar tissue on left knee and my hamstrings both niggly, but nothing serious, but I’ll be keeping a close eye on them over the next few weeks.

Plan for this week; Mon – Rest, Tues – 3, Wed – 5 incl strides, Thurs - 2, Fri – Rest, Sat – 8, Sun – 3 Recovery, Total – 21 miles.

This will be the first week ever that I am running 5 days, but I have an engagement party on Saturday night, so that 3 mile recovery could go out the window!

Also, I am thinking of joining a running club, what are people’s thoughts on this? How would it fit in with the P&D training plan? I just think it would be good motivation and it would be nice to get out running with other people as I am normally a lone wolf when it comes to running!

My little training buddy Libby, panned out in front of the fire after Saturdays 6 miles.... I confirm that she is not dead, merely tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm a running club evangelist, I think they're great for your development as a runner. P&D has one faster session a week in the marathon plan anyway, so go to one fast club session a week - it doesn't have to be exactly the same type of session. You'll probably also find people in the club who are training for marathons with similar target times, so you might be able to meet people for some of your longer runs. I still do most of my running on my own, but running with other people now and again is great for breaking up the monotony.

There was no harm in being conservative in your first marathon. Better to be a bit slower, and enjoy it, than to be too fast and suffer through the second half. Running shorter races as well (or doing the faster sessions in a club) is a good way to push yourself, so when you come back to the longer distances you have more confidence and will take more of a risk with your targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I can't keep up with all these new logs!

Best of luck with it! 3.30 is not mad at all, you can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

ncmc wrote: »
    My little training buddy Libby, panned out in front of the fire after Saturdays 6 miles.... I confirm that she is not dead, merely tired!

How many miles has Libby clocked this year? Hope she is following the 10% rule:).

Best of luck with the new log,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck with the log and your running, you have great times in the races you have completed and a great first marathon time!!

You will see great improvements as the log is a great motivator and will keep you on the straight & narrow and you will get great advice, motivation and encouragement as you move through years from the Guys & Gals here on Boards!!:D

dazza21ie wrote: »
    How many miles has Libby clocked this year? Hope she is following the 10% rule:).

Best of luck with the new log,
    Libby has taken to hiding upstairs when she sees me putting on my running gear! Lazy mare :rolleyes: I only take her on the short runs before anyone calls the ISPCA on me :D. I'd say she could easily run a half marathon at this stage.... maybe i'll get her a mini 'Boards AC' t-shirt and bring her to Waterford with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

What's the plan for Waterford?

I dare you to run 1.40 with me :p

What's the plan for Waterford?

I dare you to run 1.40 with me :p
    I'm really in two minds about Waterford! On one hand, my knee is still a bit sore and am thinking it might be best to play it safe and go for 1:45, then another part of me is saying stop being such a wimp and go for it! I think i'll wait another week or so and see how the legs feel then. My previous half was 1:48, so I don't know, might be a bit of a stretch to go for 1:40?

I'm really in two minds about Waterford! On one hand, my knee is still a bit sore and am thinking it might be best to play it safe and go for 1:45, then another part of me is saying stop being such a wimp and go for it! I think i'll wait another week or so and see how the legs feel then. My previous half was 1:48, so I don't know, might be a bit of a stretch to go for 1:40?
    emo16.gif

• Advertisement

^^^^ I'll be blaming you so if i'm throwing up at the finish line! :cool:

^^^^ I'll be blaming you so if i'm throwing up at the finish line! :cool:
    Yippee I'll take full responsibility :D

Having a bit of a disaster of a week for me, there was a bereavement in the family on Monday and I have to travel up home for the funeral tonight. Missed last nights run, intended to get up and go for a run this morning, but put the alarm on snooze and that was the end of that. Not going to get out this evening with travelling either, so will get out for 4/5 miles tomorrow morning before the funeral (not going to attempt the strides this week as my head is a bit frazzled and I need to figure out how to do laps on my Garmin so will leave that until next week) maybe 3 miles on Friday evening and then a 10 mile LSR on Saturday afternoon. It’s not ideal cramming all the runs together like that I know, and it’s only three runs instead of 5, but it’s been a weird sort of week and I’ll be back on track next week hopefully.

I have to say I’m not very confident about the Waterford half now, feel like I’m lacking quality runs since DCM, but hopefully a good dose of HTFU on the day will get me through! Realistically, Waterford will be my last tough run of the year, will take it handy through Christmas and hopefully start the P&D plan in January with refreshed, energised legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Sorry to hear about your loss ncmc.
    If I were you I wouldn't be putting yourself under too much pressure to get out running,after all the training for the marathon a bit of extra rest my be a little blessing in disguise.A bit like the LSRs being done slowly the rest can really benefit you in the long run.

Waterford half marathon will take care of itself,like a lot of other boardies there seems to be an eagerness to get out there & run as fast as possible.Again my advice is not think/worry about it too much until much closer to the time & then see how your feeling.

docjewel wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your loss ncmc.
    If I were you I wouldn't be putting yourself under too much pressure to get out running,after all the training for the marathon a bit of extra rest my be a little blessing in disguise.A bit like the LSRs being done slowly the rest can really benefit you in the long run.

Waterford half marathon will take care of itself,like a lot of other boardies there seems to be an eagerness to get out there & run as fast as possible.Again my advice is not think/worry about it too much until much closer to the time & then see how your feeling.
    Thanks Doc, I appreciate that. You're right of course, a couple of missed runs aren't going to do me any harm and I'm not going to worry too much about Waterford either. At this stage, if I'm a bit slower than i'd like in a 1/2 marathon, it's not the end of the world. There's plenty of time to get a PB before Cork City Marathon in June.

Having a bit of a disaster of a week for me, there was a bereavement in the family on Monday and I have to travel up home for the funeral tonight. Missed last nights run, intended to get up and go for a run this morning, but put the alarm on snooze and that was the end of that. Not going to get out this evening with travelling either, so will get out for 4/5 miles tomorrow morning before the funeral (not going to attempt the strides this week as my head is a bit frazzled and I need to figure out how to do laps on my Garmin so will leave that until next week) maybe 3 miles on Friday evening and then a 10 mile LSR on Saturday afternoon. It’s not ideal cramming all the runs together like that I know, and it’s only three runs instead of 5, but it’s been a weird sort of week and I’ll be back on track next week hopefully.

I have to say I’m not very confident about the Waterford half now, feel like I’m lacking quality runs since DCM, but hopefully a good dose of HTFU on the day will get me through! Realistically, Waterford will be my last tough run of the year, will take it handy through Christmas and hopefully start the P&D plan in January with refreshed, energised legs.
    Sorry to hear that Nc. Like Docjewel said don't be worrying about missing the odd run. I feel bad now for putting stupid pressure on you about Waterford :(

Sorry to hear that Nc. Like Docjewel said don't be worrying about missing the odd run. I feel bad now for putting stupid pressure on you about Waterford :(
    Thanks Career Move, ah no don't be silly, I'll enjoy Waterford once I get going and it's no harm to push myself a wee bit. Worst case scenario, I have to fall back a bit and finish a bit slower, no biggie! Since you'll be finished first, you can get the beers in :D

So I’ve been AWOL for the last few days. My dear old Gran passed away last Monday at the grand old age of 95, she was an amazing woman, one of a kind. She had the most wicked sense of humour and was known to knock bishops, barristers and politicians down several notches with her razor sharp wit!

So running wise, a total disaster of a week last week. Between the funeral, travelling up and down the country, plus a couple too many drinks on Wednesday night meant I only got out for ONE run last week! It was with rusty legs (for me) and rusty paws (for Libby) that we hit the trail on Saturday afternoon. Did 9.5 miles @ 9:30 mins per mile (6.7 miles at 9:50 for Libby!) I did attempt to throw a pyramid in there, but I had already run 7 miles at that stage and the 40 seconds nearly killed me! I settled for a couple of miles at HMP instead.

Overall, I enjoyed the run, but the scar tissue on my knee is still sore, I thought it would have eased up by now, especially after the easy week last week, so a bit worried about that.

The plan for this week as robbed from the DCM graduates thread:

Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
    Rest 4 mile easy Session* 2m easy/recovery 4m easy with strides rest/cross 8-11 miles LSR

The session is 1 mile easy, 2 miles HMP, 1 mile easy, 2 mile HMP, 1 mile easy. I am travelling up country on Friday, so will take Friday as a rest day, do the LSR on Saturday and then do 4 miles recovery on Sunday. Will leave the strides for yet another week, realistically I’m probably not going to start those until after the half marathon on Dec 1st.

My diet and lifestyle has been atrocious the last few weeks. I was out drinking 3 times in the last week, which of course involved a few sneaky cigarettes and eating junk the next day. I am the heaviest I have been in ages, so I am on total detox this week, alcohol and coffee are being replaced by green tea, junk food is being replaced by fruit and veg, cigarettes are being replaced with…… ehm…. Pyramid strides! So far, the detox hasn’t gone exactly to plan, I’ve had two cups of strong coffee and 2 toffee pops already this morning, but hey, it’s a work in progress!

4.5 miles done 9:12 min average.

Was dreading this weeks running for some reason, feel I've list my running mojo a bit since the marathon, but quite enjoyed this evenings run.

4.5 miles done, 9:27 min average.

Knee ok, but my metatarsal on my right foot is playing up since last night! Was really painful when I was out dog walking this morning, but was ok tonight. Just gonna have to keep an eye on it I suppose.

On the good news front, just clocked up my 900th mile so far this year! Injuries aside, I should have no problem hitting 1000... Woohoo!

• Advertisement

Great going! Hopefully see ya in Waterford!

So did my 7 mile session last night, 1 mile easy, 2 HMP, 1 easy, 2 HMP, 1 easy. Never have I needed so much HTFU to get out running! It was cold and windy, the hubby had lit a giant fire, him and the dog were curled up in front of it, he was like “leave the run for today” No I said, will feel guilty reading everyone else’s logs and feeling like a fat lazy lump! So off I go into the cold night frown.png.

I figured out that my Garmin does do all these wonderful things that other peoples do, I was just too much of a luddite to figure out how to use it! So I now know how to set it up that it automatically does mile laps and also set it up to alert me if I went slower than 8 min mile or faster than 7 min mile (yeah right!) for my fast miles. God, reading the manual is a wonderful thing! Better 9 months late than never! biggrin.png

My laps were as follows:

Mile 1 – 10:18
    Mile 2 – 7:53
    Mile 3 – 7:46
    Mile 4 – 9:37
    Mile 5 – 7:53
    Mile 6 – 7:45
    Mile 7 – 9:45

Enjoyed it in a sadistic sort of way, but hard to see how I can keep that HMP pace up for 13 miles next Saturday! redface.png

Was going to do a 2 mile recovery run this morning…. But yeah, the snooze was hit, the run was cancelled. Not going to get it done this evening as I am driving up home, so will do my 11 mile LSR tomorrow and maybe 2 mile recovery on Sunday instead.

So, I've been off the interweb grid for a few days. Did an 11 mile LSR on a lovely crisp, cold Saturday morning. There's something lovely about running in the cold, but I always find I nearly cough up a lung when I get back into the heat!

Sat 24th November - 11 miles @ 9:30 mins per mile

So you havn't ran in 8 days? :rolleyes:

You skimping?! :P

blockic wrote: »
    So you havn't ran in 8 days? :rolleyes:

You skimping?! :P
    As if :eek:

Not only am I not skimping, but I ran 2 miles recovery..... this morning :p

I got bored doing my own log and I can never think of anything to put in it, so I am clinging limpet style to everyone elses logs instead :D

Not only am I not skimping, but I ran 2 miles recovery..... this morning :p
    :D:D:D

emo26.gif

I got bored doing my own log and I can never think of anything to put in it, so I am clinging limpet style to everyone elses logs instead :D

Fair enough, leave the lonely log trickle down into the unknown back pages of the Training Log forum! Poor log.:(

It might get rectified one day and be back at the glory page 1.:P I still have hope!:)

blockic wrote: »
    Fair enough, leave the lonely log trickle down into the unknown back pages of the Training Log forum! Poor log.:(

It might get rectified one day and be back at the glory page 1.:P I still have hope!:)
    Ok, ok, sheesh, it’s like my conscience talking! :rolleyes:

So quick update of the last week or so:

Ran in the rain
    Ran in the mud
    Ran in the cold
    Ran on ice
    Nearly fell on my backside x 3

Missed the Waterford ½ as you all know, gutted now as it’s sounded like a great (if challenging) run. And some great PB’s by my fellow Boardsies! :D

All the great times have given me the kick up the bum that I needed though, I was coasting along for the last few weeks, so now I know I need to get my butt moving if I don’t want to become ‘the slow one’! :eek:

Don’t know when my next race will be, I can’t make Dungarvan and I can’t see any other convenient race round that time. I have entered the Ballycotton 10 on March 3rd, but would like to get another race in before that.

Haven’t managed any speed work over the last couple of weeks, was going to do some intervals last night, but it was just too slippy. Might try and get to a track early next week.

Have been out 4 times already this week which is a record for me! Will do a 10/12 mile LSR on Saturday and that will finish me off for the week. Work Christmas party on Saturday, so I think a well earned rest is called for on Sunday! :pac:

10.3 miles done @ 9:02 average.

Trying to pick up my pace a bit on my LSR's.

Off to my Christmas party tonight knowing that I've 5 runs done this week... A new record!

• Advertisement

Oh dear, really let my log slide for the last few weeks. Have had pretty sketchy running over the whole of Christmas, managed to get my 1000 miles completed last year…… Just! Had to go running on NYE to achieve it, but achieve it I did :D

Getting stuck back into the training this week, starting P&D plan in two weeks and as it stands, that’s going to be a major shock to the system mileage and speed wise, so have to get a couple of quality weeks running in first.

Weighed myself this morning for the first time since Christmas…. Oh dear, I nearly dropped the Crunchie I was eating in shock :eek::eek::eek:

So, major diet overhaul required in addition to the extra running…. I hate January :mad::mad::mad:

So the plan this week:

Mon: 5 miles easy
    Tues: Rest
    Wed: Session - 1 mile easy- 2 miles MP (8:00)- 2 miles HMP (7:37)- 2 miles MP (8:00)- 2 miles HMP (7:37)- 1 mile easy
    Thurs: 4 miles recovery
    Fri: 6 miles easy
    Sat: 12 miles LSR
    Sun: Rest

Will be my highest mileage in a loooooong time, so hopefully will be up to it! :o

Advertisement