Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    What he's trying to say is the pair of us will be on the bridge in New Ross - if you bring something to eat with the tea we'll let you in. Otherwise... :P

Bullying other Culchies as well as the Dubs...
    You can't afford to burn any more bridges :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

rasher_m wrote: »
    Bullying other Culchies as well as the Dubs...
    You can't afford to burn any more bridges :pac:

Typical Dub - it always ends in talk of arson! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Typical Dub - it always ends in talk of arson! :P

I'm so glad you corrected that sentence, I thought it was some crazy culchie lingo meaning you were going to burn my house down. :eek:

You're gonna need to bring a LOT of fig rolls if you come to visit...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Ok fig rolls... Check. Was already planning to bring a flask of tea and ham sandwiches for a picnic afterwards :)

My culchie credentials are definitely all in order, born in Cavan, reared in Monaghan, living in Cork county. I may be the culchiest person doing the HM :)

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    My culchie credentials are definitely all in order, born in Cavan, reared in Monaghan, living in Cork county. I may be the culchiest person doing the HM :)

Visitors could be checked for wellie marks on the backs of legs. Sounds like you can go in the express queue though N :D

Wednesday – 5 miles @ 9:28 – Legs were VERY tired after 21 miles the previous day and I was dressed too warmly, so this really felt like a slog.

Thursday – 12 miles @ 9:02 – Was still a bit tired heading out on this run, took me a long time to warm up and get into the running grove. Plus I got rained on (again) I am seriously sick of this weather.

Was meant to get up at 6:00am and do 5 miles recovery this morning….. surprise, surprise, that didn’t happen and I am driving up to Monaghan tonight to babysit my nieces and nephews for the weekend so I don’t think I’ll get that run in. I don’t mind too much, once I’m getting 90% of the runs in, I think I’ll be fine and I think minding a 16 yo, 4 yo, 3 yo and 11 month old counts as at least 7 miles running :pac:

Just my last LT run to look forward to on Sunday. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it; when Meno says you should feel like you’re almost dying, that really isn’t good :eek:

Had a total mare of an LT run today. Have been babysitting for the weekend and a combination of a sick child, disturbed sleep and eating crap for the weekend meant I was mentally beaten before I headed out of the door. It was dry here, but there was some wind, was like running into a wind tunnel at times.

Was supposed to be 11 miles with 7 at hmp, actually turned out to be 12 miles with 3 hmp, 1 recovery and 3 hmp. Totally bummed with myself that I didn't have the mental strength to push on when the going got tough.

The hmp miles were 7:23, 7:22, 7:26, 9:38 (recovery mile) 7:29, 7:32, 7:28. Would have been a super run bar that stupid recovery mile!

I can make excuses til the cows come home, but the truth is I just don't seem to have the htfu to keep going when things get uncomfortable. I am really beginning to wonder if I am kidding myself pushing for a 3:30, and if I'd be better going for 3:45 and hopefully pushing on at the end to get closer to 3:40. I suppose the HM will tell a lot next week, but to be honest, I'm not feeling very confident.

50 miles for the week, 536 YTD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Nothing wrong with that session N. I don't think doing a recovery mile makes the session less worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Had a total mare of an LT run today. Have been babysitting for the weekend and a combination of a sick child, disturbed sleep and eating crap for the weekend meant I was mentally beaten before I headed out of the door. It was dry here, but there was some wind, was like running into a wind tunnel at times.

Was supposed to be 11 miles with 7 at hmp, actually turned out to be 12 miles with 3 hmp, 1 recovery and 3 hmp. Totally bummed with myself that I didn't have the mental strength to push on when the going got tough.

The hmp miles were 7:23, 7:22, 7:26, 9:38 (recovery mile) 7:29, 7:32, 7:28. Would have been a super run bar that stupid recovery mile!

I can make excuses til the cows come home, but the truth is I just don't seem to have the htfu to keep going when things get uncomfortable. I am really beginning to wonder if I am kidding myself pushing for a 3:30, and if I'd be better going for 3:45 and hopefully pushing on at the end to get closer to 3:40. I suppose the HM will tell a lot next week, but to be honest, I'm not feeling very confident.

50 miles for the week, 536 YTD.

Hey ncmc that was a fantastic session! You may remember I had a disaster doing that one, ended up quitting after 5hmp miles...I couldn't hold 8.30 pace at all...roll on half marathon and I ran 8.13 pace without a problem...you'll do better than you think in Wexford :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

^^^+1 to all the above,that was a super run this morning especially when you consider other factors.
    Fingers crossed the for better weather conditions for next weekend to give you a good boost of confidence leading up to CCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

You're being too hard on yourself!!
    Great session and splits and 50 mile week, it's all good 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I read this report on the fone whilst grimacing from thru an ice bath and i thought I had missed something considering the first sentence.

I have my wits about me now (and everything is back where it should be!!) and I can't understand why you are disappointed!!

It was a great run, there is a mini hurricane along the south coast so I would be delighted of I were you. I did 22 miles and it was as hard as any marathon into that wind

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments. Just a bit annoyed with myself that I couldn't push through and do the whole 7 at hmp. I should have mentioned that the recovery mile involved a stop to catch my breath :( Just sometimes feels like I'm not making any progress. I can see the positives from the run now so I don't feel as negative about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

+1 to all above. To be honest N, anyone can run when the going is good. Those are not the days that count.

Ultimately its a seesion in tough conditions and its a fraction off. Trust me, next sunday it will stand to you no end, rested and racing. I would give my left one for a session like it.

Thanks J, you're so right. With the injury wars you've been through the last few weeks, and poor Blockic in Rotterdam today, I should be thankful I was able to get out, give it a go and make it home in one piece. Being a bit off the pace is so insignificant in the scheme of things. How are you feeling about Wexford?

Remember too - good things happen in Wexford so your 1.40 is going to be no problem!

Wexford might be tough. Trigger point needling on thursday and then I'm going for it. It'll be grand.

You will be in great shape on the day, I am 100% sure of it.

Well best of luck with it. I know it's tempting to go all out on Sunday, but Cork is your main goal so go easy on yourself!

Well best of luck with it. I know it's tempting to go all out on Sunday, but Cork is your main goal so go easy on yourself!

Cheers n. Hopefully see you Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Don't look at the 1 mile you didn't do at HMP, look at the bloody 6 that you did do! In a hurricane as well!
    You'll have no bother in Wexford after an easier week, rested and rearing to go - you'll be chatting away sauntering in at 1:39:xx
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Like the others said, you're being way too hard on yourself. It was a great session. Some runs are just like that, when we are unprepared either physically or more importantly mentally the smallest thing can get us down, or we feel we are underpreforming.
    New week.....put it behind you. :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Like the others said, you're being way too hard on yourself. It was a great session. Some runs are just like that, when we are unprepared either physically or more importantly mentally the smallest thing can get us down, or we feel we are underpreforming.
    New week.....put it behind you. :)
    Thanks JCSMum, it probably reads better than it felt. By mile two, I was jacking in running, didn’t want to do Cork, didn’t want to aim for a GFA time for London, you know, the usual crap! Seems a bit silly now, but as you say, some runs just get you mentally rather than physically. My legs actually felt perfect after it, so I think that confirms that it was all in the head.

Just reading on the CCM thread about your great weekend, a sub 21 min 5K on Saturday followed by 18 miles at 8mm on Sunday :eek::eek::eek: That is serious running!

Started in to the week planning to do a mini taper before Wexford HM on Sunday, I took that a little bit too literally and went in to total hibernation mode during the awful weather at the start of the week and it was with a mild feeling of panic that Thursday came around and I had zero running done!

Thursday AM: 6 miles @ 9:15
    Did I mention I hate morning running??? Always feels like such a slog. :mad:

Thursday PM: 14 miles @ 8:52
    Went down to the marina in Cork, realised that I had brought my husbands jacket instead of mine, it was miles too big and I was slightly concerned that it would turn me into a human kite and I would fly off Mary Poppins style but the wind was not nearly as bad as the previous day so I was ok. One of those weird days that I couldn’t decide if I was hot or cold and there was a couple of spots were I was running into the wind, but overall it was ok.

Bit worried about my right hamstring, there is a bit of a twinge there. I regret not booking in for a sports massage earlier in the week, but it’s too late to do anything now, will just put a bit of deep heat on it, take an ibuprofen and hope for the best. Will do a very slooooooooooow 3 miles on Saturday morning to loosen the legs.

Looking forward to Wexford now, though not overly confident of hitting my target. But just mainly hope the weather is ok and we all have an enjoyable run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Started in to the week planning to do a mini taper before Wexford HM on Sunday, I took that a little bit too literally and went in to total hibernation mode during the awful weather at the start of the week and it was with a mild feeling of panic that Thursday came around and I had zero running done!

I had this all week! Sloth-panic. And I wasn't 'tapering' for anything. Mind you, considering your taper consists of a doubler, maybe I'm better off! :p Well done for getting it done, and best of luck on Sunday!

scriba wrote: »
    I had this all week! Sloth-panic. And I wasn't 'tapering' for anything. Mind you, considering your taper consists of a doubler, maybe I'm better off! :p Well done for getting it done, and best of luck on Sunday!
    Eh yeah, that probably wasn't the best idea, but sure hopefully it will be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I'll do a taper she says - 20 mile double session on a Thursday!!! :)
    And here I was worried about the 20 mile LSR last Saturday being still in the legs.
    Ye P&D crowd have gone soft in the brain. :P
    Fair play - you'll be in the shape of your life come Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck in Wexford N. You will smash 1:40 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck for Sunday ncmc. Mind those hamstrings they can be a curse!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! Bought new trainers today, went back to Nike Pegasus after the Mizunu debacle. In typical unadvisable fashion, I shall be wearing them on Sunday :D I will be impossible to miss, they are even more pink than the last pair - which I didn't think was humanly possible :pac:

Advertisement