Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Bought new trainers today, went back to Nike Pegasus after the Mizunu debacle. In typical unadvisable fashion, I shall be wearing them on Sunday :D I will be impossible to miss, they are even more pink than the last pair - which I didn't think was humanly possible :pac:

Every time I read your log you seem to have new runners!!!

And women complain about the stereotype!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Gavlor wrote: »
    Every time I read your log you seem to have new runners!!!

And women complain about the stereotype!!
    Well if you read the log properly, you would remember that I couldn't wear the Mizuno I bought last month as they killed my calves.... And men complain about the stereotype about not listening to women :pac:

Well if you read the log properly, you would remember that I couldn't wear the Mizuno I bought last month as they killed my calves.... And men complain about the stereotype about not listening to women :pac:

Haha....

How do you type, iron and cook at the same time??

Haha....

How do you type, iron and cook at the same time??
    We women can multi task, as a man I wouldn't expect you to understand :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck in the morning!! Will see ya down there.

• Advertisement

1:43 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Still a good time even though its not what you wanted

Head up.... Remember you're in the middle of a tough training cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Still a good time even though its not what you wanted

+1 to these & don't forget you ran 20miles on Thursday,had a 2hr or so drive this morning(early start),then's it's raining so you can't loosen out/move around as much as you might like,I think Stephen said the course is not as flat as advertised so overall your still heading in the right direction.
    This run will stand to you & I'm sure reading other logs & thinking back about the run today there will be more positives to come out of it over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

+1. Solid run today and well done. And a pb. Nice to meet you today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I passed yourself and Stephen at the start when I was being ambitious and trying to keep the 1:30 pacers in sights. Ye were both still close enough to me in Johnstown. I faded a bit on the return, giving up on both 1:30 and 1:35. I'm assuming you did the same, as you were certainly well on for sub 1:40 in the Castle?

That course is many things, but flat it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What DocJewel said. Nothing wrong with a 5 min pb - you should be very proud of yourself.

And rumour has it you were acknowledged for the pinkest runners in the field :D

docjewel wrote: »
    Don't forget you ran 20miles on Thursday,had a 2hr or so drive this morning(early start),then's it's raining so you can't loosen out/move around as much as you might like,I think Stephen said the course is not as flat as advertised so overall your still heading in the right direction.
    This run will stand to you & I'm sure reading other logs & thinking back about the run today there will be more positives to come out of it over the next few days.

^^ Couldn't agree more about everything above. A 20 miler and a HM a couple of days after, you are bound to not be at 100%.

Take a few days to re-access and then plan ahead for Cork. You have another tune-up race before then don't you? Race a 5/10km full out 3 weeks before and this will give you an idea of what pace you should go at.

You might think today was a waste right now, but It certainly was not. 13 miles at HMP is not to be sniffed at on a tough course. Its a serious session and will do you the world of good when you hit hills in Cork. Remember... The main thing is to keep the main thing, the main thing. (RunningKing are you watching! :D)

It was nice to meet you finally too and might see you in Cork in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Great to meet you today N. great run on a tough enough course. Don't be disappointed, a pb is a pb and you can still get 3:30 in cork. That double run thurs might have been still in the legs!? Hills at the start were not easy. Safe home, I just landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hard luck on the sub 1:40 attempt but..and it has all been said already but Thursday was the culprit here I think. You'll have to post a photo of these specatularly pink runners!:)

And you got a PB today so that's a positive.

Wexford HM race report - AKA Tough day at the office - AKA 'you call this flat!!!'

Alarm went off at 6:30 this morning :eek: and I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed to be greeted with pouring rain. I knew it was due to clear later so I wasn't too worried. Took us two hours to drive to Wexford so was registered at just after 9. Registration was a breeze I must say, pooched around for a bit and went for a warm up jog. Met StephenRooney in his Boards top, and did a short warm up with him. Was aiming for 1:40 as you know which I felt was a tough but achievable challenge. We walked over to the start and met the Boards cheerleaders there (Dilbert and Upthe19th - he really is on crutches the poor thing, I thought he was messing!). The start was really well done and it started bang on time after a minutes silence for Boston. It didn't feel like there was as many people running as there was, so well done to the organisers for that. The sun decided to come out just as we started.

The first couple of miles were fine, I felt there was a quite an uphill drag at mile 3, you would hardly notice it in a car, but I could definitely feel it deadening the legs (I think I just invented a word :D) It seemed to go on for ever. The Boards cheerleaders were at the first water station to say hello which was nice. The portion of the race through the castle grounds was nice, although it doubled back on itself a fair bit and there was a fair few tight turns and gravel to deal with. At this stage I was holding 7:30 miles fairly consistently, I had got ahead of Stephen as he had to stop and stretch but he had caught up at this stage (and was soon to leave me for dust :o)

It was at this stage (mile 7) that I began to struggle. The heat was starting to get to me (sorry blockic, I'm sure you're doing a :rolleyes: as you read that!) but the sun was beating down, and I honestly can't remember the last time I ran without a jacket was - never mind had sun on my face! Felt sorry for the folks that had baselayers and gloves on (didn't slow that Stephen fella down though!) I was beginning to slow down and my 7:30's were becoming 8:00 (I think I even had a 8:16 in there :o) I knew a 1:40 was dead in the water, but was just concentrating on keeping ahead of the 1:45 pacers and I figured a 1:42/43 was most likely. I really struggled through the last 3 miles, I was composing a strongly worded email to the organisers about this so called 'flat' course in my head! I heard someone call it 'undulating' well, maybe it was just me, but it seemed to undulate up a lot more than it undulated down! I was even finding the 8:00 pace tough at this stage. I tried to finish strong, but i'm not going to lie, I felt totally spent. Was pretty disappointed to cross the line in 1:43. Was lovely to meet Dilbert, Upthe19th (minus the promised fig rolls) Guining (sp) who finished in something fantastic like 1:30, Stephen who got a mighty impressive 1:38 with injury! and of course Mr thread of the year - Blockic :pac:

Could I have done better on a flatter course? Maybe. But I am pretty good on hills, I have quite a few hills on my regular route. I don't think I was tired from Thursday, the legs felt pretty rested. I think I have to concede that 3:30 in Cork is pie in the sky at this stage. Even the optimistic Mr McMillan has me at 3:37 for the full. I think a better aim at this stage would be a strong 3:40, get a GFA for London and have a sub 3:30 as my next goal. I think if I go for a 3:30, I risk having a real blow out and not enjoying the race. maybe that's me taking the lazy way out and not pushing myself enough, but I am a bit of a cautious soul, I think i'd rather have an attainable goal and smash it rather than an optimistic goal and fail. If i'd gone out today looking for a 1:45, i'd have been delighted with my time. Same result, different emotions.

Positives for the day, saw some of Wexford and New Ross, have never been in Wexford before and it is a stunning place, will definitely be back to explore more now I know it's not far away. Got to meet lots of lovely Boardsies, who make excellent cheerleaders - with or without the pom poms. I got a 5 minute PB - I suppose a PB is a PB, but my last half was in August and 5 mins doesn't feel like much reward for all those miles run, all that running in the dark, rain and wind.

Gosh, sorry for the long post, should have a warning in the title! It was a good day all in all and the race was well organised (if a bit falsly marketed!) I don't think i'd do it again as I didn't feel it was value for money, but I did enjoy the day and it was great meeting the lads. Positive head back on and onwards and upwards :D

I think I have to concede that 3:30 in Cork is pie in the sky at this stage. Even the optimistic Mr McMillan has me at 3:37 for the full. I think a better aim at this stage would be a strong 3:40, get a GFA for London and have a sub 3:30 as my next goal. I think if I go for a 3:30, I risk having a real blow out and not enjoying the race. maybe that's me taking the lazy way out and not pushing myself enough, but I am a bit of a cautious soul, I think i'd rather have an attainable goal and smash it rather than an optimistic goal and fail.

Being honest, I think this is wise. You'd have to run two 1:45's in Cork for 3:30 and with a 1:43 PB it is a very tough ask. Would probably want to run a 1:36 -1:37 for a shot at 3:30. McMillan is also very optimistic when it comes to Marathons, though pretty accurate up to HM. I'd say something between 3:40-3:45 would be a good target for you, enjoy the race.

I won't even have a GFA for London! :(

blockic wrote: »
    I won't even have a GFA for London! :(

You're probably just not old enough...

Well that was exactly my thinking Blockic, if I'd managed a sub 1:40 today, then there may have been an outside chance of a 3:30 but I'd be kidding myself to think that's possible in 6 weeks. I think heading out just in front of the 3:45 pacers and hopefully finish closer to 3:40 would be very doable and nothing to be ashamed off!

Yes we ladies have it easy for London compared to the gents. Will have a tight turnaround to try and get my entry in (LOL at her talking like she has the time in the bag!)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

In relation to the crutches, i never mess unless i'm messing:p

In relation to the fig rolls, i direct your attention to post #306 and your acknowledgement of bringing said fig rolls, and as it turns out ham sandwiches and tay......none of which materialised:mad:;)

If it weren't for the spectacular runners, a certain person's card would be well and truly marked:p

On a side note I think its a good call on the goal time assessment for cork.

Still powerful training though...keep it going.

• Advertisement

upthe19th wrote: »
    On a side note I think its a good call on the goal time assessment for cork.

Once she is in prime condition for the after-party, that's all that matters! :cool:

How's the organisation of that coming along by the way N? It's more pressure than the marathon itself! :D

Eek! I can't even organise fig rolls, how am I going to organise post marathon drinks!

Never fear, celebrating is something I excel at, I am an elite when it comes to post race booze ups :) don't worry I'll find somewhere close to the finish line with a downstairs loo!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Great to meet you today. I can vouch for you regarding the course. I think they could have replaced that medal they gave us with an IOU for a 1 mile downhill.

Agree your assessment of the new time also. I ran 1.37.40 in Dublin half last year and ran Dublin in 3.28 with some difficulty (last 4 miles were a bitch). This was also around 6 weeks out from DCM. Each individual is different but 1.38 is borderline for a 3.30 half for me.

Well that was exactly my thinking Blockic, if I'd managed a sub 1:40 today, then there may have been an outside chance of a 3:30 but I'd be kidding myself to think that's possible in 6 weeks. I think heading out just in front of the 3:45 pacers and hopefully finish closer to 3:40 would be very doable and nothing to be ashamed off!

Yes we ladies have it easy for London compared to the gents. Will have a tight turnaround to try and get my entry in (LOL at her talking like she has the time in the bag!)

I disagree. Your training to date has all been pointing towards a 3.30. It's challenging but then again that's why a marathon is called a race.

If you had (done the sensible thing) and avoided the 20 miles in Thursday I have no doubt you would have ran a better, confidence building, more comfortable race.

Dont abandon 3.30 just yet.

I disagree.

Rasher? :pac:

blockic wrote: »
    Rasher? :pac:

I'm her evil alter ego!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'm with Gav! See how next few weeks go

You know the guys have a point N - you've trained like mad and it *seems* from your report that a major factor was you losing faith in your own ability to do your target time. That may have become a self-fulfilling fear.

I ran part of a half with someone like that last year (#) - she believed she couldn't keep going but with a bit of encouragement she very much did. If you'd had pacers at your goal time today I'm guessing you'd have had no problems.

There will be 3.30 pacers at CCM so you'll have much more support and encouragement. You'll know the course better and will have run some parts of it. You'll have had a short trip from home, not a long drive. This will all be in your favour. Without putting any pressure on you to aim too high, don't overlook those factors.

(# who may have looked a lot like you)

When and what is your next race?

You should continue to train as you were (3:30) and run this next one flat out if its more than 2 weeks before the race. You will have a much better idea where you are then with that result before you have to make a decision.

Plenty time.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for the input. Your are right C, I do suffer very much from self doubt, I think a lot of the time I'm beaten before I step on the course. I don't know if I can fix that mentality in 6 weeks! I'll not lie, today was a knock to the confidence. The only race I've ever truly been confident in was DCM and it couldn't have gone better for me. I truly believe it's as much in the mind as in the training!

J, I was planning to do a 10k in Passage West on 17th May, that's 17 days before CCM, I suppose I could carry on as I have been and make the call after that.

Advertisement