Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sorry your run didn't go to plan today. I'd keep doing your PMP miles at 8:00 anyway even if you are planning to run the marathon that bit slower. It should make the pace feel more comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'd keep doing your PMP miles at 8:00 anyway even if you are planning to run the marathon that bit slower. It should make the pace feel more comfortable

I'd 90% agree with this! :p Do the most at the pace you have been doing them, but in the lead up do one or two at you're new PMP just to get a feel for the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

As others have said N,still a decent session today but I think you've hit the nail right on the head by saying its only your second marathon.

Its all a learning curve & I think as blockic pointed out in his own log it really is a beast of a race that can just swallow us up.

At least we'll know if we're faltering towards the finish you'll be coming along behind us to carry our sorry asses over the line:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Haha, no fear of you two guys D, I expect you to be waiting in pub with drinks on order by the time I finish! Starting to look forward to it now I must say, though this time 5 weeks I'll be a nervous wreck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

blockic wrote: »
    C'mere don't go knocking Carlsberg! That's my tipple also

Sorry NCMC doing this on your log....

Lucky Blocky is a "decent" runner, 'cos he has a lot going against him.....

* from Cork
    * supports ArseNil
    * drinks Carlsberg

:)

• Advertisement

* from Cork
    * supports ArseNil
    * drinks Carlsberg

Ahem Ahem,nothing at all wrong with being from Cork B-), yea the others he's fooked on alrite :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Do we get a mod to intervene now before it goes the way of Blockic's log?:eek:

ncmc wrote: »
    Haha, no fear of you two guys D, I expect you to be waiting in pub with drinks on order by the time I finish! Starting to look forward to it now I must say, though this time 5 weeks I'll be a nervous wreck!

I'm glad someone has confidence in us( well me anyways,I still have little doubts about sub 3:30 but to be truthful its prob gold medal time,if I can come within a few minutes of it I'll be more than happy once I know I've given everything I can.

5 weeks won't be long going by,part of me can't wait,other part thinks it'll come too soon :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Carlsberg!? Mother of God woman. :)

Fair play for re-assessing your goal time but you never know, if you go off that bit slower and feel good after 21-22 miles you might take off and get nearer to it than you think. Good session yesterday btw, not long left now... 5 weeks to the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I can totally understand where you are coming from. At DCM last year some people (I won't mention names ;)) were gently pushing me towards a 3.30 marathon. Much and all as I would have loved that time, I just knew it wasn't in me, I wasn't there yet. My goal was sub 3:40 but to get as close to 3:35 as I possibly could. I crossed the line in 3:36 and I gave it 100%.

As you said, its only your second marathon and with either of your 3 goals, you will be achieving a massive PB. Your training though has been great and I see you did a nice LSR at the weekend. :)

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    I can totally understand where you are coming from. At DCM last year some people (I won't mention names ;)) were gently pushing me towards a 3.30 marathon. Much and all as I would have loved that time, I just knew it wasn't it me, I wasn't there yet. My goal was sub 3:40 but to get as close to 3:35 as I possibly could. I crossed the line in 3:36 and I gave it 100%.

As you said, its only your second marathon and with either of your 3 goals, you will be achieving a massive PB. Your training though has been great and I see you did a nice LSR at the weekend. :)
    Thanks for that jcsmum, I really appreciate it. That's exactly how I feel, I feel like i'm close to 3:30 but just not there yet. You're training has been savage though, just reading about your LSR, very, very impressive... those cocktails were well earned!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Carlsberg?!!

Surely after running 26.2 miles you deserve to drink something better than CARLSBERG?!!

* from Cork
    * supports ArseNil
    * drinks Carlsberg

Beef wrote: »
    Carlsberg!? Mother of God woman. :)
    Ok, I know i'm going to regret this... but what's wrong with Carlsberg?

Don't tell me, you all drink beer from a microbrewery in the base of the Himalayas brewed by Tibeten monks made from the tears of virgins :pac::pac::pac:

My poor husband, he's from Cork, supports Arsenal and drinks Miller, he's screwed going by RunningKing's criteria!

No no none of that hipster rubbish! :P
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnRQweqz0HeWVCGv6Ux_Z-bcuF9zbB_Zm5P3DRaOBW_4QzuHgN9Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ok, I know i'm going to regret this... but what's wrong with Carlsberg?

Don't tell me, you all drink beer from a microbrewery in the base of the Himalayas brewed by Tibeten monks made from the tears of virgins :pac::pac::pac:

My poor husband, he's from Cork, supports Arsenal and drinks Miller, he's screwed going by RunningKing's criteria!

He's like 'blockic lite'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Get it right will ye...none of that pale crap.

offtrade6.jpg

Gavlor wrote: »
    He's like 'blockic lite'
    My hubby would be delighted with being called light!
    blockic wrote: »
    Get it right will ye...none of that pale crap.

offtrade6.jpg

You boys really aren't helping those of us who are trying to stay OFF the beer! Away with you temptors!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Sorry to hear those pmps didn't go to plan but best off finding out all of this now. Would suck to learn @ mile 20 it wasnt there. Hopefully it will be a more pleasurable last few miles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

As others have said ncmc sounds like you've made the right decision adjusting your goal for Cork. I always love the honesty of your training reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think you made the right call. When I read your half report I thought 3:30 was out. I believe you need to be close to 1:35 for 3:30. This is just my guidelines that I use.

Make sure you get pace bands for the gold and silver time.
    Your legs will be fresh on the day also. Your now near the end of a hard plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

I think you made the right call. When I read your half report I thought 3:30 was out. I believe you need to be close to 1:35 for 3:30.

Hi ncmc. Slow day at work and I've just finished reading your log from start to finish. Great log. Great tone, great honesty.

I agree with average-runner above, when I read your HM report I was also thinking 1:43 was a little too far off for a 3:30 marathon. I've never raced a HM in the build-up to a marathon but my HM PB between marathons is a high 1:37. I've aimed for 3:30 in Cork twice and blew up twice. Not fun. I think you've made the right call. My thinking is reap the benefits of P&D with a good PB this time out. Then repeat P&D next time out and trash 3:30.

Roundy and Raven after early-bird in Strasbourg Goose. Magic.

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    As others have said ncmc sounds like you've made the right decision adjusting your goal for Cork. I always love the honesty of your training reports.
    I think you made the right call. When I read your half report I thought 3:30 was out. I believe you need to be close to 1:35 for 3:30. This is just my guidelines that I use.

Make sure you get pace bands for the gold and silver time.
    Your legs will be fresh on the day also. Your now near the end of a hard plan.
    outforarun wrote: »
    Hi ncmc. Slow day at work and I've just finished reading your log from start to finish. Great log. Great tone, great honesty.

I agree with average-runner above, when I read your HM report I was also thinking 1:43 was a little too far off for a 3:30 marathon. I've never raced a HM in the build-up to a marathon but my HM PB between marathons is a high 1:37. I've aimed for 3:30 in Cork twice and blew up twice. Not fun. I think you've made the right call. My thinking is reap the benefits of P&D with a good PB this time out. Then repeat P&D next time out and trash 3:30.

Roundy and Raven after early-bird in Strasbourg Goose. Magic.
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the nice comments. I knew myself that the 3:30 was out after the HM, hence my disappointment in the result. If I’d got anywhere the right side of 1:40, I would have gone for it, but 1:43 was just too far off the pace. In a way it was nearly a relief to make the call not to go for 3:30 as I just found that that was too much pressure and it was really spoiling my enjoyment of the whole thing. I’m much happier with my adjusted goal and am chomping at the bit for June 3rd to come around now!

Monday – 6 miles @ 9:25

Was tired for this one I must say after my PMP exertions the day before. The sole of my foot at my heel was quite sore after it, I am terrified of getting Plantar Fasciitis after hearing all the horror stories of missed marathons because of it, but it seemed to be ok after a bit of stretching and massage.

Tuesday – 10 miles @ 8:50 (V02) session

Well you all know how much I love these sessions, but this was a short one, 5x600m which I rounded up to .4 of a mile with .1 of a mile recovery. Due to a route miscalculation, I had 5 miles done by the time I got round to these. I think I am officially getting slower! I purposely didn’t check the watch, just ran as hard as I could and lets just say I was a wee bit off my 5K pace, especially one of the reps in which I was positively crawling along! The last rep was pretty fast (although that was downhill :o)

I have to say I’m feeling pretty tired this week, legs feel a bit sluggish and I’m finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning. I think I must be getting old! I am turning 34 in a few weeks :eek: I think that is officially the end of ‘early 30’s’ and slap bang in ‘mid 30’s’ territory :(. I am going on holidays at the weekend, so want to get the bulk of my running done early in the week, so have 11 miles planned for tonight and 17 for tomorrow.

I'm feckin wrecked too - but I think it's to be expected at this stage when getting near taper time. Especially you lot - with your P&D 400 miles in a (stepback) week. :P
    Whatever you do mind that foot - Plantar is the devil incarnate.

http://www.disabled-world.com/health/orthopedics/plantar-fasciitis-stretching.php

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thanks guys, I appreciate the nice comments. I knew myself that the 3:30 was out after the HM, hence my disappointment in the result. If I’d got anywhere the right side of 1:40, I would have gone for it, but 1:43 was just too far off the pace. In a way it was nearly a relief to make the call not to go for 3:30 as I just found that that was too much pressure and it was really spoiling my enjoyment of the whole thing. I’m much happier with my adjusted goal and am chomping at the bit for June 3rd to come around now!

The one thing you dont want is pressure, it can judge your views etc. But you seen thru it and fair play to you, just enjoy your marathon, times will look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Monday – 6 miles @ 9:25

Was tired for this one I must say after my PMP exertions the day before. The sole of my foot at my heel was quite sore after it, I am terrified of getting Plantar Fasciitis after hearing all the horror stories of missed marathons because of it, but it seemed to be ok after a bit of stretching and massage.

Tuesday – 10 miles @ 8:50 (V02) session

Well you all know how much I love these sessions, but this was a short one, 5x600m which I rounded up to .4 of a mile with .1 of a mile recovery. Due to a route miscalculation, I had 5 miles done by the time I got round to these. I think I am officially getting slower! I purposely didn’t check the watch, just ran as hard as I could and lets just say I was a wee bit off my 5K pace, especially one of the reps in which I was positively crawling along! The last rep was pretty fast (although that was downhill :o)

I have to say I’m feeling pretty tired this week, legs feel a bit sluggish and I’m finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning. I think I must be getting old! I am turning 34 in a few weeks :eek: I think that is officially the end of ‘early 30’s’ and slap bang in ‘mid 30’s’ territory :(. I am going on holidays at the weekend, so want to get the bulk of my running done early in the week, so have 11 miles planned for tonight and 17 for tomorrow.

Hey ncmc I can relate to your post entirely, sounds like the holiday is coming in the nick of time so relax and enjoy :D Didn't you know mid 30s is the new teens (and late 30s is the new early 20s..so I like to think anyway) ;)

Wednesday - 11 miles @ 8:50 - Flys swallowed - 4 - flys in my eye - 3 :mad:

I really feel like i've got my running mojo back this week, even though my legs felt tired, I really enjoyed last nights run. Meeting Doc Jewel after work for a 17 mile LSR and then I can head on holidays knowing I have the hard work for the week done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Meeting Doc Jewel after work for a 17 mile LSR and then I can head on holidays knowing I have the hard work for the week done :)
    Any chance you can trip DocJewel up at the start this evening...?
    He's the one person on the 1,000 mile table between me and that milestone!
    (although I just noticed Meno is coming up fast on the outside!)

belcarra wrote: »
    Any chance you can trip DocJewel up at the start this evening...?
    He's the one person on the 1,000 mile table between me and that milestone!
    (although I just noticed Meno is coming up fast on the outside!)
    He'll probably have a 15 mile 'warm up' done by the time I get to him :pac: Phenomenal mileage you all manage to put in.

Thursday - 17 miles @ 8:45

Met DocJewel after work for this run. Would you believe this is the first time I've ever run with someone else! Excluding races of course :) I have to say, it was lovely to have the company and the time flew by as we nattered away. Easiest LSR I've ever done. By the way Belcarra, I did try and trip him up but it was no good, he's due to do his 1000th mile tomorrow!

I have done an unprecedented amount of running the last few days (for me anyway) including last Sunday, I have run 5 days on the trot and clocked up 62 miles :) I think my little legs might just fall off! Looking forward to a couple of days off and will finish out the week with a short run in the Lake District on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

You've earned that holiday NCMC - enjoy it!

Advertisement