Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done ncmc, that's a super week running wise and you deserve the break! Enjoy it and you'll be back raring to go for Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

You're flying again, good to see! Happy holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ncmc wrote: »
    Thursday - 17 miles @ 8:45

Met DocJewel after work for this run. Would you believe this is the first time I've ever run with someone else! Excluding races of course :) I have to say, it was lovely to have the company and the time flew by as we nattered away. Easiest LSR I've ever done. By the way Belcarra, I did try and trip him up but it was no good, he's due to do his 1000th mile tomorrow!

I have done an unprecedented amount of running the last few days (for me anyway) including last Sunday, I have run 5 days on the trot and clocked up 62 miles :) I think my little legs might just fall off! Looking forward to a couple of days off and will finish out the week with a short run in the Lake District on Sunday.

Booooo!:mad:
    Well done on the training though!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

I can confirm to belcarra that I did suffer a fall at 2miles last night(but unsure if it was a sneaky trip or dodgy footpath:-D).

Wish all LSR's were as easy as last night.Enjoy the hols,there well earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

docjewel wrote: »
    I can confirm to belcarra that I did suffer a fall at 2miles last night(but unsure if it was a sneaky trip or dodgy footpath:-D).

'Atta girl NCMC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

10 days with no running update? Do you even like running anymore? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I am back from my holiers, all rested and relaxed... A few lbs heavier and a few less runs under my belt than I should have, but I had a lovely time and am raring to go for the last few weeks. I did shamefully few runs while away, finished out last week with 6 miles on Sunday. Then did 9 miles on Tuesday and 10 on Thursday... And that's it for the week! I was due to do a couple of runs over the weekend, but I had a bit of a tummy bug so left it.

So 22 mile LSR to look forward to after work tomorrow! At least I'm well rested for it ;) I am also doing a 10k on Sunday in Youghal, so hopefully that will be a couple of quality runs this week to make up for my slothfulness last week!

Best of luck with the LSR - by the time those 22 are done it will be like you were never away. The break away from that P&D nonsense will stand to you anyway... :P

22 miles @ 9:09

Went out straight after work so with traffic etc it was 6pm by the time I got started. Legs felt pretty good after my 'mini taper' last week. First 17 miles were a nice steady pace of 8:50-9:00 min miles. Slowed down disgracefully between miles 17-19, I think it's because I was passing the car and the temptation to stop was very present!

Picked it up a bit for the last 2 miles and mile 22 was actually my fastest :) Took a gel at mile 8 and 17, have gone right off the Gu gels, they're so sticky and icky. Think I might go back to the High 5 if I can get a bigger pouch to hold them in time. Went shopping for new marathon threads today but couldn't find anything I liked in my size, looks like I'll have to wear my ancient gear :( think the pants are seriously in danger of splitting with any sudden movement. Apologies in advance to any poor folks running behind me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done N - great confidence booster coming up to CCM. I've never done a 22m training run and will change that next time out.

FWIW I was recommended to try SIS gels - supposedly quite palatable and liquidy. I have to get my hands on some because I can't face High 5's again - too sickly sweet for me.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip Dilbert, might try one of those on my next lsr, found the Gu fine for DCM, but they are just leave my mouth so gummy in the warmer weather!

Feels good to have 22 miles done, though my husband was heard to comment "sure why didn't you just do another 4 miles and have done with it!"

:eek: How is he now? Do they reckon the recovery will take long? :rolleyes:

That's a brilliant run to have done on a Monday eve!! And with relative ease by the sounds of it. You must be feeling quite confident now, well done, happy tapering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

A 22 miler on a Monday evening after work - :eek:
    Impressive!

Just found out my little running buddy Libby has a heart murmer and arthritis in her back leg :( To say I feel guilty for bringing her running is an understatement. The vet says it's not necessarily connected, but I feel like utter crap. I only noticed her limping last month (the day of the Wexford HM actually) and haven't brought her out since, but I can't help feeling responsible.

So little Libby will be hanging up her trainers and getting short, frequent walks rather than long walks. She will likely be on lifelong medication for both issues.

34t33px.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sorry to hear about Libby :(

Picture of her in a cemetery maybe a bit negative?

Sorry to hear about Libby :(

Picture of her in a cemetery maybe a bit negative?
    :o Didn't make that connection.... Believe it or not, it's one of her favourite places, I think she may have been a goth in a previous life!

Obviously I'm not a vet (closer to veteran than veterinarian) but try not to take it too hard. You haven't done anything that many of us wouldn't do and it's more likely just luck that these things have shown up. Either that or she's faking it to get out of running. Actually my money is on her faking it. Dogs are far more clever than we give them credit for.

You could be right Dilbert! She is totally milking it today, moping around do we feel sorry for her and give her extra cuddles.

Took a couple of days rest after my 22 miler on Monday. Legs felt quite sluggish, you should have seen me on Tuesday run the last 200m home when walking the dog and the rain started!

Thursday - 8.5 miles @ 9:07
    Friday - 6 miles @ 8:45

Got totally drenched at the end of Fridays run, stupid Irish non summer weather!

I have a 10k in Youghal tomorrow, it looks like a nice flat course, so I am going to try and make a big effort at it. Have no idea what time to aim for, as you know, short races aren't my forte! My current PB is 48:50, but that is from last April and my first ever race, so not sure how accurate that is now! I suppose I'm aiming for 45/46 mins, that's probably a bit un-ambitious, but it's been a while since I've had a race I've been happy with, so am probably erring on the side of caution. Might just do what I did on my first 10k last year, forget the clock watching and just run like bejaysus!

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Took a couple of days rest after my 22 miler on Monday. Legs felt quite sluggish, you should have seen me on Tuesday run the last 200m home when walking the dog and the rain started!

Thursday - 8.5 miles @ 9:07
    Friday - 6 miles @ 8:45

Got totally drenched at the end of Fridays run, stupid Irish non summer weather!

I have a 10k in Youghal tomorrow, it looks like a nice flat course, so I am going to try and make a big effort at it. Have no idea what time to aim for, as you know, short races aren't my forte! My current PB is 48:50, but that is from last April and my first ever race, so not sure how accurate that is now! I suppose I'm aiming for 45/46 mins, that's probably a bit un-ambitious, but it's been a while since I've had a race I've been happy with, so am probably erring on the side of caution. Might just do what I did on my first 10k last year, forget the clock watching and just run like bejaysus!

I'd say a pb will be handy without emptying the tank completely! Close to your goal race and after a heavy week. Go by feel sounds like a good option. Best of luck

Good luck tomorrow N. Give it your best shot. No point having any regrets and it'll be a proper confidence booster for Cork

Good luck with it N - give it a good shot and see how it goes.

Whoops pressed done too early!

......?

Emer Casey 10k Youghal.

What a great day for a race, warm but cloudy with just a hint of a breeze, so off down I go to Youghal with my sister in law who was running her first 10k. Unusually for me, I hadn't really thought much about this race and wasn't nervous at all. Who do I see at registration only Mr DocJewel, he kept that one quiet! So we went of for a 1.5 mile warm up together. He was going for a slightly faster pace than me so we lined up together but it wasn't long before he was off in the distance.

I have to say this race was really well organised, loads of marshalls, loads of water stations and even a t shirt (cotton) it's not cheap at €21 but it's for a brilliant cause. I would have preferred to see chip timing rather than a t shirt, but other than that it was a super race and a great turn out.

Anyway, the first two miles were a dream, seriously fast downhill, 6:54 and 6:52. I knew the later miles were tough so I was glad to bank a bit of time. It was at this stage I shared a quick hello with a nice man and from then on we were stuck together like glue, he'd pull a bit ahead, I'd make sure to catch up and vice versa. Mile 3 featured quite a nasty drag and I was beginning to slow a bit at this stage, 7:21 and 7:24. Mile 5 was ok, though I slowed through the water station, 7:31. I knew mile 6 was tough with a nice descent to finish, so I was just hunkering down to get through that mile when all of a sudden a woman in a Youghal AC bib passed me. Feck, I thought, there had been no women around me since the start, literally a sea of men and I was damned if I was going to let her take my spot (I was thinking of you picking the women off career move!) I kept her in sight and at the top of the hill I pipped her and ran as fast down the hill as my little legs could carry me and across the line :) No chip time, but Garmin time should be pretty accurate, 45:25. Really pleased with that, a 3 and a half min PB and at the end of a tough programme I'm pleased with that result. Turned out the guy I'd been stuck to using as a pacer had been using me as a pacer, so we thanked each other for pushing each other on and I went off to chat to DocJewel, Mrs DocJewel and the little DocJewels. He had finished a couple of minutes ahead of me and is looking in great shape for Cork.

My sis in law finished in 58 mins, so delighted for her as she is only running since February and it's her first 10k.

Overall pleased with how the day went. I think I could have pushed on a bit, but was probably being a little cautious with the goal race being so close. Great race on a lovely course, it's serious PB territory. If they could organise chip timing instead of the t shirt, then I'd really recommend it.

Excellent. Well done. I was really hoping you'd have a good race today :)

Well done N - no bother to you!

Delighted to see you coming back from a race with a smile on your face!
    Great running and a nice confidence booster for Cork without killing yourself. 2 weeks to go! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Fantastic run ncmc, you're turning in to another one of these speedsters :D

Advertisement