Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

ncmc wrote: »
    Emer Casey 10k Youghal.

What a great day for a race, warm but cloudy with just a hint of a breeze, so off down I go to Youghal with my sister in law who was running her first 10k. Unusually for me, I hadn't really thought much about this race and wasn't nervous at all. Who do I see at registration only Mr DocJewel, he kept that one quiet! So we went of for a 1.5 mile warm up together. He was going for a slightly faster pace than me so we lined up together but it wasn't long before he was off in the distance.

I have to say this race was really well organised, loads of marshalls, loads of water stations and even a t shirt (cotton) it's not cheap at €21 but it's for a brilliant cause. I would have preferred to see chip timing rather than a t shirt, but other than that it was a super race and a great turn out.

Anyway, the first two miles were a dream, seriously fast downhill, 6:54 and 6:52. I knew the later miles were tough so I was glad to bank a bit of time. It was at this stage I shared a quick hello with a nice man and from then on we were stuck together like glue, he'd pull a bit ahead, I'd make sure to catch up and vice versa. Mile 3 featured quite a nasty drag and I was beginning to slow a bit at this stage, 7:21 and 7:24. Mile 5 was ok, though I slowed through the water station, 7:31. I knew mile 6 was tough with a nice descent to finish, so I was just hunkering down to get through that mile when all of a sudden a woman in a Youghal AC bib passed me. Feck, I thought, there had been no women around me since the start, literally a sea of men and I was damned if I was going to let her take my spot (I was thinking of you picking the women off career move!) I kept her in sight and at the top of the hill I pipped her and ran as fast down the hill as my little legs could carry me and across the line :) No chip time, but Garmin time should be pretty accurate, 45:25. Really pleased with that, a 3 and a half min PB and at the end of a tough programme I'm pleased with that result. Turned out the guy I'd been stuck to using as a pacer had been using me as a pacer, so we thanked each other for pushing each other on and I went off to chat to DocJewel, Mrs DocJewel and the little DocJewels. He had finished a couple of minutes ahead of me and is looking in great shape for Cork.

My sis in law finished in 58 mins, so delighted for her as she is only running since February and it's her first 10k.

Overall pleased with how the day went. I think I could have pushed on a bit, but was probably being a little cautious with the goal race being so close. Great race on a lovely course, it's serious PB territory. If they could organise chip timing instead of the t shirt, then I'd really recommend it.

3 and a half min PB is exceptional - well done.

Just spotted the dog post as well, I run with my dog a lot, must take note and watch out for any signs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done N! Super time you should get great confidence from that! Not long to go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Running King, my vet always said short runs are fine for dogs (less than 5 miles) as long as they're not showing any signs of stiffness or soreness. He thinks that the running has nothing to do with Libby's pain, she's a cocker and they're prone to hip problems, so I'm sure your guy will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Excellent! Delighted for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great running, super day for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done .Nice time there ncmc. Stay healthy now for Cork.Looking forward to reading more good race reports then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Serious time ncmc :) Delighted for you, well deserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, nothing like a good race to boost confidence for Cork! :);)

16 miles @ 9:07

Probably not the best idea to do this lsr the day after a race, but I didn't want to leave it any later in the week. Found it tough going I must say. In my wisdom I decided to do a single out and back route with no water, so I was hanging by the time I got back to the car! Was fine though and my pace was ok. Glad to have it done now and that's the last lsr out of the way.

16 miles @ 9:07

Probably not the best idea to do this lsr the day after a race, but I didn't want to leave it any later in the week. Found it tough going I must say. In my wisdom I decided to do a single out and back route with no water, so I was hanging by the time I got back to the car! Was fine though and my pace was ok. Glad to have it done now and that's the last lsr out of the way.

Super! Its a benefit to do he LSR the day after a short race as you are not going a fast pace in it and your legs are tired from the start.

This semi-replicates what it will be like in the later part of the marathon. It probably was the best idea! :D

• Advertisement

That's a good point J, never thought of it like that! Extra glad I did it now :)

Good news back about Libby, her hip is not arthritis and it's nothing to worry about at the moment. She does have a heart murmur but it's not causing her any hassle so he's not overly concerned at this stage. I won't be bringing her running any more, so I reckon her spoofing worked!

Me on the other hand... Feeling very tired this week for some reason. Calves are a bit sore and sometimes it feels like I lose all strength in them, it's like they go from under me, it's weird. Have my sports massage booked for Monday. Am due to do 8 miles with 6 pmp tonight, sort of dreading it tbh.

Am due to do 8 miles with 6 pmp tonight, sort of dreading it tbh.

Keep in there! Not long to go!

5 miles @ 9:09

I had very sore legs at the start of this run, despite having had the previous two days off. Left calf/shin was quite niggly, felt like it would give under my weight. Then when that warmed up, my right hamstring started to hurt! Following advice on Blockic’s log, I gave my left calf a good rub down last night (thanks Career Move!), it hurt like bejesus and I could feel the knots, it actually feels a good bit better even after that couple of minutes massage. I have a sports massage on Monday, so will make sure he works that area. It’s been over three months since my last massage, I regret not getting one a month or so ago, but there’s nothing I can do about that now. For someone who never stretches or foam rolls, I’ve remarkably few issues!

I am wondering now how I should proceed for the next 10 days. I’ve taken an extra day off this week and Monday is out with my sports massage, so this was my plan:

Friday – Rest
    Saturday – 8 miles with 6 @ PMP
    Sunday – 7 miles
    Monday – Rest
    Tuesday – 12 miles
    Wed – dress rehearsal 7 miles with 2 @ PMP
    Thursday – rest
    Friday – 5 miles
    Saturday – rest
    Sunday – 2 miles

That 12 miles is sticking out at me as being possibly too much 6 days before the race, it’s actually this weeks MLR, but I pushed all my LSR’s out a day to Monday but with the massage this Monday, Tuesday is the earliest I can do it. What do you think? Should I just forget about that 12 miles? It’s hard knowing what the best balance between keeping nimble and overdoing it is!

5 miles @ 9:09

I had very sore legs at the start of this run, despite having had the previous two days off. Left calf/shin was quite niggly, felt like it would give under my weight. Then when that warmed up, my right hamstring started to hurt! Following advice on Blockic’s log, I gave my left calf a good rub down last night (thanks Career Move!), it hurt like bejesus and I could feel the knots, it actually feels a good bit better even after that couple of minutes massage. I have a sports massage on Monday, so will make sure he works that area. It’s been over three months since my last massage, I regret not getting one a month or so ago, but there’s nothing I can do about that now. For someone who never stretches or foam rolls, I’ve remarkably few issues!

I am wondering now how I should proceed for the next 10 days. I’ve taken an extra day off this week and Monday is out with my sports massage, so this was my plan:

Friday – Rest
    Sunday – 7 miles
    Monday – Rest
    Tuesday – 12 miles
    Thursday – rest
    Friday – 5 miles
    Saturday – rest
    Sunday – 2 miles

That 12 miles is sticking out at me as being possibly too much 6 days before the race, it’s actually this weeks MLR, but I pushed all my LSR’s out a day to Monday but with the massage this Monday, Tuesday is the earliest I can do it. What do you think? Should I just forget about that 12 miles? It’s hard knowing what the best balance between keeping nimble and overdoing it is!

19 miles over 2 days, the latter being 5 days before the marathon?

Friday – Rest
    Sunday – 7 miles
    Monday – Rest
    Tuesday – 12 miles
    Thursday – rest
    Friday – 5 miles
    Saturday – rest
    Sunday – 2 miles

Yeah, looks too much. If it was me:

Saturday – 6 miles with 4 @ PMP
    Sunday – 12 miles
    Monday – Rest
    Tuesday – dress rehearsal 7 miles with 2 @ PMP
    Wed – rest
    Thursday – 5 miles
    Friday – rest
    Saturday – rest
    Sunday – 2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Friday – Rest
    Sunday – 7 miles
    Monday – Rest
    Tuesday – 12 miles
    Thursday – rest
    Friday – 5 miles
    Saturday – rest
    Sunday – 2 miles

I'd move the 12 miles to Sunday if possible as any later and it's too close to next weekend.
    Also, probably good to have the last longish run done before the massage? You could move the MP miles from Sat to Sun as part of the long run. Then that leaves 8 easy miles on Sat but that could also be reduced to keep you fresh for Sunday.

Gavlor wrote: »
    19 miles over 2 days, the latter being 5 days before the marathon?

It's funny, P&D does strange things to your concept of mileage, that actually doesn't sound unreasonable to me! But yes, I take your point :o
    blockic wrote: »

Sunday – 12 miles
    Monday – Rest
    Wed – rest
    Thursday – 5 miles
    Friday – rest
    Saturday – rest
    Sunday – 2 miles
    That does make more sense. I'm still getting the last MLR in and a couple of MP runs but cutting some of the chaff. Will do 3 miles next Friday since my husband is doing his very first 5K and I said I'd run with him for moral support, but it will be at very easy pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sunday – 12 miles
    Monday – Rest
    Wed – rest
    Thursday – 5 miles
    Friday – rest
    Saturday – rest
    Sunday – 2 miles

+1, you don't want to do too much this week especially if the legs are giving you hassel. Getting the 12m done on Sunday will be fine especially if the sports massage leaves bruising which can happen somtimes so you might need to take a rest day on tuesday too, so the dress rehearsal might have to go to Wed. But don't stress too much about this, less is more especially the Week of the marathon, you have fantastic training done up to now so take it easy this week....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

12 miles is too much. I'm under strict instructions to do as little as possible. 2-3 mile runs during the week and no more than 6-8 at weekend. Rest is king!
    All the hard work has been done, you're not going to gain anything by running 12 miles now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

jcsmum wrote: »
    12 miles is too much. I'm under strict instructions to do as little as possible. 2-3 mile runs during the week and no more than 6-8 at weekend. Rest is king!
    All the hard work has been done, you're not going to gain anything by running 12 miles now.
    +1

You've done a solid block of training. Have confidence in it and you'll smash CCM :D

jcsmum wrote: »
    +1

You've done a solid block of training. Have confidence in it and you'll smash CCM :D

We'll agree to disagree! :D When you've done the P&D plan, a 12 mile LSR the 8 days before is ok IMO. It's taper after all, not complete rest weeks.

Thanks all, it's nice to get outside opinions, as I said before, your idea of 'too much' can get a bit warped on P&D, so it's nice to get an outside view. I think I will do the 8 with 6 @ PMP tomorrow, I haven't done many PMP miles in the last few weeks (the massive flaw in P&D IMHO) and I will do the 12 on Sunday at LSR pace. I will see how I feel after the massage on Monday, as Younganne pointed out, I am likely to be bruised, so probably no harm to have an extra days rest if needed.

It's getting close now, the road closure signs are up, the mile markers are down.... making me exceptionally nervous every time I see one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Thanks all, it's nice to get outside opinions, as I said before, your idea of 'too much' can get a bit warped on P&D, so it's nice to get an outside view. I think I will do the 8 with 6 @ PMP tomorrow, I haven't done many PMP miles in the last few weeks (the massive flaw in P&D IMHO) and I will do the 12 on Sunday at LSR pace. I will see how I feel after the massage on Monday, as Younganne pointed out, I am likely to be bruised, so probably no harm to have an extra days rest if needed.

It's getting close now, the road closure signs are up, the mile markers are down.... making me exceptionally nervous every time I see one!

Hah - tis gas, I got some feeling of the collywobbles myself yesterday morning when I saw the big road sign about the M8 being closed. :pac:

We'll agree to disagree! :D When you've done the P&D plan, a 12 mile LSR the 8 days before is ok IMO. It's taper after all, not complete rest weeks.
    You're right J

My marathon PB is faster than yours ...... thanks for reminding everyone :D

My marathon PB is faster than yours ...... thanks for reminding everyone :D

Come back to me in 10 days on that one! ;)

and if i recall correctly, you done a 14 miler the weekend before Limerick! :D

I know ..... time was running out to use that little gem :D
    I did ..... but I hadn't done a long run for 14 days previously because of the kclub race and I didn't have sore shins

And
    ..... a max run of 10/12 miles this week and even that is pushing it a bit. No run he can do at this stage is going to make the slightest bit of difference to his marathon performance. What is most likely to happen is that he will either be exhausted after a tough run and under perform or worse still, he could end up injured.

what's good for the goose is good for the gander ;)

what's good for the goose is good for the gander ;)

Can't beat training logs! :D

• Advertisement

You planning on finishing this one :D

Advertisement