Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

ncmc wrote: »
    Ok, this is probably a case of full blown taper madness, but I suffer a bit with sciatic type pain, not sure if it's sciatica or just tight glutes. It comes and goes in its intensity, and of course, wouldn't you know it, it's very bad today. I can deal with the pain in the bum, but it's causing pain all down my hamstrings and into my calf. It's also causing pins and needles sensation which is very uncomfortable. Normally it doesn't affect me when I run, but it actually was niggly last night. So I did some stretches at lunch time (on the table in the canteen - LOL if anyone has seen me :o:pac:) namely this stretch

lower_back_and_glute_stretch_236__1.jpg
    and this

hwkb17_076.jpg

And I must say, it did help a good bit, the pins and needles are gone and the pain is much less. Can anyone recommend any other stretches I could try? Would Deep Heat or Voltarol gel help do you think?

N, we do a stretch in Pilates very similar to your top diagram, just put your right hand on the ankle and pull ankle and knee in to your body, or even better still get your OH to press down on these points for you. It can be painful but try to relax in to it and it might help, def works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Mr and Mrs docjewel have me all confused! I don't know who is logged in at this stage! :pac::D

I find this stretch by far the best when it comes to the glutes(i've tried loads but this is the winner in my book):

http://www.fitness.com/exercises/202/glute_stretch.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

N, we do a stretch in Pilates very similar to your top diagram, just put your right hand on the ankle and pull ankle and knee in to your body, or even better still get your OH to press down on these points for you. It can be painful but try to relax in to it and it might help, def works for me.
    Thanks G, it was quite painful I must say, but it's definitely helped a bit. My main concern is that for the first time, I'm feeling it in my hip and I keep thinking of poor Steroo, but I think it's more muscular than anything else. I hope so anyway! I'll rope the hubby in to help later. He already thinks i've lost the plot, so he's just going along with me at this stage :D

blockic wrote: »
    Mr and Mrs docjewel have me all confused! I don't know who is logged in at this stage! :pac::D

I find this stretch by far the best when it comes to the glutes(i've tried loads but this is the winner in my book):

http://www.fitness.com/exercises/202/glute_stretch.php
    :eek: That looks confusing! I should add now, I am the least co-ordinated person you are ever likely to meet, it's a wonder I don't fall over more often!

In that stretch, are you bringing the affected leg up straight, or up and over towards the opposite shoulder?

:eek: That looks confusing! I should add now, I am the least co-ordinated person you are ever likely to meet, it's a wonder I don't fall over more often!

In that stretch, are you bringing the affected leg up straight, or up and over towards the opposite shoulder?

If your tightness is in the hip this will sort it right out!

Here is another pic of it attached. (happens to be on a woman's health mag website in the butt exercises section! :pac: but it's the best pic of it I could find! :o)

The left glute is being stretched in this case.

• Advertisement

If your tightness is in the hip this will sort it right out!

Here is another pic of it attached. (happens to be on a woman's health mag website in the butt exercises section! :pac: but it's the best pic of it I could find! :o)

The left glute is being stretched in this case.
    Pffft! A likely story ;)

Pffft! A likely story ;)

Damn google images directing me there!! ;) I can't seem to get off it now! :pac:

Damn google images directing me there!! ;) I can't seem to get off it now! :pac:
    Well it's nice to see i'm not the only one being completely unproductive at work :pac:

Pffft! A likely story ;)

Likely story indeed!! This is yet another Pilates stretch and excellent for the hip though again try to relax in to it for the full benefit. I think maybe Blockic attends a few Pilates classes no? Or else likes to look at pic of it all day??

I think maybe Blockic attends a few Pilates classes no? Or else likes to look at pic of it all day??

I would never be seen in yoga or pilates classes! Too manly for that! ;)

However I did indeed for a time go to core strengthening and flexibility for men classes ;) and they just happened to borrow a room in a yoga school. :pac::D

• Advertisement

I would never be seen in yoga or pilates classes! Too manly for that! ;)

However I did indeed for a time go to core strengthening and flexibility for men classes ;) and they just happened to borrow a room in a yoga school. :pac::D

Core strengthening = Pilates for men!

Core strengthening = Pilates for men!

It is nothing of the sort!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Busted, busted, busted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey ncmc just wanted to wish you the very best of luck for Monday. You've worked hard to get to the start line and deserve a fantastic race. I'm very excited for you as I know you will do brilliantly! (I would near put money on you finishing so well that you sign up for dcm 13 right away :p)
    I reckon you'll be absolutely buzzing being in your hometown :D Please let us know how you get on before the celebrations get too messy ;) ENJOY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Best of luck on Monday. Trust the training and ignore the demons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck on Monday...... You deserve a huge pb on the back of your training. Do it for Libby ;)

Thanks for all the good wishes guys, feeling very excited and no nerves at all which is strange for me. Just been to the expo, met up with Blockic. Nothing much at the expo so didn't waste my legs wandering around. Off home now to drink my fill of water and high 5 tabs and clock watch til Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Best of luck, you know what to do, nothing can stop you, I'll be down around the start line and ill try catch you.. Ps happy birthday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

+ 1 Best of luck. Your training has been fantastic.
    Can't wait to read your race report. Enjoy the beers afterwards:)

And happy birthday to you too Ste, hope you had that drink for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

And happy birthday to you too Ste, hope you had that drink for me ;)

You and everyone on boards! Only felt normal on Thursday after last sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

It was a bit sparse, wasn't it? Right, back to the hydration and electrolyte resupply.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Oh and naturally best of luck on Monday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Best of luck Monday N. Hope it all goes to plan for you. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck you will nail it!

2 miles @ 8:55

That's it, last run done! Absolutely baking out there already. I know there's no point worrying, but the weather is a major concern for me at the moment. Supposed to be going to the beach with the in laws, but I'm thinking a day in the sun could be a bad idea.

776 miles done for the year, will hopefully hit my 800th mile somewhere around the straight road tomorrow. Feeling pretty good about my training all in all. Roll on tomorrow!

Very best of luck N if I don't see ya in the morning!! You have a sub 3:45 in you sun or no sun! So did deep when the demons arrive! Remember, plenty high fives! :)

Will definitely see you by lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Best of luck tomorrow. Hope you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Great running N - delighted for you. And 12th in your category is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats ncmc. Delighted for you :)

Advertisement