Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

ncmc wrote: »
    Weighed myself this morning for the first time since Christmas…. Oh dear, I nearly dropped the Crunchie I was eating in shock :eek::eek::eek:

:D, hard not to laugh at that. I hope you remembered to subtract the weight of the crunchie from your weigh in [although once you ate it would need to be added back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Welcome back to the land of running,thought you'd taken bit of a sabbatical there for a while :D

Whats the plan/target for Ballycotton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

docjewel wrote: »
    Welcome back to the land of running,thought you'd taken bit of a sabbatical there for a while :D

Whats the plan/target for Ballycotton?
    Haven’t really any specific plan for Ballycotton, have been doing zero speed work since DCM, so will follow Meno’s plan on the DCM thread for the next few weeks and then start the P&D plan at the end of January with Cork being the major target. I’m hoping that 6 weeks of P&D will adequately prepare me for Ballycotton also. I’d love to do it in 75 mins, would need to be hitting this target to have any chance of a 3:30 in Cork. Really looking forward to it, haven’t raced since DCM, but might try and get a 5 or 10k in before Ballycotton just to get back into the swing of things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Haven’t really any specific plan for Ballycotton, have been doing zero speed work since DCM, so will follow Meno’s plan on the DCM thread for the next few weeks and then start the P&D plan at the end of January with Cork being the major target. I’m hoping that 6 weeks of P&D will adequately prepare me for Ballycotton also. I’d love to do it in 75 mins, would need to be hitting this target to have any chance of a 3:30 in Cork. Really looking forward to it, haven’t raced since DCM, but might try and get a 5 or 10k in before Ballycotton just to get back into the swing of things!
    Welcome back :D I think you'll have no problem with 75 min in Ballycotton with 6 solid weeks behind you. You have a really good base from DCM to work off. A 5k would be great. I found my aerobic fitness has really improved from the 2 I did at xmas. Did you see this 5 mile....might suit too http://www.runireland.com/events/annevalley-5-mile-challenge :D

Excellent,I can use you as my unofficial pacer for Balllycotton:D

• Advertisement

Welcome back :D I think you'll have no problem with 75 min in Ballycotton with 6 solid weeks behind you. You have a really good base from DCM to work off. A 5k would be great. I found my aerobic fitness has really improved from the 2 I did at xmas. Did you see this 5 mile....might suit too http://www.runireland.com/events/annevalley-5-mile-challenge :D
    Thanks CM, that could be an option, think there's a 4 mile race near me round that date... 4/5 miles, presume there wouldn't be much difference? I presume with either one you just run hard enough to throw up!

5 miles @ 9:03 this evening.

Excellent,I can use you as my unofficial pacer for Balllycotton:D

Hey! No fair! I was planning on following you around!

I suppose its only fair that the workload is shared :)

Being the gentleman that I am, I'll pace the first half & leave the glory of carrying us over the finish line to you ;):D

Did my 10 mile session tonight. It was tough I have to say. My splits were 9:25, 7:55, 7:58, 7:20, 7:20, 7:47, 8:34 (stopped for water) 7:31, 8:15 (stopped for cramp:( 10:06

In some ways it's disheartening because I have a long way to go if I'm to do Ballycotton in 75 mins, but on the other hand, it is my first speed session and my split times were based on a projected 3:30 marathon rather than my current 3:57. So I'm going to take it as a step in the right direction, with room left for improvement.

On the good news front, my new, very expensive Aldi socks are lovely and comfy! In your face stupid '1000 mile' socks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

On the good news front, my new, very expensive Aldi socks are lovely and comfy! In your face stupid '1000 mile' socks!

Ha ha.

Good session there. Ballycotton is race day and things will feel a lot different including your prep. And you've got nearly two months.

• Advertisement

4 miles @ 9:50

Nearly took a tumble off the pavement and jarred my knee a bit. Luckily didn't hurt myself, but it just shows how easy it is to injure oneself!

12 miles @ 9:20

Lovely day for running, sunny, mild and a nice cool breeze, bit of a change from slogging round on the dark on a wet weekday!

As advised in the P&D book, I started off my LSR slow and built up to the faster end of my recommended LSR pace.

Good run all in all, feels nice to build up the vitamin D levels too!

Well done ncmc,your off to a nice start to the year.

Keep it up & you'll have no problem hitting your targets for the year:)

Well done ncmc,your off to a nice start to the year.

Keep it up & you'll have no problem hitting your targets for the year:)

Thanks D, I see you're flying with the mileage already this year!

Are you planning to do Cork City Marathon?

Yep,once family commitments allow I'd hope to do Cork.

Cool. We could have a good crew going for after race drinks! Are you thinking in the region of 3:30?

I suppose realistically around 3:30 should be the target but at the moment I would have doubts over the speed aspect of a 3:30 attempt but then again this time last year I wouldn't have thought that I could do one in 4:00 not to mind a 3:43 finish.
    I have to say that I'm enjoying Meno's midweek sessions,they're really the first speed work that I've really done so with a few more of these 3:30ish will be a realistic target

I'm in the same boat, 3:30 seems a massive stretch at the moment and it would be a big drop for me from 3:57, but I'm hoping by following the P&D plan I'll get there or thereabouts.

We can pace each other and hopefully push each other over the line!

We can pace each other and hopefully push each other over the line!

Will hold you to that;-)
    Hopefully we'll have a few more boardies on the day to share the workload.

So the plan this week was:

Mon – 6 miles
    Tues – Rest
    Wed – Session (2 mile warm up 2x2 miles and 1x1 mile at 5 mile pace, 2 mile cool down)
    Thurs – 4 miles
    Fri – 5 miles
    Sat – 13 miles LSR
    Sun – Rest

But one of my friends in work wants me to do a 4 mile race on Sunday morning. Since I haven’t done any races since DCM, I think it would be a good idea to do it and try and find my 5K/5 mile pace. But I am wondering how to fit it in to my week. I would like to do a LSR this week, as the longest I have run since DCM is 12 miles, so I want to build up the mileage before starting P&D at the end of the month. Should I try and do my LSR on Friday evening? But then that would be 3 days tough running in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

How bout this:

Mon – 6 miles
    Tues – Rest
    Wed – Session
    Thurs – 5 miles recovery pace
    Fri – 13 miles LSR
    Sat – Rest
    Sun – 4 mile Race

or

Mon – 6 miles
    Tues – 5 miles
    Wed – Session
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – 13 miles LSR
    Sat – Rest
    Sun – 4 mile Race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

...or just drop one of the shorter runs so that you have some recovery time before the race. Missing one or two wouldnt make a huge difference since you're covering an lsr and a race. Then get back to normal next week. It might make your race performance better as well.

blockic wrote: »
    How bout this:

Mon – 6 miles
    Tues – Rest
    Wed – Session
    Thurs – 5 miles recovery pace
    Fri – 13 miles LSR
    Sat – Rest
    Sun – 4 mile Race

or

Mon – 6 miles
    Tues – 5 miles
    Wed – Session
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – 13 miles LSR
    Sat – Rest
    Sun – 4 mile Race

I'd go with option 1 from blockic if the time allows.Thurs recovery session should be easyish & will benefit the body.
    Therefore it shouldn't be 3 tough days in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If I were you I'd drop the session on Wednesday as the 4 Mile race will provide the same Stimulus. Do the LSR midweek instead of the session and be nice and fresh for the Race.
    If you are worried about mileage then just do an extra long warm up/cool down. 3 miles either side will give you a total of 10 anyway.

menoscemo wrote: »
    If I were you I'd drop the session on Wednesday as the 4 Mile race will provide the same Stimulus. Do the LSR midweek instead of the session and be nice and fresh for the Race.
    If you are worried about mileage then just do an extra long warm up/cool down. 3 miles either side will give you a total of 10 anyway.
    That sounds like a good plan, I am not overly worried about mileage at this stage so I might go with:

Mon - 6 easy
    Tues - Rest
    Wed - 13 LSR
    Thurs - 4 recovery
    Friday - 5 easy
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - 4 mile race

That's still 32 miles, once i'm doing in and around 30 for the next couple of weeks until I start the P&D, I'm happy enough. P&D starts at 33, so that shouldn't be too much of a shock to the system.

I'm keen to have fresh legs for the race as i'd like to get a good idea of my current time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's great. If i were you I'd still consider a warm-up before the race though. In such a short race, you need to be in to your stride straight away so a mile easy followed by a few strides would do the trick!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's great. If i were you I'd still consider a warm-up before the race though. In such a short race, you need to be in to your stride straight away so a mile easy followed by a few strides would do the trick!!
    Will do. I normally find the legs are a bit slow and stiff for the first couple of miles of a run, so will do a couple of easy miles for warm up before the race.

5 miles @ 9:25

Right knee worryingly painful. Must go back to the physio and see if he can help with it at all.

How's the leg feeling now?

Are you gonna chance running on it or wait till you've seen your physio?

• Advertisement

How's the leg feeling now?

Are you gonna chance running on it or wait till you've seen your physio?
    It’s ok….ish, it’s mostly fine day to day, but it can be painful when I run. The last time I was at the physio he told me it was scar tissue and performed some ultra sound on it which did help for a couple of weeks. I am going to carry on running on it (bold I know!) and see him on Monday or Tuesday.

Advertisement