Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Runchick wrote: »
    I must admit reading race reports makes me kick myself that I didn't do things differently in Limerick.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    +1 :(

It is only by experiencing things yourself as an individual that will make sure that they are done correctly on the next day out.

It is a cruel but best learning curve as it's something you will never forget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great racing, tough conditions.
    Nice report too, there's a lot of learning done on boards over the last few months!

Regarding Blocky being the only one to hit his target, he has a habit of setting soft targets :)

Regarding Blocky being the only one to hit his target, he has a habit of setting soft targets :)

I didn't have a target! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    I didn't have a target! :cool:

Hhhmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great report N. So that wasn't you that I waved at after 13 miles.....oops. She was in black and pink with a white nike hat. :o:)
    It was a tough day at the office for a lot of people but it's done now. Hope you're recovering okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

jcsmum wrote: »
    Great report N. So that wasn't you that I waved at after 13 miles.....oops. She was in black and pink with a white nike hat. :o:)
    It was a tough day at the office for a lot of people but it's done now. Hope you're recovering okay.
    I was thinking it couldn’t have been me you waved at, I would have been loooong behind you at that stage! So you mean to say there is another woman out there impersonating me???? Will have to look into this!

Still feel quite tired I must say. The legs feel pretty ok, I just feel totally drained. It’s a bit like you described in your log, I don’t have that feeling of elation that I had after Dublin, it was just so, so hard that it took the shine off the achievement if I’m being totally honest. I feel bad saying that, as I’m sure the ones who DNF would have done anything to finish, never mind get a PB, but those horrific miles 18-23 did take some of the sheen off the day. It once again made me realise what a great marathon I had in Dublin, if Cork had been my first, it would be enough to turn me off ever running again! As it is, I know that not all marathons are such a slog and that a cooler day can make the experience so much better, so I will be back to take on 3:30 in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

It is only by experiencing things yourself as an individual that will make sure that they are done correctly on the next day out.

It is a cruel but best learning curve as it's something you will never forget!

Too true and the story of my life - learn the hard way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Great report N, and your comments today are welcome I must say. After Monday I didn't care if I ever ran another marathon, I wasn't opposed to the idea, more a feeling of apathy towards it. I felt cheated of my big finish line buzz because I was so f*cked.
    This morning I'm checking out the Seville marathon next February and wondering how to broach the subject with the missus. :)
    I can't even walk properly yet and I'm dreaming up new ways to torture myself.

Beef wrote: »
    Great report N, and your comments today are welcome I must say. After Monday I didn't care if I ever ran another marathon, I wasn't opposed to the idea, more a feeling of apathy towards it. I felt cheated of my big finish line buzz because I was so f*cked.
    This morning I'm checking out the Seville marathon next February and wondering how to broach the subject with the missus. :)
    I can't even walk properly yet and I'm dreaming up new ways to torture myself.
    I’m delighted you’re getting back on the horse C, Seville in February sounds lovely and hopefully you will have a more enjoyable experience. I know exactly what you mean by that sense of apathy about Monday, I think we all felt the same. I think a some of that is just tiredness and heat exhaustion, I’m hoping that when I begin to feel a bit more like myself, I’ll look back on this marathon as an overall positive experience. I did enjoy coming in by the Quays and down Patrick Street, hopefully that’s the part that will stick in my mind rather than those devil miles!

You do have a sub 4 in you, Monday was just a bit of a freak occurance where everyone had a total nightmare. If you carry on the training like you have been so far this year, then I think you will have a great day out in Seville.

P.s. Just tell the Mrs that you’ve booked her a trip to Spain, maybe leave out the marathon bit til the last minute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

ncmc wrote: »
    Still feel quite tired I must say. The legs feel pretty ok, I just feel totally drained. It’s a bit like you described in your log, I don’t have that feeling of elation that I had after Dublin, it was just so, so hard that it took the shine off the achievement if I’m being totally honest. I feel bad saying that, as I’m sure the ones who DNF would have done anything to finish, never mind get a PB, but those horrific miles 18-23 did take some of the sheen off the day.

Sounds like a case of runners blues, happens after all the training up to a goal race and regardless of how you run, it ends up being an anticlimax for a while afterwards but once you get back running to form and sorted out the next race (don't say Connemara, OMG!! that's like 2014) you'll be back into the whole running thing and setting the next PB time. Despite the whole 18-23, you managed to get a PB. I had a similar experience in Dublin last year, I was heading for 3:30 and as soon as it was slowly slipping away, I giving up until around mile 24 I realised that there was a slim possibility of still getting a PB and ran hell for leather for the next two miles not knowing if I was still on for the PB. When I crossed the line, the PB was hit by just under a minute, but looking back, those last two miles made the other 6 miles insignificant.

(Bit like the summers we all had as a kid. You only remember the hot days and forget the cold ones making us think that the summers we had as a kid were always better) :D

• Advertisement

Hopefully you're right E, I had intended to take at least a week off running, but I'm mad to get back out there already. I'm blaming all the Ultra talk in the pub the other day, you've obviously brain washed me!

By the way, if you look up Cork City Marathon 2013 on Flickr, you're in at least 50% of the photos! I reckon you must have been tipping the photographers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Hey I never got to say well done! Really felt for you all on that heat, you looked in good shape on the final stretch! Good to hear you are ready to get back out! You did v well

Hopefully you're right E, I had intended to take at least a week off running, but I'm mad to get back out there already. I'm blaming all the Ultra talk in the pub the other day, you've obviously brain washed me!

By the way, if you look up Cork City Marathon 2013 on Flickr, you're in at least 50% of the photos! I reckon you must have been tipping the photographers :)

Well, I'm glad I bougth that book on 'Omnipresence for dummies' last week. Are you sure it's me? If I'm not smiling it up for the camera, then it's a counterfeit.

Seriously, take what you need this week to get over it, but as soon as your pinkies start to twitch or lazy guilt starts to burrow in about sitting round doing nothing, stand still take a deep breath and listen to your best playlist and put one foot in front of the other and then to stop them. If you can't , then you're ready! :D

Aimman wrote: »
    Well, I'm glad I bougth that book on 'Omnipresence for dummies' last week. Are you sure it's me? If I'm not smiling it up for the camera, then it's a counterfeit.
    Yep, definitely you! Although in fairness, they were all different photographers, I'm not suggesting you travel with your own press pack or anything :pac:

Hopefully you're right E, I had intended to take at least a week off running, but I'm mad to get back out there already.

Just how long it this week of AWOL exactly? :D

Aimman wrote: »
    Just how long it this week of AWOL exactly? :D
    The week is not up yet my friend!

I had intentions of doing some light runs last week, but then the temperature rose and the only exercise I felt like doing was waddling from my sun lounger to my fridge :o Then I was planning to head out last night, but it was too wet (I am the Goldilocks of weather conditions!)

But, I actually notice the weight gain in the last week, so will be getting my fat ar*e out on the road tonight come hell or high water :cool:

come hell or high water :cool:
    You're living in cork, you'll get both! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

The week is not up yet my friend!

I had intentions of doing some light runs last week, but then the temperature rose and the only exercise I felt like doing was waddling from my sun lounger to my fridge :o Then I was planning to head out last night, but it was too wet (I am the Goldilocks of weather conditions!)

But, I actually notice the weight gain in the last week, so will be getting my fat ar*e out on the road tonight come hell or high water :cool:

Hi N, make sure to take the run handy! Went for a recovery run last Friday, nice n slow, all good. Met up with a buddy on Sunday morning for a trail run & 3 miles in my left thigh went Stop! Physio this evening now . Maybe reverse taper is the way to go?

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Hi N, make sure to take the run handy! Went for a recovery run last Friday, nice n slow, all good. Met up with a buddy on Sunday morning for a trail run & 3 miles in my left thigh went Stop! Physio this evening now . Maybe reverse taper is the way to go?

Did I not see on the Portumna thread that you're planning to run the half??? Look after yourself, you don't want to do too much too soon after the marathon. No danger of me doing that, if I moved any less in the last week, moss would start growing on me :)

3 miles approx @ 10 min mile approx

With the judgement of my fellow Boardsies ringing in my ears, I guiltily put on my trainers for the first time since CCM and hit the road. My Garmin was taking exception to been woken up after a long sleep and wouldn’t pick up coverage, so I ran without. Got to wear my CCM t shirt :D it’s a wee bit tight :o

Was shocked by how tired and sore my legs felt. The route I took had a very gradual incline and my calves were screaming at me. My knee was sore too. Was surprised to be honest as I hadn’t had much pain in my legs after the marathon. Possibly a mistake to take so many rest days last week, may have been better doing a couple of recovery last week. Will take the runs handy for the rest of the week and hopefully will be back to normality by next week.

How do you 10 in 10 and back 2 back guys do it :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Possibly a mistake to take so many rest days last week, may have been better doing a couple of recovery last week. Will take the runs handy for the rest of the next 2 weeks and hopefully will be back to normality by next week.

Not at all, the rest week will do you good. Take is easy for a couple of weeks minimum. Don't rush things to try and get back to where you were before the marathon. I took me at least 5 weeks to get fully over me last one.

How do you 10 in 10 and back 2 back guys do it :confused::confused::confused:

Won't know until next month :eek: (but we wont be straining ourselves for a PB during it. You're recovering from pushing yourself to the limit last week.)

Not at all, the rest week will do you good. Take is easy for a couple of weeks minimum. Don't rush things to try and get back to where you were before the marathon. I took me at least 5 weeks to get fully over me last one.

+1, you'll get back into it. First few runs will be a bit creaky and rattley, but it will all come together before you know it. Throw in a few stretches within the first mile and at the end of the run just to flex out the muscles again.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Did I not see on the Portumna thread that you're planning to run the half??? Look after yourself, you don't want to do too much too soon after the marathon. No danger of me doing that, if I moved any less in the last week, moss would start growing on me :)

Gonna take it v.handy, although there is the potential of just getting carried away with the whole thing on the day. Just posted a tongue in cheek reply to AkingW, but when the adrenaline kicks in, who knows!!??
    Safe running.

My poor log has tumble week sweeping through it at the moment :o

Did next to no running last week, had a bit of a niggle in my ankle/top of my foot, so didn’t want to run on that and then I was away for the weekend and forgot my gear bag.

Feel a bit aimless without a goal race, I know there’s the Clonmel HM, but I find it hard to get enthusiastic about a HM, I have come to the realisation that I just like the longer distances. I am toying with the idea of doing another marathon this year. I definitely won’t do Dublin, but I am tempted by Clonakilty in December. It is a tough course, but if I was doing it, I think I’d do it for the enjoyment rather than trying to set a PB. I never thought I’d use the word ‘enjoyment’ to describe a marathon in the middle of winter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

My poor log has tumble week sweeping through it at the moment :o

Did next to no running last week, had a bit of a niggle in my ankle/top of my foot, so didn’t want to run on that and then I was away for the weekend and forgot my gear bag.

Feel a bit aimless without a goal race, I know there’s the Clonmel HM, but I find it hard to get enthusiastic about a HM, I have come to the realisation that I just like the longer distances. I am toying with the idea of doing another marathon this year. I definitely won’t do Dublin, but I am tempted by Clonakilty in December. It is a tough course, but if I was doing it, I think I’d do it for the enjoyment rather than trying to set a PB. I never thought I’d use the word ‘enjoyment’ to describe a marathon in the middle of winter :D
    http://www.dinglemarathon.ie/ ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Are you?
    No I would like to do it one year though. Love dingle :D

I would love to do Dingle, but I'm on my holidays. It's a pity, cos my sis in law is doing the HM and is say it's a beautiful scenic race. That's why I was thinking of Clon, I'd imagine it's similar to dingle, tough but scenic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Clonakilty also does back to back marathons:D

http://www.clonakiltyback2backmarathons.com/

You'd have to wait till February though for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

RedRunner wrote: »
    Clonakilty also does back to back marathons:D

http://www.clonakiltyback2backmarathons.com/

You'd have to be half mad though for that.

FYP ;)

Advertisement