Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I knew it was time to end my running sabbatical when I found myself watching the beer mile footage and it was the running rather than the beer I was coveting :) But oh my lord, my running gear must have all shrunk cos everything was feeling a bit snug... My Cork marathon top is practically obsene!

What a fabulous evening for a run though, left it til about 8:30 and it was lovely and cool. Hit my local forest trail and my legs felt nice and fresh. The large dinner and malteaser ice cream I had eaten was less refreshing (the mystery of the shrinking clothes is becoming a little clearer isn't it!)

6 miles done @ 8:38 and it feels good to be back!

Have decided to stop procrastinating and am going to join Eagle A/C. Hoping to do my first session with them on Thursday. I'm all nervous and excited! It's like first day at school :)

Yikes, how did my poor unloved log end up all the way down on page 6

Wednesday – 4 miles @ 8:46. Took this one easy as I thought I would be having my first club meeting the next day. After getting advice here and also from a friend of a friend who is a member, I decided to not go along to the club meeting until Tuesday as there is a bigger crowd on a Tuesday than a Thursday and there was also a race on this particular Thursday, so there would even be less people there.
    Sunday – 12 miles @ 9.22. First run of any significant distance since CCM. I ran along the N8 which is probably my least favourite route, but I didn’t have the energy or inclination to drive somewhere nicer. Decided to run this by feel as that’s what all the fit young things seem to be doing these days :pac: so as a result, it was probably a bit slower than my usual LSR pace. Enjoyed this run despite it being quite windy in parts and quite a hilly route. My legs were tired after it, so I’d say I still am feeling the effects of CCM. Had a savage bacon butty after it, fresh white roll, crispy bacon and mustard…. Yum-E! :D

Looking forward to this week, definitely going along to the club session tomorrow and aim to do 13-14 miles this weekend, so hopefully getting back up to higher mileage this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the club N, you'll love it!

Monday – Rest

Tuesday – 8 miles @ 8:21
    So tonight was my first club session and I was as nervous as hell before hand! Was there mad early as I work quite close by. Did a couple of miles warm up on the track before the rest of the guys arrived. There was actually 3 other women there for the first time so I felt much better that I wasn’t the only newbie. There wasn’t a huge crowd there last night and they split in to two groups, the fast group was a too fast for me, so I went with the slower group. We did 3 x 1 mile @ 8 mins with .5 mile recovery in between. It was a pretty easy session and I will definitely be pushing myself harder next week, but it was nice to get a relaxed introduction and everyone seemed very friendly. I loved it I have to say, loved having the company, loved running on the track, it was all great.

Just for you Eamonn, I rewarded myself with one of these bad boys afterwards
    2090892496_c4f701b810.jpg
    Most of the club are doing a 5 mile race in Shanagarry on Thursday night, so I think I might tag along too even though I am woefully unprepared for racing. Might just do it at HMP and treat it as a LT run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Session too easy? Enjoyed running on the track? Thinking of longer races? I think we'll be seeing you line up at the start of the Belfast 24h next year.

You're going to have to change your log name to 'What???? You're running an Ultra!!!!!

That's it, you're hooked on the club, picking out a race already. You'll be kitted out in the Club Singlet & Jacket next. Glad you enjoyed the Crunchie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

You should race it for the hell of it. What's the worst that can happen? It's only 5 miles and it's a great time to take advantage of all the marathon endurance training that'll be in your legs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

You should race it for the hell of it. What's the worst that can happen? It's only 5 miles and it's a great time to take advantage of all the marathon endurance training that'll be in your legs

I concur

The utter shame of my new club mates seeing me heaving my guts out into a hedge for one :eek::o

But yes, I suppose you're right, may as well give it a good punt anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    The utter shame of my new club mates seeing me heaving my guts out into a hedge for one :eek::o

Nah that'll only give you hardcore status ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Monday – Rest

Tuesday – 8 miles @ 8:21
    So tonight was my first club session and I was as nervous as hell before hand! Was there mad early as I work quite close by. Did a couple of miles warm up on the track before the rest of the guys arrived. There was actually 3 other women there for the first time so I felt much better that I wasn’t the only newbie. There wasn’t a huge crowd there last night and they split in to two groups, the fast group was a too fast for me, so I went with the slower group. We did 3 x 1 mile @ 8 mins with .5 mile recovery in between. It was a pretty easy session and I will definitely be pushing myself harder next week, but it was nice to get a relaxed introduction and everyone seemed very friendly. I loved it I have to say, loved having the company, loved running on the track, it was all great.

Just for you Eamonn, I rewarded myself with one of these bad boys afterwards
    2090892496_c4f701b810.jpg
    Most of the club are doing a 5 mile race in Shanagarry on Thursday night, so I think I might tag along too even though I am woefully unprepared for racing. Might just do it at HMP and treat it as a LT run.

How'd you go in that race last night N, just following up to see how you got on with the club thingy!!.... I was considering one myself and asked my wife to ask a work colleague of hers about his club. Its Eagle and I think the advice is similar to what you have experienced. I'm in the same boat as you were....bit nervous about this club thing!! I'll follow ur progress for a while and if I see you attempting anything mad I'll stay well away !!

• Advertisement

tomred1N wrote: »
    How'd you go in that race last night N, just following up to see how you got on with the club thingy!!.... I was considering one myself and asked my wife to ask a work colleague of hers about his club. Its Eagle and I think the advice is similar to what you have experienced. I'm in the same boat as you were....bit nervous about this club thing!! I'll follow ur progress for a while and if I see you attempting anything mad I'll stay well away !!
    Hi D, it’s Eagle I’ve joined, you should come along! They prefer you to come to a few sessions before committing to joining to see if it’s a good fit. They seem really nice and very welcoming of newbies. It would be nice to see a familiar face (you’ll have to wear the orange hat though or I might not recognise you :pac:) I can promise you I won’t be attempting anything mad, and if I do, it will be not the fault of the club, more like Aimman’s fault for trying to persuade me that it’s perfectly normal to spend 24 hours running round and round a track in Belfast :eek:

I didn’t end up doing the race last night, logistic wise it was too much hassle. I would have had to go straight from work and would have been there hours early and wouldn’t have got home til after 10pm, so it just seemed too much trouble for a 5 miler. There is a 5 mile race in Fermoy in two weeks, so will do that instead. Looking at the results from the Eagle finishers last night, I would have been down towards the bottom based on my previous 5 mile race, so have a lot of catching up to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Well done on joining a club ncmc. I like you been debating this one for ages as it means a bit of a drive /hassle etc. But was chatting to one of my friends the last day who's in a club and from what she's been telling me I can't see how ones times wouldn't improve from training in a group. I'm slightly faster than her but when we went through the speed session splits she does with the club as opposed to what I attempt on my own, Im lagging way behind. A group setting would def push you to go faster. I think im going to bite the bullet Tues week and go join them.
    Best of luck with it all. Looking forward to following your progress:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Pretty much tumbleweed around here these days N - you on holidays again or are you off in a secret high-altitude training camp? :D

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Pretty much tumbleweed around here these days N - you on holidays again or are you off in a secret high-altitude training camp? :D
    Haha, no, neither unfortunately! Although now that you mention it, we will be on holidays in 7 weeks and we start off at 7500ft in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, so maybe I should sneak in a bit of altitude training while i'm there.... LOL, i'm slow enough at sea level, never mind at altitude :o

I was down in Clonakilty for the weekend and ran a bit of the marathon course. I can confirm that it is made up entirely of downhills and attractive women handing out water and Mr Freeze's.... still can't tempt you??? :D

I have been running, I swear, it's just all my runs have been at one pace (slow) and have all being pretty much the same (hot and sweaty) so I haven't had much to report. I was half tempted to do the last day of the 10 in 10 just to have something to write in my log! Thankfully the closing date had passed and common sense has returned and I am sticking to a 5 mile race in Kilworth tonight instead. Not expecting a great time to be honest, have no speed training done at all, but i'll give it a good try anyway and if nothing else, I can use it as a LT session for Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I was half tempted to do the last day of the 10 in 10 just to have something to write in my log! Thankfully the closing date had passed and common sense has returned and I am sticking to a 5 mile race in Kilworth tonight instead.

Are you sure it's closed? I booked Day 2 about 36 hrs in advance. I'm sure if you really want to run it I could manage to get you registered for it!;)
    Worst case scenario you could do a private pacing job for Eamo!:pac:

belcarra wrote: »
    Are you sure it's closed? I booked Day 2 about 36 hrs in advance. I'm sure if you really want to run it I could manage to get you registered for it!;)
    Worst case scenario you could do a private pacing job for Eamo!:pac:
    Quiet you!

Grange Fermoy 5 mile race - 5 miles in (I'm nearly embarrassed to write this) 39:30

I was debating whether to write this report or not, but Boards is there for the failures as well as the triumphs so here goes! This was probably the worst race I have experienced. I arrived at the registration which was a mile from the start and jogged over. Even though it was 7:30, the heat was colossal. I did 2 miles warm up and was sweating buckets already which I knew wasn't a good sign. Race was a nice course at the army camp, country roads which they'd closed which was great. Race started at 8 and the first mile was grand, 7:07. I didn't really have a target, but was hoping between 35-37:30. Second mile was a bit slower as we negotiated a bit of a hill. The heat was beginning to get to me and I was hoping as it was 2.5 mile loop run twice that there might be water after the first lap. But no such look and I was really suffering for it. All went pear shaped in the third mile when I felt like all my strength had left me and my mouth was bone dry. Didn't even look at my watch, but you can imagine how slow it was. Was stopping and walking for a few seconds trying to get some life back. But I was getting a clammy cold sweat when I walked. The finish line couldn't come soon enough and my only slight consolation was that there was fit looking club lads came in after me.

I had a bit of water and walked a bit towards home, in my wisdom I thought I'd jog rather than drive. Got talking to a nice chap from Eagle AC about joining. Left them at the crossroads to the main road and jogged the few miles home. Minute I started jogging, both my calves totally locked up. Wtf, this had never happened. Carried on and began to feel weaker and weaker until I thought I was going to pass out. I was covered in a cold sweat after 2.5 miles cool down and wondering how I was going to run the remaining mile home, when lo and behold, my husband came up on chance to collect me! It's like he sensed I was in trouble. Was really clammy, light headed and nauseous now and was never so relieved to get home. A shower and some food helped, but I'm still not feeling 100%.

So what went wrong? Well, who knew that a combination of sauntering round aimlessly for a few weeks, smoking too many sneaky cigarettes and eating junk food was not a recipe for PB central! Also on the night I think a combination of not enough food and heat scuppered me somewhat. It's tricky to get the food intake right for short night races and I definitely fell on the side of eating too little. Should have had something carby for lunch at least.

So it's been a bit of a wake up call just how much fitness I've lost over the last 6 weeks. Plan now is to add some structure to my training. Get to the club at least once a week, and even though I'm not running Dublin, maybe follow Meno's sessions. Also considering hibernating until the weather cools down! If its like this the day of Clonmel, I'm not going.... Chocolate cake or no chocolate cake ;)

Oh meant to add, my legs haven't felt right since CCM, hamstrings and calves sore and tight. Have been putting off going to the physio, but after the calves cramping like that last night I think I need a visit. Oh, and stretching a bit would probably help too!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Sounds like a rough night at the office but I've had a few of them of late & they only get better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good honest report NCMC. It's very easy to write about running when everything is going great. Boards is a good place though too to tease out the problems and get the right advice, at least I certainly find that. Hope you recover quickly.

I know what you mean about the sneaky cigarettes too.I'm a bit prone to that too after a few beers.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey ncmc I had this exact experience at first 10km after Limerick marathon so know exactly how you feel. Isn't it funny that many of us are having the same experience after the marathon training. I don't know about you but I kind of expected to be able to run well and be fitter than before but clearly wasn't. Go easy on yourself, build things up again and you'll be back at your best in no time. 5 weeks to Clonmel is heaps of time. Probably best to see physio too. I love the way your hubby turned up to rescue you - very in tune :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Tough run, but well done on finishing.

These days make the real good days all the more sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Hard luck on the run, but like you said, we all have good days and bad days. The heat hasn't been doing anybody any favours lately and yesterday I heard some interesting stats about the reduced speeds as temperatures go up. It's most likely a combination of different things, but it's difficult to do well in the 5k-10k range if you haven't been doing the speedwork for it.

At least you have a benchmark now of sub 40 5M to work on and something to smash to pieces one the training plan has kicked in.

PS, you can't have been in that bad a shape if you were able to notice good looking men crossing the line after you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Great race report ncmc. Sorry to read of your disappointment, as someone else said the bad days will make the good days all the sweeter! We all experience races that dont go as planned unfortunately, but like yourself I do find boards excellent for letting the frustration out. I've been struggling to even do easy runs in this heat so fair play on even doing a race in it! By the way how good is this chocolate cake in Clonmel? Could be worth a drive down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

N, we have all had poor races, no shame in that! It's no fun training in the heat let alone race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Hard luck ncmc but sher there's always the next race. There's the Charleville HM too which I'm keeping an eye on. If I'm not in good shape for Clonmel and don't pb - I'll have another crack in Charleville. That's the good thing with running - there's always another race to focus on and help you forget about the previous one. And God knows I need some help to forget about Cork. :)

Beef wrote: »
    Hard luck ncmc but sher there's always the next race. There's the Charleville HM too which I'm keeping an eye on. If I'm not in good shape for Clonmel and don't pb - I'll have another crack in Charleville. That's the good thing with running - there's always another race to focus on and help you forget about the previous one. And God knows I need some help to forget about Cork. :)
    I am thinking of doing Charleville as well, though I found out last night that it’s gone up in price from €25 last year to €35 this year, so it’s a bit steep. Also, I will only be home from my holidays the previous weekend, so not sure 2 weeks of American sized portions is the way to get a PB!

I am just finding that all these bad races are really knocking my confidence and I find I am mentally giving up after the first few miles. I need to get my mental attitude right as much as anything. I can honestly say I have only really enjoyed one race this year, compared to last year were I loved every race. As the saying goes, with running, 90% of it is mental and the rest of it is in your head!

Is there anything nicer than when you've been hot and irritable all day in work, waiting til sunset and going for a nice easy run in the cool evening air.... Heaven. I now know why the dog goes running round like a mad thing once the day cools, it's a great feeling!

Just won entry into the Fit Magazine 10K and a pair of Brooks trainers in a Red FM competition! Don't think I can make the race as I have a hen night in Dingle on Saturday night, but delighted to be getting a new pair of trainers.... I don't think I've ever won anything before in my life :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Some week for you! There won't be a cow milked in Clones tonight! :)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Some week for you! There won't be a cow milked in Clones tonight! :)

Wasn't able to make it to the match due to the hen night, gutted to miss it, what an amazing result. Lucky I wasn't wearing a HRM in the last ten minutes, I think I would have been off the charts! Up the Farney Army and yes, Monaghan officially closed for business til Tuesday :)

Advertisement