Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ncmc wrote: »
    Wasn't able to make it to the match due to the hen night, gutted to miss it, what an amazing result. Lucky I wasn't wearing a HRM in the last ten minutes, I think I would have been off the charts! Up the Farney Army and yes, Monaghan officially closed for business til Tuesday :)

All going well I'll see you in croker for Mayo v Monaghan semi final N!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

belcarra wrote: »
    All going well I'll see you in croker for Mayo v Monaghan semi final N!

It's a date! How did you get on at the weekend J? Been trying to google the results but I only seem to be getting previous years. You must be totally shattered.

It's a date! How did you get on at the weekend J? Been trying to google the results but I only seem to be getting previous years. You must be totally shattered.

100.66 miles, so very happy! Hit the ton in 21hrs24mins and only bothered to do two more laps after that.
    Already pondering aiming for 200km next year:eek:!
    (That would have got 5th place overall this year)

100.66 miles, so very happy! Hit the ton in 21hrs24mins and only bothered to do two more laps after that.
    Already pondering aiming for 200km next year:eek:!
    (That would have got 5th place overall this year)
    Wow, that is incredible, just incredible. You should be very, very proud of yourself. Looking forward to the race report, it obviously wasn't too bad if you're considering next year already!

Right, this boozing and celebrating epic football wins is all very well and good, but time I got my ass in gear and started putting some work in. Less than 4 weeks to the Clonmel HM and the only aspect I’m well prepared in, is eating the cake afterwards.

Tuesday – 8 miles @ 7:49
    Club session yesterday, my first in a few weeks. Did two miles warm up then one fast lap, one recovery, one fast, one recovery. Didn’t set my lap button properly, but I reckon the fast laps were somewhere around 6:00-6:15. The rest of the group arrived and we did 3 x 7 min miles with 2 min standing recovery (well, they did 4, I slowed down for the last one!) and then I did 2 x 8 min miles. It was tough, but to be honest, after the weekend of excess and general lack of running with any kind of purpose, I expected it to be tougher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Right, this boozing and celebrating epic football wins is all very well and good, but time I got my ass in gear and started putting some work in. Less than 4 weeks to the Clonmel HM and the only aspect I’m well prepared in, is eating the cake afterwards.

Tuesday – 8 miles @ 7:49
    Club session yesterday, my first in a few weeks. Did two miles warm up then one fast lap, one recovery, one fast, one recovery. Didn’t set my lap button properly, but I reckon the fast laps were somewhere around 6:00-6:15. The rest of the group arrived and we did 3 x 7 min miles with 2 min standing recovery (well, they did 4, I slowed down for the last one!) and then I did 2 x 8 min miles. It was tough, but to be honest, after the weekend of excess and general lack of running with any kind of purpose, I expected it to be tougher.

If I were u I'd run another race soon if u did that last night after a weekend of excess!!. I wouldnt even go out last night with the humidity.....worse than the sun shining last week. How u finding the club sessions?

tomred1N wrote: »
    If I were u I'd run another race soon if u did that last night after a weekend of excess!!. I wouldnt even go out last night with the humidity.....worse than the sun shining last week. How u finding the club sessions?
    Thanks D, I really enjoy the club sessions (well, I’ve only been to two :o) I wouldn’t be the greatest at motivating myself on my own, especially for the faster stuff, so it’s great to be in a group and once pride kicks in, it’s far harder to stop. They do all sorts at the club, there were guys doing 5 min miles :eek:, reps of 400m at various speeds and then a few slower mile reps. So there is usually someone going your speed (or a bit faster – gotta push yourself :pac:)

Have you thought any more about joining one yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Thanks D, I really enjoy the club sessions (well, I’ve only been to two :o) I wouldn’t be the greatest at motivating myself on my own, especially for the faster stuff, so it’s great to be in a group and once pride kicks in, it’s far harder to stop. They do all sorts at the club, there were guys doing 5 min miles :eek:, reps of 400m at various speeds and then a few slower mile reps. So there is usually someone going your speed (or a bit faster – gotta push yourself :pac:)

Have you thought any more about joining one yourself?

nah did nothing since, went to UCC farm one sunday morning alright and joined a long run.....that's my main interest in a club for the moment as I don't really want to have to drive back to cork for 7-8pm pm on a weeknight as I usually do my runs as soon as I get home and get them out of the way. might change when winter comes though as sessions are not possible in dark country roads... maybe a boards long run could be organised in cork with some of your contacts !!

tomred1N wrote: »
    nah did nothing since, went to UCC farm one sunday morning alright and joined a long run.....that's my main interest in a club for the moment as I don't really want to have to drive back to cork for 7-8pm pm on a weeknight as I usually do my runs as soon as I get home and get them out of the way. might change when winter comes though as sessions are not possible in dark country roads... maybe a boards long run could be organised in cork with some of your contacts !!
    That's actually a really good idea! I might have a wee think about that and see if we could organise something. I'm the same as you, not worth my while going home before the club, so I just change in work, go straight there and do a few warm up laps while i'm waiting. That way, I get a good 8-10 miles done and I don't mind then that i'm late home. I think Eagle do long runs on a Saturday and someone said they do a MLR on a Wednesday during the winter, so that is something that I would be interested in.

Hello…. Remember me? I used to be runner and post round these parts :cool: I haven’t disappeared off the face of the earth and I have been running, I swear, but since I lost my watch, I have been guestimating my mileage and I haven’t a clue of my speed (though I would reckon it would be very much on the ‘slow’ end of things) so I haven't been inclined to log my runs. I have been enjoying all the summer season has to offer a bit too much, culminating this weekend in VIP tickets to the Indiependance festival in Mitchelstown, corporate box tickets in Croke Park on Saturday :(, a night out in Clare on Sunday and a BBQ last night back in Cork… phew, I’m wrecked! As you can imagine, running was not forefront in my mind with all that going on!

So it was with a bleary eye this morning that I looked at the calendar and realised that it is only 18 weeks to the Clonakilty marathon, so you know what that means…. New training plan and more importantly a new spread sheet :pac: Since this isn’t really a goal marathon for me this year, I have decided that I can’t face another dose of P&D, so have decided to do a souped up version of Hal Higdon Intermediate 2. Souped up because I have replaced one of the short easy runs every week with a club session and rather than 3x20 mile runs I will do 20,21 and 22. With the changes I have made, it isn’t terribly different to P&D, about 100 miles less over the 18 weeks and a bit less speedwork, but I still thinl I’m getting a good mix of PMP and speedwork with the club sessions thrown in there. The big difference for me is that the midweek runs are shorter, the longest is 10 miles, so that makes things a lot easier as the nights draw in.

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make the Clonmel HM on Sunday week. One of my cousins got engaged over the weekend and is having a big engagement party up home that weekend. I half considered going to the party on the Saturday night and then driving to the HM that morning, but it’s 3.5 hours away and my enthusiasm does not stretch that far, so have decided to let it go this year. Enjoy the extra chocolate cake Dilbert ;) I will target either the Charleville HM or the Cork to Cobh instead. The C to C works out well for me time wise in the plan and it’s a steal at only €10 for BHAA members, so am leaning towards that.

So, lets get this underway with a nice easy week. This week calls for

Tues - 3, Wed - 5, Thurs - 3, Sat - 5 PMP, Sun - 10.

I thought today was Monday and forgot my gear, so no club for me tonight, from next week on that easy run on Tuesday will be an interval session of roughly 8 miles.

So bring it on :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Best of luck for Clon N!
    I'm sure you know yourself but that course is pretty hilly so try to incorporate a few similar hills into your LSRs and perhaps the longer MSRs (8-10 milers) midweek.

Best of luck for Clon N!
    I'm sure you know yourself but that course is pretty hilly so try to incorporate a few similar hills into your LSRs and perhaps the longer MSRs (8-10 milers) midweek.
    Thanks! No fear of the hills, plenty of them round my way so they'll be incorporated whether I like it or not!

Tuesday - 3 miles @ 9.01
    Can't remember the last time I only ran 3 miles.... probably the day before CCM. Short runs rock, I was home and showered in no time!

Wednesday - 5 miles @9.02
    This was the first run in ages that I felt really comfortable. I know that sounds silly as it was only 5 miles, but most of my runs since CCM have felt like a slog. Don't know if it was the fact that it was late and cool (9:30) or the fact that my head is back in the zone now that I'm following a plan again... I reckon it's the latter, I'm all up in my head as you know!

I have been using the Runkeeper app in lieu of my Garmin watch and I have to say it's fantastic. Tracks speed, time, distance with a live map, does pretty much everything I used the Garmin for. Not sure if you can set up a session, but if you can, i'd be tempted to not bother with a new watch. Plus it talks to you every so often and sends you 'motivational' emails... what's not to love :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

. Plus it talks to you every so often

Are you sure you're not just using a satnav program? Every time it says 'recalculating' do you think you're going so fast it can't do the maths quick enough? :P

Aimman wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not just using a satnav program? Every time it says 'recalculating' do you think you're going so fast it can't do the maths quick enough? :P
    Haha, you mean that's not the reason :(

It's great though, it tells you every few minutes how far you've run and your pace, it's like running in the Clonmel HM with Dilbert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Haha, you mean that's not the reason :(

It's great though, it tells you every few minutes how far you've run and your pace, it's like running in the Clonmel HM with Dilbert :D

Smart ass. This year I'll regale you with tales of cycling and adventure racing. Oh wait - no this year you're going on the beer instead and I'm having your cake... :D

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Smart ass. This year I'll regale you with tales of cycling and adventure racing. Oh wait - no this year you're going on the beer instead and I'm having your cake... :D
    Aww, I am gutted to be missing it, even though I'm not exactly match fit, I was looking forward to it.

Hmmm, beer or cake.... that's like Sophie's Choice :pac:

Thursday - 3 miles @ 9:20
    It's a sure sign Niamh has started another training plan when the rain comes back! Got absolutely drenched on this run, just reminded me how long it's been since I had to run in the rain... better get used to it, the joys of running a winter marathon :(

5 miles @ 8:17

My house and car had a competition today to see which was more boggin dirty... The result was a draw :( So I had a long day of cleaning today, but it wasn't all bad... I found my garmin watch wedged down the side of the back seat in my car! Am totally baffled as to how it got there but anywho, delighted to have it back. Just shows how manky my car was, I searched it twice for that watch!

So house and auto sparkling, I went out late for a PMP run. It's funny, the HH plans don't call for any warm up or cool down miles, just straight in no kissing. It was fine, only 5 miles so not too taxing. The plan also calls for the LSR to be run the day after the pmp miles, so I suppose that's good practise for the second half of the marathon. Only 10 mile LSR this week so I'll do that in the morning.

11 miles @ 9:46

Decided to change my route a bit and run to Waterford and back (the county, not the city - now that would be impressive!) This run was slow, even for me, but somewhat embarrassingly, this actually the longest run I've done in quite a number of weeks! So I'm going to concentrate on getting the distance back up again and worry about speed thereafter. It was still within the limits of my LSR speed, just at the very very top end!

Found this run quite tough I have to say, was on a narrow road so kept having to stop and step into the side if the road to let cars pass so it was hard to keep momentum going. But it was grand, I've been running late in the day recently, so nice to have it done and dusted by lunch time (that's the crack of dawn to me!)

Week 1 completed - 27 miles.

Tuesday - 8 miles @ 8:57

Club session tonight, I'm really beginning to enjoy these as I get a bit more familiar with the people and the way it works. Did 2 miles warm up and then 8x400 metres with 400 metre recovery. Didn't time the 400's exactly, but they were roughly between 1:30-1:35. Good session, I really enjoyed it. Next week I plan to (wo)man up and to do 800's with the big boys and try and get those lap times down a bit.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with 1.30 400's N!

Well, in the interest of full disclosure... Most were probably closer to 1:35, think I managed one at 1:30, one at 1:32. If I could get them all down to 1:30 I'd be happy. There was a group doing 3:10 800's that I chickened out of, so I need to bite the bullet and push a bit more. Worst case scenario you drop out after a couple of reps. No one passes any remarks.

She's put my last two interval sessions to shame :(

Right then. Nothing wrong with 1.30's 400's N!

Monday - 4 miles @9:46

Total disaster of a week last week, not one, but two strange niggles caused me to miss all my runs after Tuesday. I had a weird pain in my left heel which I've never had before and left me barely able to put weight on it, never mind run. Just as that was clearing up, I got a pain in the inside of my right knee. I've had knee pain in the past, but not in that particular spot. Have no idea what may have caused it. I am wondering if I need new trainers, even though there's only 333 miles in my current pair. Can't wear my Blockic pink Mizuno pair either as they kill my legs. Forgot until today that I won a pair a few weeks ago and never heard back from Red FM! So must get on that tomorrow.

So headed out for a few slow miles tonight and all seems fine. Have to resist the temptation to cram my missed miles in to this week, I'm on low enough mileage that I probably could get away with it, but don't want to push it too much. Have a wedding on Saturday, so have to get all my runs done before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Every bloody log around here has mentioned my RED mizunos at this stage! :D

Touchy or what.....sheesh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

blockic wrote: »

You posted the picture! What u expect.

Have to resist the temptation to cram my missed miles in to this week, I'm on low enough mileage that I probably could get away with it, but don't want to push it too much.

Definitely a good idea to skip cramming. does more bad then good, particularly if you have niggles.

The Right Knee pain could be a knock on from the Left Heel if you have been changing your gait to take the pressure off the left heel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

blockic wrote: »

Not on RedRunner's log ! .....pun completely intended!:D

Advertisement