Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Aimman wrote: »
    Definitely a good idea to skip cramming. does more bad then good, particularly if you have niggles.

The Right Knee pain could be a knock on from the Left Heel if you have been changing your gait to take the pressure off the left heel.

+1 to this. Plenty of time until Clonakilty to get those miles back up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

9 miles @ 9:00

Club session tonight, definitely my favourite run of the week. For anyone thinking of joining a club, just do it!

After 4 miles LL (lonely laps - these I could definitely do without!) I did 8 x 400m with 400 recovery. Was averaging 1:30-1:35 again for these. I like doing 400's, they are hard enough to make you feel it, but short enough to not leave you in complete bits. 1 mile c/d to see out the session.

Friday - 13 miles @9:15

This was a a strange one, started off great, lovely evening for running, nice cool breeze. I had only planned to do 12 miles but decided to tack on an extra mile. Was all going well and feeling very comfortable until about 10 miles when I started getting spasms at the base of my back (another new and unwelcome niggle!) I had to stop to stretch it out a couple of times and I managed to get the run finished. But by the time I got home, I could barely walk. I tried stretching and rolling and it seems to have helped a bit. I was due to run today, but I think I'm going to play it safe and leave it til tomorrow. Worst of all I have a wedding today, I hope it won't affect my shape throwing!

Don't know what's causing these niggles. I'd say my trainers are pretty shot. I picked up the pair I won yesterday. They are Brooks Adrenalin GTS 13 (in green and grey for those that think trainers only come in pink these days!) I will wear those tomorrow and see if that helps. They are a more structured shoe than I'm used to so not sure what effect that will have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Not relevant to you really N but Mrs D recently changed to the same ones and finds them great - much stiffer than the Asics she's used to but better. She's looking to get a second pair of them so she doesn't keep making the mistake of running in worn shoes.

Thanks C, that's good to know she likes them. I currently wear Nike Pegasus which are neutral, but when I got my gait analysed, he did say I had a very slight over pronation, so maybe a more structured shoe will help. I like the Pegasus, but find they go from 'hmm, I think I may need new shoes' to 'every muscle in my body aches' in about a week! I have only 350 miles on this pair and previous pairs were the same. I would expect to get closer to 500 before issues arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Not relevant to you really N but Mrs D recently changed to the same ones and finds them great - much stiffer than the Asics she's used to but better. She's looking to get a second pair of them so she doesn't keep making the mistake of running in worn shoes.

+1. I have the GTS12s and have been really happy with them, being an over pronator. Need a new pair now as it happens so must start sussing out deals.

Good luck with the shape throwing and the LSR tomw!

Actually I've recently received my fourth pair of Adrenaline GTS - three 12's and the newest ones are 13's. They've been good to me.

Actually I've recently received my fourth pair of Adrenaline GTS - three 12's and the newest ones are 13's. They've been good to me.

is there much of a difference between the 12s and 13s?

RedRunner wrote: »
    is there much of a difference between the 12s and 13s?

Have only worn the 13s once for a 5k so far so it's hard to say for sure. But it seems not, apart from the fact that they're brand new and feel like gloves compared to my older shoes which are getting pretty bet at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

This is some extended holiday you are having? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

blockic wrote: »

I'm looking forward to the details of high altitude training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Aw just logged in and thought ncmc was back...come back ncmc we miss you :D

Runchick wrote: »

Just realised we could have spent the last couple of weeks putting non sensical posts here to put a few extra pages for her to have to read through confused whilst recovering from jetlag! haha. maybe next time............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just realised we could have spent the last couple of weeks putting non sensical posts here to put a few extra pages for her to have to read through confused whilst recovering from jetlag! haha. maybe next time............

I like your thinking ;)

maybe next time............
    Sure it's probably only a couple of weeks till her next holiday so let's keep it in the back pocket for then...

blockic wrote: »
    Only two weeks (unfortunately :() I hurt my back the week before I went though, and I was only able to get out for one short run that week, so I decided not to bore you all with the details of that!
    Ok, time to fess up, I didn't even bring my trainers on holiday :o felt weird going away without them, but I figured between the altitude and animal risk early in the morning, It was unlikely I was going to get out running much, so I said i'd just skip the guilt and not even attempt to go running.

On the other hand, if you're interested in hearing the effects of altitude on alcohol consumption and overeating of fatty foods... I'm your woman! (Makes you feel drunk really quickly and affects your sleep FWIW)
    Runchick wrote: »

Aw thanks!
    Haha, mean! Actually, I have no jetlag at all, took a sleeping pill before the flight and slept most of it. Was a bit groggy yesterday, but i'm sorted today!
    Sure it's probably only a couple of weeks till her next holiday so let's keep it in the back pocket for then...
    No more holidays for me this year unfortunately :( although I am so depressed being back at work, I was tempted to take it as a sign when I got an Aer Lingus sale email and book something for over Christmas, but common sense prevailed :pac:

So the situation is, that I have three weeks with no running, am about 5kg overweight :eek:, and have spent the last two weeks overindulging in food, alcohol and cigarettes so it's safe to say i'm not exactly in the shape of my life :o.

I don't think Clonakilty is a realistic target for me any more, I don't think i'd be doing myself justice. So I think a more realistic approact would be to slowly build up the miles and shift the weight over the next couple of months and target a spring Marathon (not Limerick - I go on holiday that weekend :D) any other suggestions of a nice spring marathon I can aim for?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

ncmc wrote: »
    I don't think Clonakilty is a realistic target for me any more, I don't think i'd be doing myself justice. So I think a more realistic approact would be to slowly build up the miles and shift the weight over the next couple of months and target a spring Marathon (not Limerick - I go on holiday that weekend :D) any other suggestions of a nice spring marathon I can aim for?

Smart move! Realism all the way, getting back into it is going to be great craic. :p I don't know if there are any 'nice' domestic ones in the spring - they all seem to be fairly hilly. Tralee and Connamara come to mind. Or one of the Clonakilty back-to-back marathons maybe?

Nice to have you back ncmc!

Funny I was only thinking the other day that if I couldn't get ready for DCM in time then Clonakilty on Dec 7th could be an option for me. Forgot you were aiming for that one. If you dont think you are ready for that, what hope for me being ready for DCM. I'll have to read back through your log again but I thought you had a lot of good training behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

I wish I could call off my training ncmc, the dark evening runs have begun in earnest and I'm not looking forward to the dark and wet evenings ahead !
    To give yourself some motivation, why not take a look at some 10k races or even a half marathon in Dec.?
    It is hard to get yourself going again so maybe go for the 1/2m in Waterford on the 1st Dec ( reckon I'll be signing up for that one myself ) or the Clonakilty 1/2M rather than the full ?

Mr.W

RedRunner wrote: »
    Nice to have you back ncmc!

Funny I was only thinking the other day that if I couldn't get ready for DCM in time then Clonakilty on Dec 7th could be an option for me. Forgot you were aiming for that one. If you dont think you are ready for that, what hope for me being ready for DCM. I'll have to read back through your log again but I thought you had a lot of good training behind you.
    Nope, not me unfortunately! Training has just fallen off a cliff since CCM. Clon is apparently a nice marathon, but very hilly I believe, so probably a bit more difficult than DCM.
    mr.wiggle wrote: »
    I wish I could call off my training ncmc, the dark evening runs have begun in earnest and I'm not looking forward to the dark and wet evenings ahead !
    To give yourself some motivation, why not take a look at some 10k races or even a half marathon in Dec.?
    It is hard to get yourself going again so maybe go for the 1/2m in Waterford on the 1st Dec ( reckon I'll be signing up for that one myself ) or the Clonakilty 1/2M rather than the full ?

Mr.W
    I have stuggled massively with motivation since CCM to be honest. When I think back on the miles I put in late last year and early this year in the worst possible weather, it seems like it's just a different person! Have balked a bit at starting into another marathon training program, knowing what's in store! I think that's good advice about targeting a half, Waterford got good reports last year, so think I'd aim for that one (plus it's about half the cost of the Clon HM)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Welcome back ncmc, hope you enjoyed the holiday and put the Garmin money to good shopping use :D

Welcome back. Right! now that you've had time to unpack, what pressies did you bring us all back? :D And I'm not settling for bear spray. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Have balked a bit at starting into another marathon training program, knowing what's in store! I think that's good advice about targeting a half, Waterford got good reports last year, so think I'd aim for that one (plus it's about half the cost of the Clon HM)

Build it back up slowly...Waterford HM, Donadea 50k, Connemara Ultra, Portumna 100km and Belfast 24hr.
    Plan sorted!;)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Welcome back ncmc, hope you enjoyed the holiday and put the Garmin money to good shopping use :D
    I sure did, I am the proud owner of a new Guess bag, it's not much good at tracking speed or distance, but it's soooo pretty!
    Welcome back. Right! now that you've had time to unpack, what pressies did you bring us all back? :D And I'm not settling for bear spray. :P
    I brought cherry pie for all... unfortunately I ate it all myself, hence why I am waddling around like the michelin man in a ski suit :pac:

Didn't get to use the bear spray, I'll not lie, slightly disappointed.... I did see four bears though, three grizzlies and one black, but unfortunately not close enough to use the spray. I was going to charge at them, screaming Braveheart style, but I decided I was more likely to engulf myself in bear spray and earn myself a prime position in next years Darwin list :o
    belcarra wrote: »
    Build it back up slowly...Waterford HM, Donadea 50k, Connemara Ultra, Portumna 100km and Belfast 24hr.
    Plan sorted!;)
    I was waiting for you to come up with that suggestion! Sadly, that list was my plan up until my get up and go got up and went :( Welll, not the 100km or the 24 hour obviously.... I'm not totally crazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Didn't get to use the bear spray, I'll not lie, slightly disappointed.... I did see four bears though, three grizzlies and one black, but unfortunately not close enough to use the spray. I was going to charge at them, screaming Braveheart style, but I decided I was more likely to engulf myself in bear spray and earn myself a prime position in next years Darwin list :o
    I was waiting for you to come up with that suggestion! Sadly, that list was my plan up until my get up and go got up and went :( Welll, not the 100km or the 24 hour obviously.... I'm not totally crazy :D

So you are saying you were more likely to attack wild bears than run a few extra miles??
    I did see four bears though, three grizzlies and one black, but unfortunately not close enough to use the spray.
    Now, that just makes you sound like a real nutter!!

belcarra wrote: »
    So you are saying you were more likely to attack wild bears than run a few extra miles??

Now, that just makes you sound like a real nutter!!
    Well when you put it like that, it does sound a little deranged, but this bear spray was cool, I really wanted to see what it was like in action :o And yes, I would rather attack wild bears while simultaniously spraying bear spray directly in my face than run a 24 hour ultra :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Do your legs still work ncmc? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Beef wrote: »

:D

Beef wrote: »
    Smarty pants :o

I have been running, but I have a bit of a recurring problem with my knee, I had it before DCM last year, the physio said it was scar tissue. I'm ok if I take it handy and if I keep the run short, but if I run on it for more than an hour, it starts to ache. I've tried icing it and wearing a support, but the only thing that worked the last time was the physio using ultrasound on the area. To be honest, I can't really afford to go to they physio at the moment, so I am just contenting myself with short easy runs.

I haven't been logging those, cos lets be honest, that would get boring pretty quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

How's the knee now N? Any better or still the same?

Advertisement