Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

A bit of advice would be appreciated in how to juggle my plan around this week. P&D week 3 calls for:

Mon – Rest
    Tues – 10 miles general aerobic
    Wed - 4 miles recovery
    Thurs – 8 miles w 4 @ HMP
    Fri – Rest
    Sat – 14 miles LSR
    Sun – 4 miles recovery

But there is a 5 mile race I was keen to do on Sunday, so I was thinking of swapping the lactate threshold run on Thurs with 6 miles easy, and then do the race on Sunday with a mile warm up and cool down to make up the miles. But then I’d be racing the day after my LSR, should I just go ahead and race it flat out, or maybe just go and run it at HMP? After the difficult run on Saturday, I wouldn’t be very confident about the legs being fresh after Saturday’s LSR, although I would plan to do it at an easier pace and maybe on a flatter course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    A bit of advice would be appreciated in how to juggle my plan around this week. P&D week 3 calls for:

Mon – Rest
    Tues – 10 miles general aerobic
    Wed - 4 miles recovery
    Thurs – 8 miles w 4 @ HMP
    Fri – Rest
    Sat – 14 miles LSR
    Sun – 4 miles recovery

But there is a 5 mile race I was keen to do on Sunday, so I was thinking of swapping the lactate threshold run on Thurs with 6 miles easy, and then do the race on Sunday with a mile warm up and cool down to make up the miles. But then I’d be racing the day after my LSR, should I just go ahead and race it flat out, or maybe just go and run it at HMP? After the difficult run on Saturday, I wouldn’t be very confident about the legs being fresh after Saturday’s LSR, although I would plan to do it at an easier pace and maybe on a flatter course.

Would it be possible to do the LSR earlier in the week?

I'd just swap Thursdays session for the race and do the LSR on wednesday/thursday or Friday. Just do the 4 Mile recovery on Saturday instead of Sunday.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Would it be possible to do the LSR earlier in the week?

I'd just swap Thursdays session for the race and do the LSR on wednesday/thursday or Friday. Just do the 4 Mile recovery on Saturday instead of Sunday.

I was hoping no one would say that! Hate doing LSR's during the week, but I suppose it's the price of doing a tougher training plan. I could do it Wednesday, have a physio app on Thurs, so that would rule Thurs out. So my week would be as follows:

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 10 miles easy
    Wed - 14 miles LSR
    Thurs - 4 recovery
    Fri - rest
    Sat - 4 recovery
    Sun - 8 miles (2 miles warm up, 5 race, 1 cool down)

I was hoping no one would say that! Hate doing LSR's during the week, but I suppose it's the price of doing a tougher training plan. I could do it Wednesday, have a physio app on Thurs, so that would rule Thurs out. So my week would be as follows:

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 10 miles easy
    Wed - 14 miles LSR
    Thurs - 4 recovery
    Fri - rest
    Sat - 4 recovery
    Sun - 8 miles (2 miles warm up, 5 race, 1 cool down)

Looks OK, but 10 followed by 14 looks tough!! Ideally a rest or recovery day in between....

Looks OK, but 10 followed by 14 looks tough!! Ideally a rest or recovery day in between....
    Eugh, I was afraid you were going to say that too! I know it makes more sense to do 10 tonight... I was looking forward to a rest evening :(

This race is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Eugh, I was afraid you were going to say that too! I know it makes more sense to do 10 tonight... I was looking forward to a rest evening :(

Sure 10 is nothing these days now! Will be over before ya know it!!

Had a look at the course for Sunday. Expect a few hills!:) Some parts are nice though.

This race is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth :cool:

Friday is also an option?

blockic wrote: »
    Sure 10 is nothing these days now! Will be over before ya know it!!

Had a look at the course for Sunday. Expect a few hills!:) Some parts are nice though.
    I think you underestimate how lazy I actually am! ;) Hills? Cool, I actually rock on hills, all those miles on the uppy-downey N8 should pay off :D
    Friday is also an option?
    Now you're talking! Sure that's days away, will worry about that on Thursday :pac:

So..... that would leave me with....

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 10
    Wed - 4
    Thurs - Rest
    Fri - 14
    Sat - 4 recovery
    Sun - 8 with 5 @ race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I think you underestimate how lazy I actually am! ;) Hills? Cool, I actually rock on hills, all those miles on the uppy-downey N8 should pay off :D

Now you're talking! Sure that's days away, will worry about that on Thursday :pac:

So..... that would leave me with....

Mon - Rest
    Tues - 10
    Wed - 4
    Thurs - Rest
    Fri - 14
    Sat - 4 recovery
    Sun - 8 with 5 @ race pace.

Don't mind the other 2 machines, take Saturday off aswell ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Don't mind the other 2 machines, take Saturday off aswell ;)
    A man after my own heart :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

A man after my own heart :D

Just catching up on you having a log, and sounds like your totally up for it, Ballycotton & Cork, Mind yourself with P&D sounds tough but you're able. How's Libby? I've not been able to run for weeks and Jacob is getting fat, me too!

Thanks walkedit! Sorry to hear about your injury, you must be going crazy. Bet Jacob is glad not to be out running in this weather! Libby is great, still comes on most of my runs, though I drop her home after a couple if miles. Think P&D would definitely be too much for her! She still gives me that 'you're crazy mam' look when I drag her out in the rain though!

Happy Valentines Day beautiful people! Hope your loved ones are spoiling you today (or you’re spoiling yourself!) I am looking forward to spending my Valentines evening getting a rub down from a strange man….. yes my physio appointment is this evening :pac: While looking forward isn’t normally a term I’d use for this particular brand of torture, my legs are like a couple of banjo strings they are so tight, so looking forward to the results. My hamstrings and calves are in bits and it’s moving down to my knees, shins and ankles. The perils of not having a proper stretching and rolling routine in place… don’t do it kids! :o

So nothing to report this week so far, 4 miles easy on Tuesday, 10 miles easy last night, both at a pace of approx 9 mins. Both runs fairly boring, got drenched both evenings. What can I say, the weather gods hate me.

Rest evening tonight and then 14 lsr tomorrow so I can do this race on Sunday. If I were a betting woman, I would bet that it will be a dull run and that it will be raining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Nothing quite like a deep tissue massage on your ITB and looking at the top of your knee move 'by itself'. You've reminded me I need to book in myself before the big miles start.

My physio is a sadist! That was really, really, really, really sore! But it's my own fault for leaving it so long. My muscles were very tight. I'm due to do 14 miles tomorrow, 4 on Saturday and my race on Sunday, but my physio says I should take it handy for a couple of days while my muscles recover from the deep tissue massage... But I'm probably going to ignore that!

My physio is a sadist! That was really, really, really, really sore! But it's my own fault for leaving it so long. My muscles were very tight. I'm due to do 14 miles tomorrow, 4 on Saturday and my race on Sunday, but my physio says I should take it handy for a couple of days while my muscles recover from the deep tissue massage... But I'm probably going to ignore that!

Definitely don't run tomorrow

Edit* this could be a case of the boy who cried wolf!! But I'm serious, you should skip tomorrow and possibly Saturday aswell following a deep tissue message, particularly if you're muscles were so tight and knotty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I was at my guy as well tonight ncmc, first time since the week before DCM! Ouch!!:eek: My glutes have improved alot though he was pretty suprised!

I told him I had miles to do tomorrow and Saturday. He said to take it handy pace tomorrow but it was ok to run.

See how you feel tomorrow but if you do go out just take it sloow!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Definitely don't run tomorrow

Edit* this could be a case of the boy who cried wolf!! But I'm serious, you should skip tomorrow and possibly Saturday aswell following a deep tissue message, particularly if you're muscles were so tight and knotty
    blockic wrote: »
    I was at my guy as well tonight ncmc, first time since the week before DCM! Ouch!!:eek: My glutes have improved alot though he was pretty suprised!

I told him I had miles to do tomorrow and Saturday. He said to take it handy pace tomorrow but it was ok to run.

See how you feel tomorrow but if you do go out just take it sloow!!
    Thanks guys, the muscles feel pretty tender today and I have a massive bruise on my right calf and left hamstring where he really had to knuckle in (although it should be noted that I bruise like an over ripe peach :pac:)

Don’t know what to do about finishing out the week now, I have 26 miles to do before Sunday including the 5 mile race :eek:. I don’t think it’s a good idea to do my LSR as planned tonight so I think I will just do an easy 4 miles tonight, do my 14 mile LSR in the morning at a slightly easier pace than normal and then do 8 on Sunday (2 miles warm up, 5 race, and 1 cool down)

I know it’s not ideal to do a speed session the day after a LSR, so I think I will do the race at HMP rather than 5 mile pace (this is what P&D calls for this week and I’m not too bothered about shorter races anyway – I’m really only doing this one to add a bit of variety!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You could flow a few extra miles into early next week as opposed to shoehorning them into this weekend. Ultimately however, missing a couple of miles the odd time is part of the ebb and flow of training schedules, don't be too hard on yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'd say let the legs recover! A few recovery miles maybe at most. Just my opinion as I've made this mistake before! It's early in the training and a day or two missed wont matter, sounds like you had a good physio session ouch

• Advertisement

Haven't updated my log in a couple of days.

Friday: 4 miles @ 9:22. Legs were very tired after physio so took it handy on this run. Didn't head out til 10pm which is late even by my standards! Libby had been relaxing on the couch and flat out refused to come with me... Lazy mare :)

Saturday: 14 miles @ 9:11. Pretty good run I have to say compared to my lsr last week. Then again, it was a good deal slower. I am finding that I don't have a problem with distance, but I'm really struggling to increase my pace. I don't know how to rectify that. Nothing to report except I slipped in some mud @ mile 4 and grazed my knee and my hand :( Thought I felt my hamstring pull, but kept going and it seemed to be ok. Phew, just shows how easy it is to hurt yourself.

Sunday: ?? Miles @ ??? Pace....

Well they say bad things happen in 3's, had the 5 mile race in Carrigaline today, wasn't really feeling it after yesterday's lsr, but I'd agreed to meet a guy from work there so didn't want to let him down. Headed off for a 2 mile warm up with Libby and whatdyaknow, Garmin wouldn't turn on, not a peep out of it. It's deffo charged, so don't know what's wrong with it. So I set off un-deterred, realised half way that my car key had fallen out of my pocket... Had to retrace my steps and thankfully found it.

So Libby deposited back in the car, and off I go to the race. It was tough going I have to say, very very hilly and really was missing my Garmin. Haven't a clue what my time was, but I think it was slow, I'd reckon about 40 mins. I'm not overly surprised as the legs were tired. Crossed the finished line, stopped for some water, went to walk to my car and bang... My knee gave out. Have no idea what happened but I just couldn't stretch it out. I hobbled back to my car and forced myself to keep walking. Thanfully I was able to walk it off, but didn't risk a cool down jog.

So between my key, watch and knee, it was an accident prone sort of day! Enjoyed the race though, and enjoyed the change of scenery.

Will report back when results are posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Sound like a day to forget :(

Sound like a day to forget :(

I was thinking of you and the three things breaking! Bad luck definitely happens in 3's! Ah well, alls well that ends well, if I can just get my Garmin working I'll be laughing and worse case scenario it's still in the year warranty so hopefully I'll get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I was thinking of you and the three things breaking! Bad luck definitely happens in 3's! Ah well, alls well that ends well, if I can just get my Garmin working I'll be laughing and worse case scenario it's still in the year warranty so hopefully I'll get it sorted.

N my Garmin sometimes locks up like that - to reset I put it on its charger base, with power on, and press the back and reset buttons together for 10s. Then release and it should show charging.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    N my Garmin sometimes locks up like that - to reset I put it on its charger base, with power on, and press the back and reset buttons together for 10s. Then release and it should show charging.

That worked! You're a star bar! Will leave it on charge for a while before I try turning it on. Thanks C, is there anything you can't do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That worked! You're a star bar! Will leave it on charge for a while before I try turning it on. Thanks C, is there anything you can't do :)

:D Getting up off the bed just now was looking like one of them! That trick has saved me numerous times when I was convinced that my Garmin had bitten the dust.

Dilbert 'star pacer, Garmin fixer extraordinaire' to the rescue! It's working, turning on perfectly :) it's scary how much I rely on it, was in a panic trying to think what I'd do if I had to send it off for repair. Thanks again!

Results are in, according to the website, I did the 5 miles in 39:09 :( but it wasn't chipped and taking into account crossing the start line and waiting in the chute at the end, I'd say it was about 38:30. Not great, but I knew it wasn't going to be fast after the lsr yesterday.

Really, really need to work on my speed me thinks!

Results are in, according to the website, I did the 5 miles in 39:09 :( but it wasn't chipped and taking into account crossing the start line and waiting in the chute at the end, I'd say it was about 38:30. Not great, but I knew it wasn't going to be fast after the lsr yesterday.

One word for you: Fartlek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Its a great result considering the mileage beforehand. Short races are a different kettle of fish, I've learned. Its early in the year and we are all at a different stage now. We are not completing races any more, we are striving to improve. And we've started putting little pressures on ourselves.

The evenings are getting brighter, the miles are going up and your training plan will pay dividends. Its not the the individual parts that counts but the sum of them.

Hope that knee settles down.

Advertisement