Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I wouldn't be too disappointed, it's off the back of some hard sessions, physio assault and a rather crazy pre-race prep. Your LT sessions alone suggest a much quicker time: I think this was just circumstance rather than any lack of speed. Keep up the great work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I echo all said above ncmc, It was a tough course and you had no Garmin. Not having the watch would put me out of synch straight away anyway.

Scriba is dead right, your training times show you have a better time in there with ease. All you need to do now is put it straight in the next one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks guys. Tbh, I wasn't really pushing today, I didn't feel like throwing up or anything! I know I have a faster time in there. It's crazy how lost I felt without the watch.

Right, Ballycotton in 2 weeks, no messing about, going to give it socks and hopefully (and excuse the X Factor parlance) smash it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    It's crazy how lost I felt without the watch.

I'm literally useless without mine - I'd be like a firework: shoot off at tremendous pace, all show, and then blow up in a shower of sparks after 20 seconds.
    Right, Ballycotton in 2 weeks, no messing about, going to give it socks and hopefully (and excuse the X Factor parlance) smash it :)
    You're gonna own that stage gurl...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Dilbert75 wrote: »

You're gonna own that stage gurl...:P

+1 you'll be rocking its little Bally cotton socks off!

• Advertisement

Haven’t updated in a couple of days, took Monday and Tuesday off (which I’m regretting now with 5 days straight running!)

Wednesday – 8.5 miles @ 8:52 with 10x100 strides

Thursday – 4 miles @ 9:33

Really enjoyed Wednesdays run, was still bright when I headed out and it really made a difference, even though it got dark after 2/3 miles, it really made a difference to my mood on the overall run. Plus, I love running strides now! Really shakes up an otherwise boring run!

Quick question though, I have 10 miles planned for tonight, P&D doesn’t call for a speed session this week, but there is one next week which I will forgo for Ballycotton 10 next Sunday. Just wondering if I should add in a few miles at HMP tonight, it will be my last chance before Ballycotton. However my knee is still a bit sore, it’s fine at slower pace, but I really noticed it during Wednesdays strides.

On one hand, I feel woefully unprepared for Ballycotton, but on the other hand, I don’t want to aggravate my knee! What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Quick question though, I have 10 miles planned for tonight, P&D doesn’t call for a speed session this week, but there is one next week which I will forgo for Ballycotton 10 next Sunday. Just wondering if I should add in a few miles at HMP tonight, it will be my last chance before Ballycotton. However my knee is still a bit sore, it’s fine at slower pace, but I really noticed it during Wednesdays strides.

On one hand, I feel woefully unprepared for Ballycotton, but on the other hand, I don’t want to aggravate my knee! What do you guys think?
    I would err on the side of caution and just run easy. Your goal is Cork and you would be raging if you got injured now

10 miles @ 8:51 with 10x100 m strides

As advised, didn't do any miles at hmp, at this stage I don't think one speed session is going to make a difference to my race performance, but exacerbating my knee would.

Knee felt pretty good, a bit sore at first but warmed up nicely and wasn't sore on the strides.

Busy weekend in the ncmc household. Had the fun task of painting the living room yesterday which took most of the day. Managed to squeeze in a recovery run of 4 miles @ 9:52.

Was just about to set off on my lsr this morning when Mr ncmc said we'd drive somewhere so I could run somewhere new and he'd walk the dog/read the paper/enjoy the sun while I plodded around for two and a half hours! Went to the park in Ballincollig which is a lovely spot for a run, although it's a bit short so I had to do a few loops, run through the town etc.

It was an absolutely smashing day for a run, cool but sun splitting the stones. Was a bit of a slow poke today 15 miles done at 9:26 pace. Not sure why I was slow really, the first couple of miles were slow because I was running on a trail which was a bit rough, but overall I was just enjoying taking it handy and not pushing too much. Would have liked a gel at one point, think it's time to start introducing those gooey delights again!

Speaking of gooey delights, had a yummy brownie and cappuccino sitting out in the sun when I finished... Heaven!

Also bought a new running belt, it died t have a water bottle and has far more space for gels/phone/keys etc, so perfect for races. €5 in Heatons.... Result!

Is it sad that I got excited over that purchase the way I used to get excited over a particularly nice pair of shoes or handbag!!!

42 miles for the week, 246 ytd. Legs feel pretty good and knee not giving any problems so I'm a happy camper!

Great stuff. It was a savage day for it here down south alright!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

blockic wrote: »
    Great stuff. It was a savage day for it here down south alright!!

Not too bad here on the East Coast either in the Metropolis!:)

Good running ncmc, sounds like a lovely run, especially the brownie bit at the end;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

great stuff. nice mileage too. cork will be a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

well done,it really was an ideal morning for running.The weekly mileage is increasing nicely,roll on Cork.

Monday - 5 miles @ 9:50

Tuesday - 9 miles @ 8:49

For the first time I'm really beginning to see the payoff of the P&D plan, today is my 7th day straight running, I have never done that before and wouldn't have dreamed of doing it on the Hal Higdon plan. And the thing is, my legs don't even feel tired, I didn't feel one bit stiff or sore after my lsr on Sunday. The increase in my stamina over the last few weeks is remarkable. I don't know if it'll make me faster (especially since I keep finding excuses to skip the speed sessions!) but the plan is definitely making me stronger.

That said, looking forward to a rest day tomorrow :)

For the first time I'm really beginning to see the payoff of the P&D plan, today is my 7th day straight running, I have never done that before and wouldn't have dreamed of doing it on the Hal Higdon plan. And the thing is, my legs don't even feel tired, I didn't feel one bit stiff or sore after my lsr on Sunday. The increase in my stamina over the last few weeks is remarkable. I don't know if it'll make me faster (especially since I keep finding excuses to skip the speed sessions!) but the plan is definitely making me stronger.

No wonder Gavlor thanked that post!! :p

I see what you mean about getting stronger. my legs nearly felt better after 11 days straight running that they do now after 2 days off!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

No wonder Gavlor thanked that post!! :p

I see what you mean about getting stronger. my legs nearly felt better after 11 days straight running that they do now after 2 days off!!:rolleyes:

I get a bad press!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I was just thinking the same on my run this eve! Nice feeling. The work is paying off! We can leave the speed to the others:)

Decided to do my 16 mile lsr this evening to free up my weekend for Ballycotton. I know I could have added a few miles on either end of Sundays run, but I know I won't fancy it when the time comes around so decided to get it out of the way.

Was a dreading it a bit after a days work but had planned to do it in Cork City so I could get started earlier and avail of some brightness. Parked up at the top of Centre Park Rd and ran down there, past Parc Ui Caoimh, Blackrock Castle and on to Jacobs Island. Had to turn back at that stage as I was losing light, but that's a lovely run along the river and flat as a pancake. Think it's part of the marathon course but I could be wrong.

Retraced my steps and ran through town, out Western Rd, in by the Mercy hospital, across the river, down the quays, up McCurtain st, round by the train station and in by the docks. Back to my car, coincidentally exactly 16 miles done, averaged 9:15 (lost some time at pesky lights!) Took a gel at 10 miles, my first since DCM. Probably wouldn't have bothered only I was conscious that I hadn't eaten since lunch.

Really enjoyed the run, felt very strong and not at all tired throughout. Was nice running somewhere new and having shop windows to look in, none of that in my tiny village!

Getting new trainers tomorrow, very excited! Will probably take them on a short recovery run to test them out.

Oh, forgot to add. 163 miles in Feb, think that's my highest mileage month to date. 276 for the year so far.

Parked up at the top of Centre Park Rd and ran down there, past Parc Ui Caoimh, Blackrock Castle and on to Jacobs Island. Had to turn back at that stage as I was losing light, but that's a lovely run along the river and flat as a pancake. Think it's part of the marathon course but I could be wrong.

Yup, it's part of the Mara alright, I've only done it once a few weeks back but it is a lovely run. I'd say an early morning run there would make for lovely views with the sunrise. (But that ain't gonna happen! :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Yup, it's part of the Mara alright, I've only done it once a few weeks back but it is a lovely run. I'd say an early morning run there would make for lovely views with the sunrise. (But that ain't gonna happen! :rolleyes:)
    :pac: The only way in hell I'll ever be in that area for sunrise is if I'm on a night out in The Sextant and get a lock in! :D

It must be a very narrow part of the marathon, I nearly got creeled by a couple of cyclists as it was. I'd imagine you could get involved in a bit of a bottle neck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

:pac: The only way in hell I'll ever be in that area for sunrise is if I'm on a night out in The Sextant and get a lock in! :D

It must be a very narrow part of the marathon, I nearly got creeled by a couple of cyclists as it was. I'd imagine you could get involved in a bit of a bottle neck there.

It's around the 13 mile mark if I remember correctly so it has thinned out by then. If you continued your run you would have hit the old railway line leading from the Southern suburbs into the Marina again. The full loop is a lovely run.

belcarra wrote: »
    It's around the 13 mile mark if I remember correctly so it has thinned out by then. If you continued your run you would have hit the old railway line leading from the Southern suburbs into the Marina again. The full loop is a lovely run.
    Thanks for that link Belcarra, I was tempted to carry on, but I was losing light and didn't want to end up in unfamiliar ground in the dark. That's the one drawback of that route, there's no lights at all once you come off Centre Park Road, but it's definitely a route i'll be doing as the evenings lengthen.

Got my new trainers, after 3 pairs of Nike I decided to try something new, so went for Mizuno Wave Riders (in hot pink for those interested!) I love them! They are so light and comfy, can't wait to try them out tomorrow. Would it be very silly to wear them for Ballycotton on Sunday?

Got my new trainers, after 3 pairs of Nike I decided to try something new, so went for Mizuno Wave Riders (in hot pink for those interested!) I love them! They are so light and comfy, can't wait to try them out tomorrow. Would it be very silly to wear them for Ballycotton on Sunday?

Why risk it?? It's a race not a fashion show ;)

Gavlor wrote: »
    Why risk it?? It's a race not a fashion show ;)

Boo! I knew someone would say that! My toe is literally poking out the top of my Nike! They look like something Steptoe would wear :(

You're right I suppose, better not to risk it *sulks*

Boo! I knew someone would say that! My toe is literally poking out the top of my Nike! They look like something Steptoe would wear :(

You're right I suppose, better not to risk it *sulks*

Go all jack duckworth and put a plaster on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

+1 with Gavlor on this.I got a new pair as well this morning(stuck with my trusty Nikes though:-P) & while the temptation is there to wear the new ones as they feel so comfy they are just not broken in.
    I read somewhere in the past that you should ideally have 75 miles or so on a pair of runners before you race in them ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

On the flip side I ran DCM in a set of runners with no more than 30 miles on them and they were grand. That said, they were the same model as my previous ones so it wasn't a change.

• Advertisement

Would it be very silly to wear them for Ballycotton on Sunday?

Big no no from me!! Stick to the tried and tested for any races.

Advertisement