Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

ncmc wrote: »
    Got my new trainers, after 3 pairs of Nike I decided to try something new, so went for Mizuno Wave Riders (in hot pink for those interested!) I love them! They are so light and comfy, can't wait to try them out tomorrow. Would it be very silly to wear them for Ballycotton on Sunday?

Well, i had the same scenario for Dublin half and only had one opportunity to train in them beforehand. I said it to the guy in AK who was selling them to me and he said shoes are not like years ago were you need to break them in, try them for the training run and if you've no bother then wear them for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Haha - I too was taking the advice of the guy in AK when I wore my new ones for DCM. A few around here recommended it too, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Haha - I too was taking the advice of the guy in AK when I wore my new ones for DCM. A few around here recommended it too, iirc.

My shoes were totally different. i had been wearing neutral shoes from nike and was over pronating badly. i changed to saucony omni 11. Nice cushioning in both types of shoe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

5 miles done this morning including a 5k race. I wasn't going to push on on the race and just treat it as a recovery run but pride got the better of me when walkers were practically overtaking me so I pushed on a little bit for two miles. Nice day for a run and nice to shake things up a bit and run with other people. Lovey new trainers, they were so light and comfy. I think I'm going to wear them tomorrow, what's the worst that can happen!

Going to be a long day tomorrow, race not til 1:30 and you have to be in Ballycotton by 11-11:30 so not sure what I'm going to do in Ballycotton for two and a half hours! Should be an enjoyable race though and weather holding up so it's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

5 miles done this morning including a 5k race. I wasn't going to push on on the race and just treat it as a recovery run but pride got the better of me when walkers were practically overtaking me so I pushed on a little bit for two miles. Nice day for a run and nice to shake things up a bit and run with other people. Lovey new trainers, they were so light and comfy. I think I'm going to wear them tomorrow, what's the worst that can happen!

Going to be a long day tomorrow, race not til 1:30 and you have to be in Ballycotton by 11-11:30 so not sure what I'm going to do in Ballycotton for two and a half hours! Should be an enjoyable race though and weather holding up so it's all good!

Best of luck for tomorrow. What's the target??

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »

Best of luck for tomorrow. What's the target??

I know! To have the pinkest runners on the start line...:D

Lol, they are super pink alright! Target, eh I'm not sure, a month back I would have said 75, but I haven't done a lot of speed work so thought that was a bit optimistic and thought 80 might be more realistic. But now I think I might be just making excuses and not pushing myself, so tl:dr somewhere between 75-80, hopefully closer to 75!

Bet you're sorry you asked!

N up to Dungarvan I was following Meno's plan, same as most of us I think. So that being equal, 75 shouldn't be beyond you by any means.

Yeah except I wasn't following Meno's plan when it came to the speed work! Always managed to find an excuse! But I have done a couple of shorter races which I tend to forget about so I'll just push on and do my best! As I said earlier in the week, I definitely feel stronger since I started following P&D so hopefully that'll stand for me :)

No bother to ya! But if you don't aim for 75 you won't get it.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    No bother to ya! But if you don't aim for 75 you won't get it.

Exactly!! Aim for 74 and all those miles will pay off.... Remember in your mind that it's ONLY 10 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

You'll hit that 75 I'm sure.. Your recent mileage has to stand to you. Get the pink trainers on! Best of luck

So???????:confused:

A great day for racing today but brrr was it cold in Ballycotton! I followed the advice of being down there by 11 and it was far too early, people were still getting into the carpark at 12:30. Walked down to the start line and met Doc Jewel in his boards t shirt, nice to meet another Boardsie, that doubles the boardsies I've met to two!

It was very crammed at the start line, I've never felt so boxed in at the start of a race. The way Ballycotton is routed, you go 3 miles, do a 4 mile loop and then come back in the same 3 miles. The first mile and a half was very down hill, but the crowd was too dense to take advantage of it, I knew it was going to lead to a very steep finish. First mile was 7:51 so knew I would struggle to hit 75 mins. Next few miles were 7:35-7:40. Water at 3 miles in a plastic cup, managed to fling it all over my face! Walked through the station at 7 miles and managed to get water into my mouth! Found the first 7-8 miles fine, but I knew the last 2 would be very tricky and they were. Had to really dig in deep and slowed despite my best efforts. The last mile felt very long. Time according to my watch, 77:30 so somewhere between my best and worst case scenario! Official results are from the gun time rather than when you crossed the line which is a pity, cos it took me a while to cross the line.

Pleased enough with my time, I have no doubt I could do a sub 75 on a slightly flatter course. Great day all in all despite being a long one! Great to meet Doc Jewel, he was a minute or two faster than me, think he found the last couple of miles tough too, although being the crazy mileage junkie that he is, he had done a three mile warm up! It was a great race, very well organised and delighted with the souvenir mug at the finish!

Well done N - that must be your longest race in a good while, was it? Great warmer-upper and a nice confidence-booster for your Cork challenge.

Great stuff!! New runners or the old ones??

Thanks C! Yes longest race for me since DCM, I've only done one 4 mile and one 5 mile race, so it was great to get a good long race in. I prefer longer distances tbh. Next up, Great Island 10 on April 21st. I'm gonna kick the ass of that 75 min target!

Great stuff!! New runners or the old ones??

New! And they were perfect! Plus if I had a really bad run, I had the perfect excuse :€

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Great stuff ncmc. Nicely raced. That's a wonderful marker for cork. 3:30 all the way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done N. Thats a great time considering you missed all the speed sessions in Meno's plan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Well done ncmc. Amazing runnning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Good to meet up with you today,well done on a super run,those new runners did you no harm at all,you looked as if could have run another few miles after no bother at all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Well done ncmc, that race will do you the world of good as it has been so long since you done a big one! All roads to Cork! Will hopefully meet you at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good run! That boxed in feeling is very restricting and will upset your times and focus. Plus the hills. Shame about taking time from the gun too. Well done and we'll do a great job in ccm.

I've been so busy commenting on everyone elses log, I forgot to update my own this week!

So a well timed step back week on P&D for me this week. Legs felt tired all week for some reason. My knee was a bit twingy during the strides on Wednesday.

Monday - 5.2 miles @ 9:49 Legs were definitely tired, had no difficulty slowing down!

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - 8 miles @ 9:04 with 10x100 strides. Knee felt a bit sore during the strides and I wasn't even going particularly fast! Pretty uncomfortable run all in all, very wet and windy.

Thursday - 8 miles @ 9:08. Got absolutely drenched during this run. I felt like i'd jumped in a pool fully clothed. Libby the lazy mare flat out refused to come out with me and retreated to the couch! I was very tempted to join her! Serious HTFU required to go out in that weather.

Friday - 4 miles @ 10:00. As you are all aware, I am not a fan of this morning running malarky, but I am away for the weekend and didn't want to have to run both days, so this was the only option. Running at 6am in the rain :mad: That is all I have to say about that! Plus I always find I am mega slow before my breakfast, I didn't mean to do this run so slow at all! Conversely, Libby quite likes morning runs, so I may farm her out to Career Move in future and the two mad eegits can do their crazy morning runs while I stay in my nice warm leaba!

So just have a 12 mile LSR to finish out the weekend, it could be Sunday evening before I get that done. I was looking forward to having a few drinks and letting my hair down over the weekend, but after looking what P&D has in store for me next week, I think i'll be taking it handy. 50 miles next week incl a 10 mile mid week run with 5 @ HMP, an 11 mile midweek run and an 18 mile LSR are just some of the treats I have in store for me.... This sh1t is getting serious :o

I've been so busy commenting on everyone elses log, I forgot to update my own this week!

So a well timed step back week on P&D for me this week. Legs felt tired all week for some reason. My knee was a bit twingy during the strides on Wednesday.

Monday - 5.2 miles @ 9:49 Legs were definitely tired, had no difficulty slowing down!

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - 8 miles @ 9:04 with 10x100 strides. Knee felt a bit sore during the strides and I wasn't even going particularly fast! Pretty uncomfortable run all in all, very wet and windy.

Thursday - 8 miles @ 9:08. Got absolutely drenched during this run. I felt like i'd jumped in a pool fully clothed. Libby the lazy mare flat out refused to come out with me and retreated to the couch! I was very tempted to join her! Serious HTFU required to go out in that weather.

Friday - 4 miles @ 10:00. As you are all aware, I am not a fan of this morning running malarky, but I am away for the weekend and didn't want to have to run both days, so this was the only option. Running at 6am in the rain :mad: That is all I have to say about that! Plus I always find I am mega slow before my breakfast, I didn't mean to do this run so slow at all! Conversely, Libby quite likes morning runs, so I may farm her out to Career Move in future and the two mad eegits can do their crazy morning runs while I stay in my nice warm leaba!

So just have a 12 mile LSR to finish out the weekend, it could be Sunday evening before I get that done. I was looking forward to having a few drinks and letting my hair down over the weekend, but after looking what P&D has in store for me next week, I think i'll be taking it handy. 50 miles next week incl a 10 mile mid week run with 5 @ HMP, an 11 mile midweek run and an 18 mile LSR are just some of the treats I have in store for me.... This sh1t is getting serious :o

37.2 miles is a step back week?? That's just ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Get with the times oul fella! ;)...37 miles is nothing now for the P&D crew!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Haha the dog bit made me laugh. Mine refuses to come with me anymore - he'll chase tractors all day but when he sees me heading out for a run he slinks off back to the haybarn :D

I think it was no harm to do your run slowly this morning. I just highlighted the few things were you said you felt tired or a bit sore because I think it's important not to get too carried away by doing x number of miles at such and such a pace

Have a good weekend and enjoy the break....looks like you'll be hard at it next week ;)

Well if I was as fast as you, I wouldn't have to do all these miles :cool:
    Haha the dog bit made me laugh. Mine refuses to come with me anymore - he'll chase tractors all day but when he sees me heading out for a run he slinks off back to the haybarn :D

I think it was no harm to do your run slowly this morning. I just highlighted the few things were you said you felt tired or a bit sore because I think it's important not to get too carried away by doing x number of miles at such and such a pace

Have a good weekend and enjoy the break....looks like you'll be hard at it next week ;)
    Libby is gas, she just tries to make herself as small as possible and slinks back to the couch, I'm like 'hello! I can see you!' To be fair, she had a good point last night, was not a night to be outside!

The legs are much better now, they were definitely tired at the start of the week, but I suppose that's to be expected after a race. Yeah, next week is going to be fun alright... and the following week is 55 miles :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Well if I was as fast as you, I wouldn't have to do all these miles :cool:

Libby is gas, she just tries to make herself as small as possible and slinks back to the couch, I'm like 'hello! I can see you!' To be fair, she had a good point last night, was not a night to be outside!

The legs are much better now, they were definitely tired at the start of the week, but I suppose that's to be expected after a race. Yeah, next week is going to be fun alright... and the following week is 55 miles :eek::eek::eek:

All my comments/theories get dismissed cos of my wonderful natural ability :(

that has to be some form of discrimination!!

Advertisement