Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What??? You're running ANOTHER marathon!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Am I the only one wondering why being cold and wanting to get home made you run less quickly?:P

My last mile was by far my fastest ;)

I meant I could have done an extra mile or so as I was feeling fresh, but that cappuccino and muffin was calling to me :)

Monday – Rest

Tuesday – 6m @ 9:04

Wednesday – 14m @ 9:09

Felt like I’d been steam rolled after Wednesday’s run. Not sure if I was still tired after the 20m LSR on Sunday or what, but everything that could go wrong did go wrong! Blister the size of an orange, sore toes from the weird way I was running to try and protect the blister, tummy cramps, toilet stop, severe cold, dehydration and then to cap it all, at mile 13 I got the most ferocious stitch I have ever had! To be honest, I have never really had a stitch, so the pain had me doubled over. I came in the front door clutching my side and semi moaning in agony – my husband thought I’d been stabbed :D

Ah well, got it finished in pretty much one piece. I’m a great believer that it’s the tough runs that you finished when it was so tempting to go home that stand to you come marathon time…. That’s what I’m telling myself anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ncmc wrote: »

Ah well, got it finished in pretty much one piece. I’m a great believer that it’s the tough runs that you finished when it was so tempting to go home that stand to you come marathon time…. That’s what I’m telling myself anyway ;)

If it was easy then everyone would do it ;)

Fair play to you for finishing the run from hell!

If you get a stitch in future just dig you fingers into your side and give it a rub (this is the third time i've changed that sentence to try make it sound clean!!)

Tho accompanied with the stomach cramps your stitch was probably more than a simple stitch

Gavlor wrote: »
    If it was easy then everyone would do it ;)

Fair play to you for finishing the run from hell!

If you get a stitch in future just dig you fingers into your side and give it a rub (this is the third time i've changed that sentence to try make it sound clean!!)

Tho accompanied with the stomach cramps your stitch was probably more than a simple stitch
    I for one would like to see the first two attempts ;)

I honestly have never had a stitch before (maybe a very mild one if i've eaten too close to the run) so this really suprised me. If it happened during a race it would be game over, I was barely able to hobble home. Hopefully it was just a once off, I shall try your remedy if it happens again :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I for one would like to see the first two attempts ;)

I honestly have never had a stitch before (maybe a very mild one if i've eaten too close to the run) so this really suprised me. If it happened during a race it would be game over, I was barely able to hobble home. Hopefully it was just a once off, I shall try your remedy if it happens again :o

Hhmmm it's definitely NSFW!

• Advertisement

Thursday - 5 miles @ 9:43

Friday - rest

Saturday - 5 miles @ 9:19

Sunday - 15 miles @ 8:12

Regretfully put my lsr off until today and instantly regretted it the minute I looked out the window. Torrential rain and wind down here today. Still, I'm not one to let a bit of weather stop me (ahem Blockic!) so I drove up to Cork to do my pmp miles on a nice flat route. Plan was 2m w/u 12m pmp 2m c/d.

I realised that the route down by the marina wasn't going to be a goer. The wind was unreal and it was like being pushed backwards. So I ran through the city, out Western and Carrigrohane Rd. it's all part of the marathon route and nice and flat. I found the pmp miles ok, there were a couple if slow miles when I was running into the wind and rain but in better weather I would have had no issues. The hmp runs really make the pmp runs easier.

Pmp miles were 7:54, 7:57, 7:55, 7:44, 7:54, 7;48, 7:54, 8:12, 8:09, 8:24, 8:01, 8:04. Those 8:xx miles are a bit disappointing, but at that stage I couldn't feel my arms or legs, the weather was just that bad! Called it quits after 1 mile cool down. Just too cold to do the final mile.

Had to drive home in wet clothes, so feel like I got a real chill. Nice cuppa and some Easter eggs seem to be doing the trick!

Week total - 45m YTD 457m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I looked out the window. Torrential rain and wind down here today. Still, I'm not one to let a bit of weather stop me (ahem Blockic!) so I drove up to Cork to do my pmp miles on a nice flat route.

Haha, Loving this guilt trip! I better get up of my ass and get out so!! Super running in that crap outside!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good job! Sounds rough down there, lovely day here!
    Should give u great condfidence. Enjoy the chocolate!

Thanks Stephen, I'll not lie, you were a motivator out there for me today. I was so close to bailing at the 4 mile mark when I was drenched and frozen and I thought of your great session yday and said, I'll be damned if I let that Stephen Rooney fella show me up!

LOL, it's days like this that I truly appreciate the Boards log, where else would total strangers be a major motivation!

Thanks Stephen, I'll not lie, you were a motivator out there for me today. I was so close to bailing at the 4 mile mark when I was drenched and frozen and I thought of your great session yday and said, I'll be damned if I let that Stephen Rooney fella show me up!

LOL, it's days like this that I truly appreciate the Boards log, where else would total strangers be a major motivation!

That's gas! I do be the same reading your log on other days.
    It's a great motivator!
    Looks like we will be close in cork and that can only help us push ourselves
    I'm sure you are delighted now that you did it and hit your times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Jaysus ncmc Im looking at your work rate for cork and Im gonna be off the pace i reckon.

Really solid stuff. It will really stand to you. Anyone can run when the going is good. Its when the going is tough that the real work is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

^^^^+1 ,wasn't an easy day for a session like that & you made it sound so easy :-D

If your not careful you'll be dragging the rest of us around Cork :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, super LSR at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done, super LSR at the weekend!

+1 impressive much runs u is doing, I'm sure you'll go well in Wx and Corkn

So have been a bit of a lazy bones since Sunday's run. Took Monday as a rest day and was supposed to go out for 8 miles last night, but didn't for a few reasons (most of them being related to me being a lazy so and so). Regretted it when the alarm went off at 6am this morning...

Wednesday AM - 5 miles @ 8.49

Are you aware that it is still dark at 6am???? DARK! And I still have my VO2 max to look forward to this evening... Boo-urns I say :mad:

On an unrelated topic... guess who got a haircut...
    522428_10200479572724635_661604036_n.jpg

It was like the start of Full Metal Jacket with all the hair that came off her! So she is now more aerodynamic for running... she's still a lazy mare though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

It's hard to keep it going consistently for so long. I'm struggling just a wee bit with motivation for the last week or so. Then I got a niggle and I realise that it's a privilige to be able to head out running and I was taking it for granted - especially now that the weather seems to have picked up. We should be enjoying every second ;):p

Beef wrote: »
    It's hard to keep it going consistently for so long. I'm struggling just a wee bit with motivation for the last week or so. Then I got a niggle and I realise that it's a privilige to be able to head out running and I was taking it for granted - especially now that the weather seems to have picked up. We should be enjoying every second ;):p
    I'm funny, some days I'm all motivated and have no problem going out. Last night, I was actually IN my running gear and just couldn't face it :o

I don't mind too much, this is a low mileage week, so I won't have any problems adding a mile on here and there and making up the missed run.

LOL, just checked, this week calls for 43 miles, P&D does strange things to the mind when I'm calling that a low mileage week! :pac:

Pfffft - 43 miles? Lazy bitch. :D
    P&D is nuts.

I'm funny, some days I'm all motivated and have no problem going out. Last night, I was actually IN my running gear and just couldn't face it :o

I don't mind too much, this is a low mileage week, so I won't have any problems adding a mile on here and there and making up the missed run.

LOL, just checked, this week calls for 43 miles, P&D does strange things to the mind when I'm calling that a low mileage week! :pac:

No Stress NcMc... you're work has been great. bound to have a day or two when the head says No! I'm squeezing in as much as I can early this week cos I'll only go for easy runs on holidays next week.

Nice Puppy! ;-) My cat comes running with me & does a U turn after 500metres... if I come back same way I sometimes find her & she comes back with me.

P&D certainly does change your perception on what's high vs low mileage.. I felt Guilty for only doing 41 last week after two 50+ weeks... but really it's still good Mileage for us.

No Stress NcMc... you're work has been great. bound to have a day or two when the head says No! I'm squeezing in as much as I can early this week cos I'll only go for easy runs on holidays next week.

Nice Puppy! ;-) My cat comes running with me & does a U turn after 500metres... if I come back same way I sometimes find her & she comes back with me.

P&D certainly does change your perception on what's high vs low mileage.. I felt Guilty for only doing 41 last week after two 50+ weeks... but really it's still good Mileage for us.
    Holidays!!! I don't recall seeing that in the P&D plan!!! :D

Going anywhere nice? I'm away the first week of May, I think it's one of the last high mileage weeks we have, so I will have to try and balance getting some runs in but still managing to have some bit of a holiday!

• Advertisement

Holidays!!! I don't recall seeing that in the P&D plan!!! :D

Going anywhere nice? I'm away the first week of May, I think it's one of the last high mileage weeks we have, so I will have to try and balance getting some runs in but still managing to have some bit of a holiday!

Ah it's not in the plan.
    Did you not get the email from P&D? I got one from them last week that said 'You've worked hard, you deserve a holiday!' and inside were return flights to Malta ;-) Going Friday - Thursday. There is a Coastal Walk for a few miles from the hotel so I think that will be my track. But I won't be doing a whole lot. Holiday in May will do you the world of good.

Ah it's not in the plan.
    Did you not get the email from P&D? I got one from them last week that said 'You've worked hard, you deserve a holiday!' and inside were return flights to Malta ;-) Going Friday - Thursday. There is a Coastal Walk for a few miles from the hotel so I think that will be my track. But I won't be doing a whole lot. Holiday in May will do you the world of good.
    That sounds like heaven! Hope you have a great time. Running doesn't feel like such a chore when it's early in the morning along a beautiful coastal path with the sun just starting to peek out :) Beats my week in the Lake District (wettest place in Britain FYI :rolleyes:)

Wednesday PM 10 miles @ 8:47

Did my first VO2 mac session tonight, man did I under estimate how tough it would be! Bit of a disaster tbh, actually had to stop halfway through my 3rd interval for about 30 seconds as I thought I was going to throw up :( stopped my watch, so the time doesn't look as bad as it should. Had already done 5 miles warm up and did my first interval a bit fast, but a bit bummed about it overall. I did a 4 mile race in January and didn't feel half as bad as I did during these intervals! Anyway the .5 mile intervals were as follows:

1 - 6:31
    2 - 6:36
    3 - 7:25 (not including the stop eek!)
    4 - 7:10
    5 - 6:50

Recovery inbetween was .2 miles which was about 2 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gut-wrenching stuff, isn't it? You kept it together and got it done - well done. Next time you'll know what to expect and you'll be better prepared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Did my first VO2 mac session tonight, man did I under estimate how tough it would be! Bit of a disaster tbh, actually had to stop halfway through my 3rd interval for about 30 seconds as I thought I was going to throw up :( stopped my watch, so the time doesn't look as bad as it should. Had already done 5 miles warm up and did my first interval a bit fast, but a bit bummed about it overall. I did a 4 mile race in January and didn't feel half as bad as I did during these intervals! Anyway the .5 mile intervals were as follows:

Those sessions are dark horses alright. :D I was the same for my first one. Wouldn't worry about it. You'll have it down for the next one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Yikes. I'm planning to do mine tomorrow morning, and not looking forward to it. I actually like intervals, but the first ones after weeks of so much slower running are always dreadful for me. System shock!

Thanks guys, it's all a learning curve I suppose! I'll be better prepared for the next one and make sure to track my pace better in the early intervals. Bar the third interval when I stopped, the rest were pretty ok, so I just need to try and take the positives from the session.

You done well! Just mind the pace from early (same mistake as me) and you should be more able for the later ones! Good to have them done now.

I was running intervals for a half marathon I was supposed to do in Decemeber (but had to work). If anything err on the side of caution and start off more slowly than your target pace and feel your way into them. Is there a track anywhere you could use? Makes it much easier I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

That session sounds awful - lucky me with my 'makey uppy plan'! :cool:

Advertisement