Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slight Problem

• 12-11-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

Having a problem with an assistant manager in work as of late. Our general manager is gone for a couple of weeks, and so filled out the rota for each week in advance. I had seen these rotas before they were typed out and published for staff. When I seen this weeks rota, I realised that my assistant manager had changed it and cut me down by 17 hours, and given all of these hours to her friend who also works there. Needless to say she didn't know I had seen the rota before it was put up on the noticeboard. She was also seen in the staff room with her friend changing these rosters and scribbling out hours etc. This is not the first time, in general she is a bully and I've had enough. My question is, what do i do? Do i go into the general manager who is covering for the coming weeks or do I just let this go on?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ask the GM if the hours put on the board was what the GM had agreed but because they appear to be different from what you remember from seeing them on XYZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Work the hours you have been given without complaint. This is proof that you were given these hours.

When the general manager is back, mention to her that you are short of money on account of getting so few hours, and ask if there is any overtime available. Do this politely and calmly, it draws the attention of the general manager to what happened,and does not involve complaining about the other manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

OP - have you been getting more hours over the last 13 weeks? If so what number do you generally get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

when you saw the original roster where was it and the GM, ie: were you allowed by the GM to view the original roster or was she not aware that you had seen it?

if the GM let you see it before it was changed, then I would go the assistant manager and question it, and ask for the roster to be put back the way it was. Even if you only happened to see the roster by chance and weren't given express permission, I would still question her. If she realizes that you know it was her that changed it and thinks that you will be asking the GM about it, she might change her mind, depending on how she gets on with the GM and whether she thinks the GM will reprimand her. If I was the GM, I'd be more annoyed at an assistant manager changing the roster I made while I was away to give her friend more hours than I would be about an employee looking at it before she was supposed to. And if I allowed an employee to view the roster, and then an assistant manager changed it drastically, cutting that employees hours, I'd expect the employee to be unhappy about it. The fact that you want hours does not reflect badly on you as an employee in any way, but the fact that this person plays favorites reflects badly on her as a manager.

i can see where equality is coming from about how asking for overtime when the GM comes back would be a way to raise the issue in a professional way without causing a big stink, but that's a big cut in pay and why take a 17 hour cut to your paycheck without complaint just to 'have proof' that it happened. that proof won't pay your bills. i would raise the issue immediately, especially when the person who cut your hours doesn't really have the right to do so, and especially with christmas coming up i'm assuming you need to earn money. unfortunately in a lot of workplaces in this country, people who are 'assistant managers' think they're a CEO and need to be taken down a peg. she can't take your hours and give them to her friend while the boss is away, that's ridiculous and she shouldn't be allowed to get away with it, she needs to learn to treat colleagues fairly and not play favorites if she wants to be a manager.

Advertisement