Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Setting up Website Questions

Options
  • 12-11-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

I should know most of this but it has been a while (7 years) since I did anything remotely related to website development. So I would be grateful for some help.

My brother in law has registered (3 years ago) a website name (www.xyzzz.com) with register.com, he now (in a rush) wants to set up an email associated with www.xyzzz.com (Damo@xyzzz.com).

Register.com have a $99.95 per annum option for 10 email addresses.
    Is this a good value option?
    Am I storing up problems for later in terms of hosting a website there.
    I am assuming the email addresses will be up an running straight away - any horror stories?

The brother in laws wants to recieve photos from customers into this mailbox so its to be fairly robust.

Any suggestions?

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

If it's just 10 IMAP/ POP email accounts you're getting it's not good value. You would also be left paying another subscription if you decided you wanted to host a website later down the road.

To be honest you should be able to get a hosting package (website, email, database) for a similar price which would offer you more features in the future.

I've never used register.com so can't comment on their service, you would get similar priced packages from any Irish host and could just edit the DNS record on register.com to point to the Irish host if you went down that route.

hth
    gR

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Google Apps is free for individuals and small businesses. Doesn't take long to set up at all, most of the instructions are fairly straight forward, and there's plenty of help on the web

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kevincaomhin

Thanks guys, very helpful advice.
    I went with Google Option, as he uses gmail already.

Advertisement