Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 154: GSP vs. Condit

• 12-11-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

So who wins?

I thought Condit should have fought GSP before Jake Shields beat a rake of the best up and comers.

Cant decide yet if GSP will be back 100% and as usual get a points win, but i think he has to take this to the ground IMO Condit has to much standing up with range and angles.

Anyone know who retains the title if its a draw or NC?

Who Wins and how? 75 votes

GSP on points
    0% 0 votes
    GSP via Finish
    64% 48 votes
    Condit on Points
    30% 23 votes
    Condit via finish
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Ah Shields had a 15 fight win streak including a win over Conduit so he was always getting the title fight. Very interesting to see how both fighters get on with Greg Jackson in the corner. We might see Georges take a few more risks with Zahabi first corner. Looking forward to seeing him return, hope he's fully recovered. I know not direct comparisons but Shogun has been such a mixed bag since his return from knee surgery but I see Georges being a bit more consitent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

GSP has been out for a long time so it'll be interesting to see how we'll he's recovered and if ring rust will be a major factor.
    If he comes back in top form then I can see him winning it all day long. It'll probably be a decision win but I think he'd like to come back with a bang and try to get the finish.
    Ill be sticking a couple of quid on GSP by tko anyway. Big fan of him so I'd like to see him do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

It should be good, would like to Carlos come out like he did against Kim or McDonald and hit GSP with the flying knees. GSP just doesn't do it as champion. But can't see him taking the risks of tko or otherwise. He'll grind it out again.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

He's not a credible opponent for Silva so he needs a performance in this fight to make us all jump on the 'he is a credible opponent' bangwagon... I'll just screw back on the top of that can of worms and we'll forget I said anything.

GSP wins by TKO on the ground end of round 1 or first half round 2. GSP has been out a long time. No matter how hard he's trained it ain't fightin... longer this fight goes on Condit becomes fav IMO.. GSP has to do it early-ish or he gases from ring rust and gets picked apart and KO'd and suffers from a big adrenaline dump, natural for being out for so long. GSP by mostly elbows end Round 1... a finish for a change! Optimistic I know : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

I think GSP will win by decision because he's a freak athlete and ring rust wont apply to him, he'll have a good gameplan and hell stick to it and hopefully the silva fight will be setup. Would like to see nick Diaz fight the loser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Picking an upset here. I think GSP's knee injury was too bad for him to be as dominant as he once was. I think Condit stops him from round 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Anyone who thinks Condit comes anywhere near this fight is crazy!

GSP dominates to a 50-45 across the board decision win!

Condit is a decent fighter, but if you put together a list of guys GSP has beaten in the UFC and threw Condit in there, he doesn't even come in the Top 5 IMO. Hughes, Fitch, Sherk, Koscheck, Shields...... all superior IMO (relevant to time of course). It would also be a toss up between him and Alves IMO (would be a good fight to watch actually).

Condit got dominated by Rory McDonald in the past before catching him late. I see this fight going kind of the same way but GSP is too smart to get caught like the inexperienced McDonald.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Condit didn't get dominated by McDonald, that's an outrageous comment

I had McDonald winning 1st, Condit winning the 2nd, and was winning 3rd 10-8 til the ref saved Rory from a third hematoma

McDonald took Condit down and tried to lay and pray but just ended up eating punches and elbows from Condit.

Condit also stuck Rory in rubber guard and Rory had no answer, he couldn't do anything from top position

Condit also dropped McDonald on the feet

Watch the fight again on silent, without Rogan going Rory crazy

Ouch.jpg

SevereMMA wrote: »

I had McDonald winning 1st, Condit winning the 2nd, and was winning 3rd 10-8 til the ref saved Rory from a third hematoma

McDonald took Condit down and tried to lay and pray but just ended up eating punches and elbows from Condit.

Condit also stuck Rory in rubber guard and Rory had no answer, he couldn't do anything from top position

Ouch.jpg

Seems I don't remember the fight as well as you do :P

I remember having McDonald ahead by 2, winning the 3rd and getting caught!

anyway, GSP wins this by a mile IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

SevereMMA wrote: »

I agree its quite similar to how I viewed that fight. I would certainly give Condit a chance in this fight but believe he'd have to finish GSP to do so cant see him frustrating GSP to a decision like he did against Nick Diaz in fact more than likely the opposite will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Im pretty sure when Joe said that he was winning before the referee stopped it, that Rory denied that and said that Condit was hurting him the whole fight and he was the better man

Maybe the judges would have agreed with you on the Condit MacDonald scoring, they could have had it all 3 rounds for Rory, it was in Canada and the crowd and Rogan were going nuts for Rory

Lying on top of Condit for short periods in between getting lit up, might have been enough in his hometown with "RORY RORY" being chanted the whole time but it would have been a bad decision in my opinion

It's one of those fights that i remember well, like the Anthony Pettis vs Clay Guida fight, where Rogan pretended that lying on top of someone was better than elbows, punches and close submission attempts from the bottom

But for me, i dont score trying to hold onto someone as high as constant elbows, punches and close submission attempts and this is what happened in the Pettis Guida fight.

Guida's best offense was lay and pray with the odd shoulder strike (nothing shoulder strikes, nothing like Anderson Silvas shoulders)

It's a big problem, Pettis should be lightweight champion right now ;)

I hope Condit wins, i really really do. GSP is boring,he will still have the tank to go 5 rounds but hoping Condit comes at him with everything.
    There's ni way GSP gets a stoppage against Condit either.

Well if he can't stop Condit I think the Silva match is an outright piss-take

while we're at it 'going out and just trying to win on points in MMA' is just gay IMO

while we're at it 'going out and just trying to win on points in MMA' is just gay IMO

So is greasing up and rolling around the floor with another man.

But what can ya do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Sometimes you make decent points in you're posts, but then you make crazy comments like the one above and it just makes me dismiss all the other stuff you say.
    Can you explain why you think this?

grease-gate will never die will it

ah TBH I'm a huge GreaSeP fan myself but he needs to get in there and kick some ass if I'm to believe he has a chance in hell against Ninja Silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

preddy wrote: »
    Anyone know who retains the title if its a draw or NC?
    Very good question.
    And I'm not really sure what option there is bar a unification rematch.

Not really : ) haha it's just how I 'feel' I suppose... I see MMA the way I reckon it was supposed' to be... I'm an idealist... I want god damn bloodshed and I want peoples lives on the line every single fight of every single event.

ah not really, I just wish people would get in there to finish fights and not specifically to win a fight on points alone with no intention of trying to kick the other guys ass... which is what it should always be about in my 'sometimes decent' opinion ; )

Jabbing to a points win has nothing to do with who is the better fighter, to me. This is supposed to be about who is the better fighter, not who can use the rules and judging methodology in the cleverest way. I always want to see a result which reflects ideally who would most likely win if they fought in the parking lot, but that's just me. I just think that the UFC was supposed to be the place to answer who is the best fighter... where rules are merely there to stop people dying. I've said it before there should be no rounds and if it got boring or if they got too tired too quickly and ya don't like it I don't care... I want the UFC to be 1 round (bout 12 mins, no judging... win or lose or it's a draw) and whether that's based in reality or not that's what I want because I know it would force people to go and kick ass and win or go out on your sword. There'd be far less fights, less fighters willing to fight and the sport would be smaller and most likely illegal but fuk it that's the only way in my mind to force people to finish! Of Course most fights do actually end in a finish as we know it's just that when they don't I spit my dodo out and get cranky... esp when we're talkin bout amazing fighters like GSP who COULD finish fighters more than he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Not really : ) haha it's just how I 'feel' I suppose... I see MMA the way I reckon it was supposed' to be... I'm an idealist... I want god damn bloodshed and I want peoples lives on the line every single fight of every single event.

ah not really, I just wish people would get in there to finish fights and not specifically to win a fight on points alone with no intention of trying to kick the other guys ass... which is what it should always be about in my 'sometimes decent' opinion ; )

Jabbing to a points win has nothing to do with who is the better fighter, to me. This is supposed to be about who is the better fighter, not who can use the rules and judging methodology in the cleverest way. I always want to see a result which reflects ideally who would most likely win if they fought in the parking lot, but that's just me. I just think that the UFC was supposed to be the place to answer who is the best fighter... where rules are merely there to stop people dying. I've said it before there should be no rounds and if it got boring or if they got too tired too quickly and ya don't like it I don't care... I want the UFC to be 1 round (bout 12 mins, no judging... win or lose or it's a draw) and whether that's based in reality or not that's what I want because I know it would force people to go and kick ass and win or go out on your sword. There'd be far less fights, less fighters willing to fight and the sport would be smaller and most likely illegal but fuk it that's the only way in my mind to force people to finish! Of Course most fights do actually end in a finish as we know it's just that when they don't I spit my dodo out and get cranky... esp when we're talkin bout amazing fighters like GSP who COULD finish fighters more than he does.
    Im pretty sure my IQ dropped a little reading all this O_o

Mellor wrote: »
    Very good question.
    And I'm not really sure what option there is bar a unification rematch.

I'd be fairly sure the champ keeps the belt if it's a draw or NC... and there'd be a rematch deffo anyway.

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure my IQ dropped a little reading all this O_o

cool man nice!

Don't see why the outrage tbh. If GSP takes his time to get up to 185 properly I see this as Silva Vs Sonnen I exceot Geroges wouldn't get caught in a triangle. I'd actually like to see Georges have a tune up at 185 like a Bisping or Stann (Jackson's I know) or Vitor. I think it's tough that he has to go up and weight and immediately take on the greatest middleweight ever.

yeah Silva shouldn't be his first fight at 185 .. IF... he plans on a run at 185 and I don't think he does, or should. He could however have a couple of 'interest fights' at 185 like Silva did at 205 but as you say only IF that was his focus and he took his time coming up in muscle mass. Problem I have with GSP going up in weight, no matter how slowly and smartly done is that I personally think he carries at least enough muscle mass for his height/frame already and to add more wouldn't make sense. He's simply be crossing over that Hector Lombard type line of too much hulkery which would slow him to a degree (not that strength slows but too much mass:height ratio would) and prob result in gassing as his heart tries to pump blood too all his hulky buscles. And actually herein lies the truth behind GSP fighting Silva... everybody knows that in order to come up to Silva's weight GSP should spend a year or more building the muscle right and give himself the best chance possible but that would leave him at 185 and be very hard nye impossible for him to make 170 again any time soon.. alas he will not put the muscle on like that... he'll go half way is all, because he has absolutely no intention to fight at 185 so if he's going to do it once it's all about Silva and not anything about 185! it's a pure market driven fight... we all want it (even the more stupid side to my brain probably admittedly does in some way) so they're gona make it happen if they can at all! It's win win win, fans, fighters, UFC. Apart form that though the fight makes no sense physically to GSP, career wise to GSP at 185 which he has no intention on fighting at. And there's no risk to anyone involved. Silva takes it makes money gains popularity cements legacy even further, GSP takes it makes money loses it easily doesn't suffer any disrespect from anyone, Dana gets applauded for makin it happen and UFC makes big bank..... bangwagon ahoy everybody wins... I might as well just go with it and take my medicine and shut up but not without one final last 'he hasn't a breeze of a chance' comment.

Jabbing to a points win has nothing to do with who is the better fighter, to me. This is supposed to be about who is the better fighter, not who can use the rules and judging methodology in the cleverest way.
    If you can't prevent your opponent "jabbing to a points win" then he's the better fighter. Simple as that. It's not the most stunning display, or the most memorable. But being the technically better figher, is still the better fighter.

Look at Koschek's face after GSP'd jabbed his way to a win. The better fighter won with ease.
    I'd be fairly sure the champ keeps the belt if it's a draw or NC... and there'd be a rematch deffo anyway.
    The champ keeps his belt in regular title match if its a draw. Eg Edgar and Maynard at UFC 125.

But you are must be forgetting this is a unification match, they are both WW champions. GSP might be the "real" champ at 170, but Conduit has a title and he can't lose it by drawing.

hmm sehr interesting... ah I'm sure even Condit wouldn't consider himself any kind of champ yet (no matter how many photos they made him do with the other champs) and a draw would guarantee him a rematch so either way it'd get sorted out in the end. Interim belts suck. Injuries and drugs are wreckin everything.

I stand by my 'jabbing to a win' sucks ass comment though.. ahem... even if it loses veracity with every criticism, nature of stubbornness I suppose!

You may not be able to prevent somebody good at jabbing your eye out from doing so for the duration of the allotted time in rounds... but again that's playing by the rules and using the rules smarter than the other guy which is fine it gets the win and defends the belt but it don't answer who would win in a fight if there was just one open ended round and no judges and you had to 'win' by TKO or submission... which is pure idealist bullsh1t but that's the question I want to see answered when I watch an MMA fight and frankly that is mostly what happens as usually, more often than not fights get finished... asses get kicked, people get knocked out and submitted.. hence we love this sport.. I even hate callin it a sport. I just have hang-ups I suppose.

hmm sehr interesting... ah I'm sure even Condit wouldn't consider himself any kind of champ yet (no matter how many photos they made him do with the other champs) and a draw would guarantee him a rematch so either way it'd get sorted out in the end. Interim belts suck. Injuries and drugs are wreckin everything.

I'm sure conduit doesn't consider himself a legit champ either. But I was just getting at the what-if factor. They have to have some thing in place in case they draw, but one of them is injured., the other defends, and a different unification match.

I agree interims suck. As do long lay offs.
    I stand by my 'jabbing to a win' sucks ass comment though.. ahem... even if it loses veracity with every criticism, nature of stubbornness I suppose!
    I hate point fighting too.*
    It definitely happens, a guy wins two rounds and eases off. A lot of the time thats the guy on the end of a bad judging decision.

I just think GSP gets a hard time. He isn't purposely trying to grind out a win. He just trys to hit the guy with volume, and not get hit himself. He's cautious, and in no way cocky, but ultimately very smart.

*I've seen white belts point fighting at BJJ comps. I think its boring and useless at that stage. But thats the style some guys actively teach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »

I agree interims suck. As do long lay offs.

I have no problems with interim titles, keeps the belt active while someone is injured.

What I do have a problem with is interim champs refusing to fight. It's a joke and shouldn't be allowed, Condit and Barao being guilty parties.

A champion can't just refuse to defend his belt because he doesn't like the opponent or prefers a different one. So why does Dana White allow interim champs to do it? The whole point of interim belts is so that the division isn't held up by the champ's injury. But letting the interim title holder sit and wait for the unification is holding it up just as much.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have no problems with interim titles, keeps the belt active while someone is injured.
    [
    I should clarify,.
    I don't dislike that the UFC choose to bring in an interim title. Injuries make interims necessary. I simply dislike when these sip it's cone up. It disrupts the continuity of a title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If the injury is not a factor anymore, GSP wrestlefooks Condit to a decision.

If Anderson fights GSP I am convinced Anderson will wreck him, TKO in the first round if Anderson is up for it.

Unless GSP does something spectacularly different in this fight and finishes Condit I don't see things going any other way.

I know GSP is a smart fighter but in the last few fights his opponents haven't really challenged him and therefore let him dictate where the fight happens.
    Hardy, good on his feet, put on his a$$ by GSP....
    Shields, good grappler, stands and practices his kickboxing.....
    Kos, good all rounder but just stood in front of GSP and we all saw what he ended up looking like.
    Maybe he has some magic power that makes people forget their strenghts to a degree, i don't know.
    But he's boring as hell to watch. I'm worried that Condit will do the same as everyone else and play to his game instead of initiating their own.

And when GSP grings out a result, even if Silva met him at a catchweight between MW and WW, he'd take GSP out in no more than 2 rounds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I just hope GSP comes backs into fit and healthy,horrible injury to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

PauloConn wrote: »
    I know GSP is a smart fighter but in the last few fights his opponents haven't really challenged him and therefore let him dictate where the fight happens.
    Hardy, good on his feet, put on his a$$ by GSP....
    Shields, good grappler, stands and practices his kickboxing.....
    Kos, good all rounder but just stood in front of GSP and we all saw what he ended up looking like.
    Maybe he has some magic power that makes people forget their strenghts to a degree, i don't know.
    But he's boring as hell to watch. I'm worried that Condit will do the same as everyone else and play to his game instead of initiating their own.

And when GSP grings out a result, even if Silva met him at a catchweight between MW and WW, he'd take GSP out in no more than 2 rounds.

I wouldn't call him boring because he doesn't finish a fight. Nearly every fight he gives a masterclass in MMA. He goes out there to win backed up with an extensive gameplan on where to take the fight and what to do when he gets there. If the gameplan isn't going well he has the discipline to either stick with it or know when to change things up.

GSP will use his superior wrestling to wear Condit down and push an extremely fast pace ultimately to get the decision win. He will be vary wary of Condit's striking ability and underestimated ground game hence he will want to be the one who dictates the pace and keep Condit on the defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Is the Kampmann V Hendricks fight no 1 contender?. Kampmann is someone I personally always wanted to see fight GSP he also should be on a 7 fight win streak if he wasn't robbed in fights against Shields and Sanchez also holds a victory over Condit although that by split decision, He also used to fight at middleweight despite Hendricks run I can see Kampmann taking that fight and have a fight materialize between either Condit or GSP provided of course the whole Anderson issue you'd imagine would be a one off fight at catchweight GSP couldn't compete 185 v Silva without fighting someone else in that division first.

p to the e wrote: »
    I wouldn't call him boring because he doesn't finish a fight. Nearly every fight he gives a masterclass in MMA. He goes out there to win backed up with an extensive gameplan on where to take the fight and what to do when he gets there. If the gameplan isn't going well he has the discipline to either stick with it or know when to change things up.

GSP will use his superior wrestling to wear Condit down and push an extremely fast pace ultimately to get the decision win. He will be vary wary of Condit's striking ability and underestimated ground game hence he will want to be the one who dictates the pace and keep Condit on the defensive.

Anderson Silva gives masterclasses in MMA, GSP not so much. I know he's smart, a great fighter who uses his plan to get the wins and he always makes it look comfortable due to his skill. And i do agree that he can change things up when they aren't going his way but this is rare as the opponents he faces stay with their own gameplan that he's scouted (except when Shields decided to stand with him when he had the eye-poke).
    He could go in and GnP on Condit, i think Carlos will be active from his back but reckon thats how GSP will win, by grinding out a win.....

• Advertisement

Interesting to see Chad Griggs at 205. His style of swarming people is very effective and am curious to see what kind of an impact he'll have in the divison. I'd fancy him on Saturday anyway. He should definitely put Diabate on his back and put a beating on him. Honestly think if he can stay injury free he can beat most LHW's and become a force in this division. Stylistically I think he'd beat many of the guys considered top LHW's such as Gustaffson, Machida etc. Watch this space.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

I think we have been watching two very different Chad Griggs if you think he would beat Gus or Machida. I'd like to see that just for the spectacle of seeing somebody get slaughtered in style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

It truly baffles me how people assume GSP will 'walk' through this fight, Condit is an unbelievable fighter. GSP has been out for over a year and in my opinion choosing to take this fight was wrong. Condit by tko.

This is Chaos (Condit) vs Order (GSP).

Condit will fling himself in there at all sorts of weird angles and wont gas and take shots and laugh em off like he does and GSP will work him out and time him and enforce a game plan which I believe HAS TO BE a plan to finish Condit.... if we're to take the Silva fight seriously IMO.

Condit is a smashing fighter, completely fearless and very creative but he's going to get defined by GSPs performance on Sat, as what he is... very good, but not special.. like JDS, Jones, Silva and Aldo and of course GSP.

If he proves me wrong I'll be the first of his new bandwagon fans!
    Condit is too chaotic and trusts in his own toughness too much... that wont work against Georges. He said so himself but I still think he'll be flying in there with scissor knees and spinning back heels, why change anything? what he's been doing has worked up to now, it's what he does best so doing anything else isn't drawing on his own natural strengths. I think his best chance is to go out and try and do to GSP what he's done to so many others - fight like a possessed mad man who refuses to give up.

"I'm not going to fight carelessly. I'm not going out there and throw caution to the wind," Condit said. "It's probably not the smartest thing against a fighter like Georges.

I disagree, I think he should just go in there and try n kick Georges ass. He is not going to out strategize Georges, nor out wrestle him and probably not submit him as a result so his best bet is to make it a fight and trust his own ability to drop GSP... with some mental flying knee or a wall-walk kick : )

Condit did look alot more calculated in the Diaz fight than in previous ones and that may stand to him a bit. But he can't use that game against GSP but hopefully it keeps GSP guessing as to which kind of fight he'll be in.....
    I really want Condit to be the champ, nothing against GSP, i've seen all his fights over the last few years, but as you said Nutella, if he doesn't finish Condit, the Silva fight isn't going to draw as much so at least it gives George something to work towards for that massive payday.

• Advertisement

I really do think GSP has to finish Condit and show his raw power against him especially in any wrestling or scramble situations and use that power to get Condit down against the cage and damage him with old school GSP elbows from the top. IF he can then I'm open to the small possibility that he could do the same to Silva but GSP will need to unleash some real violence on Condit to finish him let alone Silva. Condit is the perfect acid test for a GSP/Silva fight next year especially to determine if GSP still has explosive TDs in that knee of his.

I really do think GSP has to finish Condit and show his raw power against him especially in any wrestling or scramble situations and use that power to get Condit down against the cage and damage him with old school GSP elbows from the top. IF he can then I'm open to the small possibility that he could do the same to Silva but GSP will need to unleash some real violence on Condit to finish him let alone Silva. Condit is the perfect acid test for a GSP/Silva fight next year especially to determine if GSP still has explosive TDs in that knee of his.

Agreed that he has to show that killer instinct but i think it's been so long since he has that he may have lost it. And with the knee still being a slight question, it'll be good to see what happens.
    But if he just outwrestles him, then there's no point putting him against Silva. Considering what Silva has done against bigger (possibly better) grapplers he wouldn't have a prayer. Fighers like Hardy, Shields, Alves who he took to decision have all been finished recently so its not that they were too tough, it's that he was content to put a plan in place where he did dominate them technically but never used all of his power to finish them.

that makes me lose faith in the superhuman that is Georges St Pierre... which I refuse to. He's going to man-handle Condit and smash him up within the first 2 rounds and alter my stubborn opinion on his realistic chances against Silva and I shall have my cake and eat it.

I used to be convinced he'd smash through anyone too, i remember being so excited by the Hardy fight (which was very well marketed given where Hardy is now) but that fight took the love out of me.... To just take him down at will and not even be able to submit him or finish him...... i was never the same again.
    So i'm cheering for the natural born killer in this one and i hope he show's GSP up.
    Not to say i won't be happy if GSP does actually finish him (and i will give credit where it's due) but we don;t just need a champ in WW, we need a hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

From memory I think he got hardy in some great submissions but hardy wouldnt tap. Think that was more due to hardy being tough than gsp not trying to finish

It wasnt that Hardy wouldn't tap, if he had the submission in correctly Hardy would have been out but he did have him in position for a number of submission attempts during the 25 minutes that he dominated him.
    Then if you look at the Condit v Hardy, well there's no comparison really. That KO was sweet as a nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What do people reckon will happen with Kampmann vs Hendricks?

I'm hoping Kampmann wins as I'm a fan but it's a tough call really.

Yeah, big fan of Kampmann too and hoping he gets his shot at the belt after, especially if Condit wins and he has a decision over him. Would be class.
    Hendricks is no slouch though but as alot of commentators are saying, it's only a matter of time before Martin's "flukes" are recognized as skill.
    Hopefully its a good fight and defo has the potential for FOTN....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

head says gsp but theres just something telling me condit will cause a shock.

condit to finish

GSP looked very relaxed and in shape at weigh in but a little deflated from loss of water weight - No doubt he'll re-inflate and look bigger than Condit come bell time! Read some article about the fight yest and the writer made reference to GSP as the 'Ivan Drago' of MMA in reference to the advanced nature of everything about his preparation. He is like a scientific project with a team of trainers, scientists and doctors surrounding him... I think the analogy fits. Anyone who is specifically learning gymnastics for agility and balance and core strength is scary. IMO Nobody has 170 power to weight value like GSP! (although Johnny Hendricks IS bleeding huge at 170 now that I think of it)

• Advertisement
Advertisement