Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 154: GSP vs. Condit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I was only 1 point off! :P

Pretty obvious now that they want to make the Silva fight. Can't see him edging points on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Pretty obvious now that they want to make the Silva fight. Can't see him edging points on that one.

If/when GSP fights Silva, GSP wins it IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

If/when GSP fights Silva, GSP wins it IMO!

It's nice that they let people from the mental hospital use the internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Yeah I found that picture in picture camera on him to be a bit disrespectful of Condit tbh. Plus it meant we got more glimpses of that dreadful tasche(shudder).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So anyone in need of a good drinking game?

Every time Joe Rogan announces that <insert name> is one of the <best/strongest/most technical/powerful> <WWs/strikers/BJJ practitioners> in <the world/the UFC/all of MMA>...

It's nice that they let people from the mental hospital use the internet!

I think a GSP v Silva fight goes like Silva v Sonnen I without the triangle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So anyone in need of a good drinking game?

Every time Joe Rogan announces that <insert name> is one of the <best/strongest/most technical/powerful> <WWs/strikers/BJJ practitioners> in <the world/the UFC/all of MMA>...

Screw that.... We'd be pissed within seconds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

well i think that fight showed that anderson will eat gsp alive. [on a side note i'd be more a gsp fan than silva]

darced wrote: »

Sorry, but I don't think you can say GSP's chin is suspect, especially not on the fact that he was hit flush on the temple with a head-kick that he didn't see coming and was rocked by it!

He's been knocked out once in a career where he's fought every top WW in recent memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Sorry, but I don't think you can say GSP's chin is suspect, especially not on the fact that he was hit flush on the temple with a head-kick that he didn't see coming and was rocked by it!

He's been knocked out once in a career where he's fought every top WW in recent memory.

Poster said chin not temple, Plus If Anderson had someone rocked they'd be finished.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I didnt bother to stay up for it and just read the result this morning, but is the fight worth watching and commiting 25 minutes to?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think everyone who's underrating GSP against Anderson is forgetting what the consensus was 18 months ago. Remember when Anderson was hated? Remember when GSP was 'the guy' in the UFC? People only rate Anderson that much higher because some of his best wins are fresh in the memory. We've had the 'Anderson is the GOAT' conversation more recently than the 'GSP is the GOAT'. But let's not forget that both are and have been the puzzle that nobody in the UFC can figure out for a long time (though you can now add Jon Jones to that list).

And last night GSP showed that he still has it. I'd put his struggles down to Condit simply being the best fighter he's faced at WW since he's regained the belt, rather than him losing steam. It was proper, old school GSP.

So, with that said, GSP can finish what Sonnen couldn't and Anderson can finish what Condit couldn't. They're a great match up. GSP could either put him on his back and dominate him for 5 rounds, or he could do it for 4 before Anderson comes up with something crazy that will KO him in the 5th. Or Anderson could just kill him in the 1st, if he catches him. OR GSP could put him on his back in the 1st, force a mistake and end up choking Anderson out.

They play into each other's weaknesses likely and I don't think there's any conclusive favourite in the match. I can't wait for it personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

GSP needs to take the superfight and make the big bucks because he'll lose to Hendricks imo. If you're gonna beat hendricks you'll have to take him out cos he'll tag you at some stage. Once GSP loses once that fight is gone.

Thought the PIP on Silva was gas. You could just see him thinking "I'm about 2 mins away from $5 million don't f**k it up now George"

Silva v GSP then Silva v Jones, then the great man can retire and we'll all be happy.

Poster said chin not temple.......

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Poster said chin not temple

How's his Jaw?

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Again, are we forgetting who we're talking about? Part of GSP's appeal is that we just don't know what his gameplan is going to be (unless he can win with his Plan A in wrestling). This is the same guy who, when everyone in the world was moaning that he just lay on people, beat Josh Koscheck with jabs like he was holding a midget at arm's length. Him and Jackson will study the **** out of Silva, come up with a gameplan (and now there is one; thanks to a wrestler who has vastly inferior mat skills to GSP), and GSP is good enough to be able to execute it to perfection.

That isn't to discount the fact that Anderson can, and probably will, do exactly the same thing. Which is why it makes it such a fascinating match.

I just think if you completely rule GSP out, then you've forgotten what makes him so good to begin with. And to rule him out further on the basis that Condit competed with him last night is doing a massive disservice to how talented a fighter Condit is*.

Either way, with Silva now looking as if he's accepting the fact that GSP and Jones will likely be his next two fights (and I think he'd eventually catch GSP and lose by decision to Jones tbh), it'll be fascinating to see Greg Jackson try his best to out-think Anderson and sending his two best guys in to challenge him.

*And to say that Silva beats GSP because he could beat Condit in the first round is a massive fallacy too. He probably could finish Condit, but that's more down to the fact that Condit is an erratic fighter who ignores safe gameplans in favour of a more risky, exciting style. Styles make fights and Condit is well suited to GSP's style (his erratic nature meant that Georges could never rest on his laurels as he was always a constant threat and GSP needed to wait for his moment to take him down in each round to nullify that) notsomuch Silva's (who'd punish him for leaving one opening, and he'd leave plenty).

That doesn't mean that GSP wouldn't be suited to Silva's style. If anything, I'd say Georges would be so careful against Silva, it could end up being a poor fight where both fighter's stand off and wait for the other to make a move. He wouldn't, and didn't, give that respect to Condit. Which is why he left openings...but it ultimately worked.

Chavways wrote: »
    How's his Jaw?

:pac::pac:

250px-Temple_(anatomy)_(PSF).png
    chin.png

250px-Temple_(anatomy)_(PSF).png
    chin.png

Wait, I see "Temple" on the first one. But the second one? I'm not sure what's going on! Could you explain further?

Wait, I see "Temple" on the first one. But the second one? I'm not sure what's going on! Could you explain further?

That's the most blatant chin ever not surprised you never copped it however

That's the most blatant chin ever not surprised you never copped it however

Now now, no need to get testee!

(Please don't post of a picture of testees)

GSP looks like he's been in a fight.........

229155.jpg

• Advertisement

Where's Machida going with that knacker-tache?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

GSP looks like he's been in a fight.........

229155.jpg

I think Anderson Silva would take his soul and I reckon he doesn't want that fight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Just watched hendricks knockout.....wow

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

jayteecork wrote: »

Movember??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I can't see GSP ever fighting Silva.

GSP and his team will never EVER take an unnecessary risk that could hurt his legacy, all the fights he's had so far have been necessary in mandatory defenses.

Jackson won't want his pretty boy anywhere near Silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Recorded this last night and went to watch it a few mins ago. Turns out UPC decided to just wipe the recording on me instead. Sound bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

yeah so well that fight was the best fight of the year for me. Condit is so tough to put away it's scary... you actually have to shoot him in the brain with a knife bazooka to finish him. Respect to Condit.
    But he wasn't there for the start, never turned up... bottled... froze... no rhythm no umf ! and GSP came out swinging and with some giant French Canadian manballs, swarmed Condit and timed him and took him down violently and at will.
    And then a couple rounds later Condit finally arrived from the dressing room mid-beatdown and decided to almost make the comeback of UFC history with a couple close triangles, 4 armbars, 3 kimuras, 3 sweeps and a 17 strike combo headkick.
    But then GSP just polished off his 'Did yez forget I'm actually superhuman and so amazing I make everybody else who you think is awesome look normal badge' and did the most unbelievably well timed spin round gymnastic dance choreographed get ups I've ever seen with Condit standing over him unleashing top drawer face-violence... and biggidybam... GSP has spun up to his feetfrom some kind of possessed jack-in-the-box, cleared his head and is again expertly dictating the fight with the cardio of a drug inflated Lance Armstrong, proceeding to time and parry Condit like he was a younger brother trying to get the remote control back off his taller teasing brother... even sprinkling a face load of superman jab + leg kick combo all over the closing credits of Condit's title dreams.

Utterly gobsmacked at the variety of skills of GSP.
    Great Strikers: mnaaa win
    Great Wrestlers: mnaaa win

... doesn't matter what ya got he's just better than you.. He's now on par with Silva in my book for best MMA Fighter of all time!

I can't believe I'm sayin this but....

GSP has a small chance if beating Anderson Silva
    I hope the fight happens now It's worth the risks, he might win, if he does he's God unlimited, he'll earn 5 mill minimum... might as well... I hate myself... but how can ya doubt what he can do after doing that after a torn ACL? bring it on

I'm sorry, but did you see how ordinary GSP made BJ Penn (one of the best of all-time) look while BJ was in his prime?

Yeah, that was the same GSP that showed up last night. And yet he could never comfortably control Condit. He won four rounds deservedly, but they weren't dominant 10-9's in the same way we're used to seeing GSP dominate (aside from the 5th, by which Condit had nothing left in the tank).

A bit of perspective and cop-on, please. I get that it's trendy to hate on GSP these days, that doesn't make it any more valid. Much like how people jumped on the Anderson-hating bandwagon years back...that now sing his praises from the hilltops.

Would I be alone in saying that I don't want the GSP v Silva fight ?

I'd rather see Jones v Silva.... It's a much better match up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

blobby360 wrote: »
    Would I be alone in saying that I don't want the GSP v Silva fight ?

I'd rather see Jones v Silva.... It's a much better match up.

Why does the fact you'd prefer to see a Silva v Jones fight exclude you from wanting to see a GSP vrs Silva fight. :confused:

I want to see both. I'd assume anybody with any sort of interest in MMA would want to see both. Where they rank them on a wish list might vary, but that's irrelevant really.

Mellor wrote: »
    Why does the fact you'd prefer to see a Silva v Jones fight exclude you from wanting to see a GSP vrs Silva fight. :confused:

I want to see both. I'd assume anybody with any sort of interest in MMA would want to see both. Where they rank them on a wish list might vary, but that's irrelevant really.

It's not so much that I don't want to see the fight. I'd be just as hyped as the next guy.

But for me I'd rather watch jones v silva.
    I think I'm just worried that if Silva was to beat GSP. He'd have no Reason to fight jones.

And not to mention who could you see beat jones other than Silva ?

I don't think GSP v Silva is a recipe for a good fight. Exciting build up, no doubt. But a good fight? It's bound to disappoint.

Also, I don't think GSP's next fight should be Silva. The guy has been out for over a year, his knee was destroyed. In order to fight Silva he wants to move to 185 permanently, which will take time to do. He'll be out of the cage for another year approx. Nah, let him smash Hendricks first at least.

If we're gonna see GSP v Silva it should be the best versions of both guys facing each other.

blobby360 wrote: »
    It's not so much that I don't want to see the fight. I'd be just as hyped as the next guy.
    Well you just said you didn't want to see it. Confusing.
    But for me I'd rather watch jones v silva.
    I think I'm just worried that if Silva was to beat GSP. He'd have no Reason to fight jones.
    I don't see how Silva beating GSP impacts the Jones fight at all.
    Even if he loses, the Jones fight happens. Fans still want to see Jones tested by Silva's striking.
    And not to mention who could you see beat jones other than Silva ?
    I agree. But I don't how that's relevant to the GSP fight.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer to see GSP fight Hendricks or even Diaz to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I had either GSP by decision or Condit by flash KO, but was leaning towards GSP. But I had no idea how good a fight this was going to be. GSP looked old-school GSP and is such an amazing fighter. I'm delighted his knee hasn't held him back. Condit seemed hesitant after the first round. I don't know if it was because he was trying the same tactic he used against Diaz, or just that GSP surprised him by beating him to the punch almost every time.

Was gutted for Kampmann. Would really like to see how he would fare against GSP, but I might have to wait longer for that now. I don't see Hendricks pulling that off against GSP, but then again I didn't expect that against Kampmann or Fitch either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see Diaz vs Silva. Laugh if you want...

This would be a really interesting fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I think Diaz is extremely overrated and Silva would make light work of him tbh.

Still haven't seen this event thanks to UPC being shíte. Anyone know where someone could catch it online, if they were that way inclined?
    Not that I'd ever watch an illegal stream of course.

Funny enough I'd prefer see Diaz Silva than GSP Silva. You'd still have to fancy Anderson though, I mean Paul Daley nearly had Diaz knocked out.

Ush1 wrote: »

I'd be pretty confidant that we'll both if those fights.

As for Diaz, he'd do his trash talk "come at me". And Silva would knock him out on cue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

It depends on what weight the fight happens at, GSP said in the post fight that he cant change is weight like other fighters so i cant see him moving up to 185 hes not that big of a guy so a catch weight is the best for both.
    No easy out for GSP if he lost then saying the move up was too much.

I would rather see Jones fight Cain if Cain loses to Junior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

I'd be pretty confidant that we'll both if those fights.

As for Diaz, he'd do his trash talk "come at me". And Silva would knock him out on cue.

And we would have to listen to Rogan pre fight telling us how amazing his "boxing" is and then show us footage of BJ Penn not standing right in front of him with no footwork etc.

Anderson would murder him in a striking battle.

Saturday night was a super fight,really enjoyed and GSP takedowns are a joy to behold.

• Advertisement

Advertisement