Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Advice....

• 12-11-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

One of the lads yesterday had a problem with his Honda CBF600F mid spin, so I said I would stick it up here and see if anyone could shed a bit of light on the subject. Coming to the end of the N52 after moving on a bit we pulled into the garage and the smell from the bike was just terrible. It was like rotten eggs and fish combined (no joke) so we took the saddle and that off looking for any signs of a problem. When we opened up the housing on the battery the battery itself was actually billowing smoke intermittingly through one of the seals at the top.

This is a new battery aswell less then 2 weeks old and was replaced as the last battery showed similiar signs (smell but no smoke).

I know the hondas give a little bit of trouble with the reg/rec and its seems that the battery on the bike after a bit of hard riding was over cooked (as in charged far too much) it really was like a kettle boiling. Anyway, after it cooled down we could get red lights but trying to start her dimmed and dead.

Said I would stick it up here as might learn something if someone else encountered something similar. My money is on the reg/rec so we see mid week if that is the case. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Sounds like the rekki alright..had the same toasted battery on my gsxr....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Common on Honda's. MOS-FET reg/rec like the Yamaha R1 are the best.
    You can get aftermarket ones which are much better than buying secondhand and possibly faulty ones.
    Ignitech.cz sell aftermarket ones which are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Defo reg/rec. I had a Hornet which was a streetfighter with fireblade engine. Battery blew up on a spin. The reg/rec was over charging and cooking the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Are they easy to fit or do you need to be in the game to install one, he is trying to keep the costs down at this stage. He is going to need and reg/rec and a new battery, I wonder where would be the cheapest to get both if he could fit them himself.

Thanx for the advice lads, he is fairly new to biking so dont want him to get too down about it. Shame it happened so soon on his 1st bike aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Reg/Rec are easy to fit.
    Check the alternator wiring first, and output, before fitting a new reg/rec.

• Advertisement

Good stuff....will text him now, try and save him a few quid. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There are some very good posts on triumphrat.net about fitting a Yamaha rec/reg.
    http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html
    The principle is the same for any bike.

Scrap the cap!

AFAIK he got sorted, have not talked to him yet but will let you guys know what was wrong and how it got sorted.

Advertisement