Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mossies Surf Break, Kerry

Options
  • 12-11-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

can anybody tell me about Mossies and the spots around castlegregory, il be there wed/thur, anybody know about parking, access etc?? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Zygnoth

First, despite what the name would suggest, Mossies has no moss and is a water-based wave.

[Redacted]

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

can anybody tell me about Mossies and the spots around castlegregory, il be there wed/thur, anybody know about parking, access etc?? cheers

Generally asking about spots on the 'net is considered to be poor form, even if it is a reasonably well known spot.
    Apart from drawing extra attention to a given location it often places misinformation and inaccurate details into the public domain which in turn is then accepted as gospel while in fact may be wrong and completely misleading.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormrider-Surf-Guide-Europe/dp/0953984079/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352768185&sr=1-1

Do yourself a favour and purchase an up to date Storm Rider Guide.
    It will have enough correct information for all the well-known spots as well as other details/advice that any decent surfer should learn.

Afterwards try to remember that any spot NOT included in the guide should NEVER be asked about, highlighted, photographs of posted or be discussed online.
    I expect to be scoffed at for making this point, esp on this particular forum and so be it, but for those that are genuine surfers & passionate about it it's considered correct & standard practice.

I haven't surfed there myself as I always found it empty, blown out or at the wrong tide. It's generally considered a fairly mellow spot.

The wave breaks out a bit from the shore and the surrounding area is flat so will be hard enough to line up.

As far as I know, you could paddle out from Spillane's pub, which has lots of carparking.

The reason it’s often empty is because it does not often work.
    It's an exposed spot which contributes to it being blown out or unsurfable.
    Yes, you can paddle from the Pub if you want to but it's a long fu*kin’ paddle.

When it's properly working it's definitely not a mellow spot and it is only suitable for the experienced!
    Unless you have decent surf mileage clocked up and you know what you’re doing it is most definitely not recommended!!

It's worth noting that no-one should paddle out to a spot which they couldn’t comfortably swim back in from… esp in decently heavy conditions plus rips, and still have some reserve in the tanks. Safety First!

There are many other spots nearby that are better suited.

Advertisement