Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man died in the river in Claddagh on Sunday

Options
  • 12-11-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Saw that sad moments yesterday around 14.00

He left his clothes, shoes and empty wine bottle on the bench ( as on the picture in right corner) and I presume he jumped into the river.
    Emergency doctors tried to start his heart, on the slipway.

RIP

<image removed fully after discussion with other mods/biko>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

And you felt the need to take a photo of the scene and post it on boards, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

And you felt the need to take a photo of the scene and post it on boards, why?

why not, it is part of our life. maybe someone knows the man, and the reason why he did what he did. maybe if we knew that reason, we all could learn somethink from that...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

pepe, I removed the image tags. Note that the image shows anything but some clothes etc but it might be better if people clicked it.

RIP and remember that family and friends od the deceaced may well read this thread so please do not speculate, name names or similar.
    We're still waiting for official sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I would take down any pictures of the sad event, the man choose to end his life and a bit of dignity would be the right thing to do not to post pictures of what is an all too familar event. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I would take down any pictures of the sad event, the man choose to end his life and a bit of dignity would be the right thing to do not to post pictures of what is an all too familar event. RIP

While I respect your opinion, I don't agree with it. The person decided to take their own life in full public view. Imagine if there were kids around (or even adults for that matter) - witnessing such an event can have emotional consequences for people.

If you do something like this in public, you need to appreciate that people are going to talk.

Also, someone has to pluck that body out of the water, and I can tell you from experience that it's not fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

I walked past this area just after 1.30 and there were lots of people around including children feeding the swans and others riding bikes, hope thay did not see this unfortunate incident.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

JohnCleary wrote: »
    While I respect your opinion, I don't agree with it. The person decided to take their own life in full public view. Imagine if there were kids around (or even adults for that matter) - witnessing such an event can have emotional consequences for people.

If you do something like this in public, you need to appreciate that people are going to talk.

Also, someone has to pluck that body out of the water, and I can tell you from experience that it's not fun
    Has it ever crossed your mind that people who take their own lives mightn't be thinking clearly?

I'm genuinely flabbergasted by the sentiment shown in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Is there any relevance to this thread any more? I understand it's Galway news and many witnessed the event but I have been told the name of the man and he is local, personally i wouldn't like to come on to boards and see my family/friends demise discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

personally i wouldn't like to come on to boards and see my family/friends demise discussed

I guess they have other problems that a thread on boards.

As was said, he did that in full public. So maybe people may want and have the rights to know the reason for what he did, I think that discussion is natural continuation for what happend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sorry, but apart from (albeit boardsie) heresay, where is the link to the source that says this man intentionally took his own life (as opposed to a tragic accident, drunken or otherwise)? If there is none why are we still discussing this like any other serious incident?

What is the point of this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

pepe00 wrote: »
    I guess they have other problems that a thread on boards.

As was said, he did that in full public. So maybe people may want and have the rights to know the reason for what he did, I think that discussion is natural continuation for what happend.
    Utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Best wait for official news. PM to reopen once that happens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement