Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychological Assessment

Options
  • 12-11-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi Folks,

I work in the Community Sector and specifically in an education department. A student of mine is showing strong signs of one or more learning disabilities. He is highly intelligent however after three months of tuition he is still preliterate and struggles to do quite basic tasks in a learning environment. His behaviour and attention span suggests ADHD and I am wondering if he may also have dyslexia as I know these two can often be linked.

As my organisation is funded by a Government agency it would be extremely difficult to obtain funding in order to pay the usual fee's of (€600 if I am correct) and then purchase needed resources.

Does anyone know if there is an organisation that provides free or reduced rate assessments for those in education or from disadvantaged areas?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

The Disability Act 2005 does this free of charge for some people, depending on the age.The parent fills up an application form and sends it to the HSE.

Alternatively the GP can write to the HSE and ask for an assessment by an ed psych or SLT or OT or Physio. These are free, but there is a long waiting list. Some GP's won't refer, others will refer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Unlikely the HSE will do an educational assessment, they normally ask the school to do one through NEPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

If the HSE could be convinced to ask the school to do the educational assessment through NEPS I am fairly sure the OP would be happy with that.

Have you any idea how to get the HSE to make this request?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If the student is in a school under NEPS,the school would follow a staged process of learning support and after a no. of terms of support-both in class and through learning support,the child may then be listed for NEPS.The problem is that the list tends to be a very long one in each school.

Advertisement