Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The neighbour dogs left loose, causing problems :-(

• 12-11-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

I live out in the country side. We have a small Jack russell. Well, he is 1/2 miniature jack & 1/2 chuhuahua. He is kept in doors every night. But likes to go out for an hour or 2 during the day. (only on our own property)

Now the local batchelor neighbour/farmer had 2 sheep dogs, and 2 terriers. Every now and again these dogs (not all together, but at least 2 at a time) decide to come into our yard. I got up this morning to roaring out the back, my lil fella was pinned in by 2 of these dogs and he was screaming! I brought him in immediately, and hunted off the other 2. He was so scared, he pooed himself :-( and cried for a good 10 mins. He searched the house looking for my hubby (who was at work, and who had left him out this morning for wee wee's)

This farmer in particular will most definitely not lock up or tie up any of his dogs, there is no form of restraint AT ALL AT ALL! What can I do? I don't wanna have to ring the guards on him, cos i plan to stay here, and dont want bad blood. But, My dog is afraid to go for a wee in his own yard!

Any suggestions? Thanks :-(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Trap the dogs in a shed. Keep them for a day or two or until he comes looking for them. Then lie to him - tell him they threatened you and you were afraid to let them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

i have a similar situation, but we haven't encountered the dogs in a long long while. One of his dogs actually attacked one of our dogs while we were out walking, our dog was on lead and his dog just came up to her and bit her. We didnt want to say it to the farmer coz he's the type of mentaler that would prob bring the dog out and shoot it! We just don't walk up the farmers road anymore. Its not the dogs fault its owner is an idiot but ultimately its the dog that will pay the price, and maybe with its life. this being the only reason we never reported the problem to any authority. I couldn't live knowing i'd caused a dog to be put to sleep.

Can you fence off and/or make safe the boundary to your property?? at least that way your dog is safe and has the freedom to roam your property without worrying that these dogs will enter upon your property and attack him. These dogs are essentially trespassing so if you feel you can't speak directly to the farmer, then the next people to talk to are the Gardai or local Council or local SPCA to advise that these dogs are being a nuscience to the community and you are fearful of them even on your own property. They may tell you they can't do anything or they may take the steps of having the dogs removed and possible put to sleep if they are in fact deemed dangerous and not rehomeable.

IMO the best solution here is to fix up your boundary fence to ensure that the farmers dogs cannot get onto your property. And maybe say in passing to the farmer that if they are caught on your property, harassing your own dog and you/your family, that you will have no alternative but to ring the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Is there a way you can secure your yard against the dogs coming in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

All our property is fenced off, and has chicken wire nailed to alL the fencing. It was done that initially to keep 3 kids in! as opposed to keeping 4 dogs out! The dogs are so determined to get in that nothing will stop them. I might go the gentle route and mention it to the postman first....Ya, I live in that sort of community that the postman knows everyone/everything/everyones business. He might drop a few hints when dropping post off to my neighbour. Hmmm... it might work.

At the moment my lil fella is sat looking out the glass doors...waiting :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

good thinking with the postman route - he might give the farmer a gentle nudge in the right direction!

Your poor JRT, terrible he can't go and enjoy his own garden!

another option might be to scare the farmers dog off with an excessively loud noise, something to scare them and make them think twice about coming back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mitosis wrote: »
    Trap the dogs in a shed. Keep them for a day or two or until he comes looking for them. Then lie to him - tell him they threatened you and you were afraid to let them out.

Please do not advise illegal activities in this forum. It is an offense to detain a dog without reverting to the relevant authorities.
    I don't know why anyone would encourage another poster to be dishonest or tell lies. There are a couple of reasonable, honest routes that can be taken... There's no need to either lie, nor advocate lying.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sturdy high walls or fences is all you can do really, if you cannot afford to do the whole garden immediately (It can be very expensive) then a run for your little fella will keep him safe for the few mins he's out unsupervised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

ahhhh well if there are a couple of reasonable honest suggestions could you not suggest them?

id suggest calling the dog Warden, i don't think the gardai will do anything tbh and if that doesn't work. call to the farmer say it to him.
    <snip>

Provocative comment deleted.
    Folks, that's twice I've had to intervene in this thread to delete inappropriate comments suggesting cruelty, or to stop illegal activities being advised. Both are against the forum charter. Before anyone posts again, check the forum charter to ensure what you're about to post is not going to merit mod action.
    This is a final warning.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Whispered wrote: »
    Sturdy high walls or fences is all you can do really, if you cannot afford to do the whole garden immediately (It can be very expensive) then a run for your little fella will keep him safe for the few mins he's out unsupervised.

thats rubbish why should the op pay for expensive fencing to keep that guys dogs out. he is not being responsible for his dogs just letting them run Wild like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

If dogs stray on to your property you could possibly secure them and call the local warden. Dogs that are picked up by a warden 3 times do not have to be handed back to owner.
    After the farmer has paid his fines if he retrieves his dogs the first time he would usually be informed of the 3 strikes rule. It can make a lot of irresponsible owners buck up quickly.

• Advertisement

crazygeryy wrote: »
    thats rubbish why should the op pay for expensive fencing to keep that guys dogs out. he is not being responsible for his dogs just letting them run Wild like that.

The op just said that they didn't want to get the warden involved and would like to keep relations between neighbours good, so no it's not rubbish. If the owners of the other dogs won't keep them off her land and she doesn't want to go to the authorities then what else can she do?

Did I suggest he was being responsible with his dogs at all? Did you neglect to read the post where the OP said she doesn't want to call the guards?

ya, a bit expensive (it would cost thousands to wall in the whole 3/4 acre),and all because the fella next door can't control his animals. I took the lads to school one morning, didn't think about closing the gate (didn't think I had to) came home from the school, and 2 of his bullocks were in my front yard. They got loose and were out around the yard.

mitosis wrote: »

I might invest in a pellet gun not to shoot it at them, but to shoot it to frighten them away. Hubby is afraid with the kids out playing. Those sheepdogs are big!!

I know well that with him, he'd be the type to tell me he'll sort it out....but never will. Which is grand for now...my dog today, childs eye tomorrow. I'll stay aware of whats going on in the yard, and have my chat with the postman. If nothing changes, then I'll go a step further then.

(I don't want anyone getting into trouble here cos of a question I posted )

I might invest in a pellet gun not to shoot it at them, but to shoot it to frighten them away. Hubby is afraid with the kids out playing. Those sheepdogs are big!!

I know well that with him, he'd be the type to tell me he'll sort it out....but never will. Which is grand for now...my dog today, childs eye tomorrow. I'll stay aware of whats going on in the yard, and have my chat with the postman. If nothing changes, then I'll go a step further then.

(I don't want anyone getting into trouble here cos of a question I posted )

OP you can't, and shouldn't have to, stand guard all day waiting for the dogs to arrive. It looks like you will have to make a decision to either get tough with the neighbour and tell him that his animals are not to be on your land, or else you will have to improve your fencing. Unfair as that is.

My own parents house is on an acre, they have half of it with normal fencing and the area directly behind the house has better fencing which keeps their pet dog and chickens in, and their neighbours dogs out (similar problem only neighbour has one of those stupid shock collars so their dogs are often around my parents house). A gate allows them to give the dog free reign when they're out and about the yard, but keeps him safe when it's just toilet time and he's out alone.

The op just said that they didn't want to get the warden involved and would like to keep relations between neighbours good, so no it's not rubbish. If the owners of the other dogs won't keep them off her land and she doesn't want to go to the authorities then what else can she do?

Did I suggest he was being responsible with his dogs at all? Did you neglect to read the post where the OP said she doesn't want to call the guards?

so the op has to pay for something that she didn't cause or bring on. yes imo it is rubbish.
    speak to the owner nicely. call the Warden call the gardai. in that order.
    I'm sorry but being "nice" to a neighbor who's four dogs are terrifying her own dogs doesn't cut it imo

crazygeryy wrote: »
    so the op has to pay for something that she didn't cause or bring on. yes imo it is rubbish.
    speak to the owner nicely. call the Warden call the gardai. in that order.
    I'm sorry but being "nice" to a neighbor who's four dogs are terrifying her own dogs doesn't cut it imo

I'm not suggesting she be nice. The OP said
    What can I do? I don't wanna have to ring the guards on him, cos i plan to stay here, and dont want bad blood.

In which case she doesn't have much choice but to secure the garden herself. Personally I'd let the neighbour know it's not on, but as the OP doesn't want to do that I'd suggest she make her garden as safe as possible for her dog and her kids.

CrazyGeryy why not actually read what the OP said and how I responded before you tell me what I said is rubbish. She said she doesn't want to call the guards and you suggest she...... calls the guards? And what I said is rubbish? At least I read the OP and am trying to suggest things the OP didn't expressly say she wanted to avoid.

I'm not suggesting she be nice. The OP said

In which case she doesn't have much choice but to secure the garden herself. Personally I'd let the neighbour know it's not on, but as the OP doesn't want to do that I'd suggest she make her garden as safe as possible for her dog and her kids.

CrazyGeryy why not actually read what the OP said and how I responded before you tell me what I said is rubbish. She said she doesn't want to call the guards and you suggest she...... calls the guards? And what I said is rubbish? At least I read the OP and am trying to suggest things the OP didn't expressly say she wanted to avoid.

I said from beginning the fencing suggestion is rubbish imo.and the rest is what i would do in that order.
    everything else you said is your own opinion and i did not say it was rubbish.
    i don't believe she has any other choice but to get tough with the guy as in doing the things i suggested.
    I'm done arguing with you.

good luck with it op.

Good to hear!

OP I would really strongly suggest not getting a pellet gun. The dogs might decide that your garden is a place to be on guard and aggressive, it could well make he problem worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't wanna have to ring the guards on him, cos i plan to stay here, and dont want bad blood.
    Bad blood? The farmer doesn't seem to give two f**ks about you, your property, or your children.

the_syco wrote: »
    Bad blood? The farmer doesn't seem to give two f**ks about you, your property, or your children.

Ya, it's certainly looking that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 SureHome.ie

To play devils advocate for a minute,You havnt actually spoke to the neighbour yet so I it's unfair to assume how he will react( even if you're probably right) .

I think you should call into him and tell him the problem and that he needs to keeps his dogs under control . If he says no or if he says yes and then doesn't bother you have no choice but to contact any local authorities that can sort it for you.

Advertisement