Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euromillions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Siblings, parents, in-laws, mates, all subject to gift tax. Tax man has you by the cahonas. Nothing for it then to keep it all yourself.

I decided to give each of em 3 million so they'd clear over 2 million after tax. Them paying their taxes is nothin to do with me. Theyre the ones liable to the gift tax. Tax man wouldnt have me by anything. I'd be payin almost a million in taxes every year myself, sure I live here, I have to help out :D

ACV

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

As monty burns says ''i'd gladly give it all away.....for just a little bit more''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

McChubbin wrote: »
    I'd buy a nice house for my brother so he wouldn't have to worry about his rent anymore, give him about €20 million so he could live in comfort for the rest of his life. Another €20 million would go to my parents for putting up with me, then a few million to the few relations that aren't total dicks. After that I'd use the remaining monies to do the following:

Buy a small deserted island in a remote and trecherous part of the Pacific ocean, rig it up with cameras and Saw-style horrors and kidnap my father, strand him on the island with just enough basic supplies to last for a week and a gun with one bullet. Let him know true abandonment. Then, about halfway into the week, kidnap my stepmother and throw her out of the plane with a timer-operated parachute, again armed with only a few mergre supplies and a blunt weapon.
    Slowly but surely, I would introduce elements of surprise like wild animals, traps and mind-games until they get to the point where they end up contemplating killing each other. Right when they've lost all hope I'll show up on a monitor, inform them that they've taken their punishment well and that if they can find it by night fall, a helicopter will be waiting in the darkest, dangerous parts of the middle of the island to take them to safety.
    I would then give them each one million to never contact me again and stay out of my life or face being left on the island once more for the rest of their sad, pathetic lives.

Next, massive holiday going all over the world. I'd buy a house in Barcelona, Tokyo and a penthouse in New York then pay Tom Hiddleston to be my naked, poetry reciting butler.

Not going there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'd buy 365 pairs of socks. A new pair everyday. Unreal.

Save the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

With all those money, I still wouldn't pay the HHC on my existing house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Carry out various Balotelli related gestures/deeds every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Id make sure that all my family are looked after comfortably and give a chunk to charity

Next I think I'd start Globe trotting for a while with a couple of close mates. Start in NY, get bored of that on to Vegas, tired of that scene LA next, I heard Toyko's cool let's check it out etc etc all the while living it up coke and hookers style.

After about a year of that I'd probably set up some kind of venture capital fund for small business just to keep at something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

If I won the Euromillions, I would start up a chain of shops like Spar except run them on the same lines as the 1/2EURO shops.

Never mind a Super Club, I would rent a warehouse down the docks, buy about 20 buses to collect people from all over Dublin, run some serious club nights apply for a late license (the 4am/5am one) start a Mega Club. No admission fee, cheap drink, give it a few years see if it turns a profit , give it a budget of 25/30 million over 4/5 years.

Basically I would try break into industry's that are ripping me off on a daily basis just to get some revenge on them.

Then just the usual stuff, look after friends and family fairly well, I would also do a secret millionaire sort of thing and give out money to what I feel deserves it/needs it.

Oh yeah and try and start a Capital FM style radio station for Ireland, with hardly any presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

One thing money can't buy you is class folks :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

216,000,000 Dollars, and a one way ticket to the big apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

i'd invest in property , they aint making any more of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would make a donation to rehab and barnardos, they need the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I would buy everything on this site. EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'd spent the next 10 years giving away €150,000,000 of it.
    Disgraceful amount of money to give to one person.
    I think huge jackpots like that would be better if given to lots of people. Say 1,000 people get €170,000 or (does maths on fingers) 100 people get €1.7 million. That's more than enough for any one person. Not that I'd begrudge anyone who has won similar amounts or whoever wins this, best of luck to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Really, i would give most of it away to charity, if you could not make it in the world with a starting figure of lets say 5million then you have some issues. 170m would be wasted on any one person not used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Think of the interest that money would make! Somewhere about €10,000 every day if my very rough guesstimations are correct... The changes you could make to people's lives just by handing your daily €10k out to somebody deserving. You could give homeless people say, a month's hostel accomodation, vouchers for the likes of Dunnes to buy decent clothes for interviews and work and the like, as well as food obviously, and help them get back on their feet with a job and lodgings. You could actually set up a shelter that does that. Loads of cool stuff you could achieve with hardly any effect on your lump sum! I think the vast majority of it would get invested, there is absolutely no reason why anyone would need that much money and I wouldn't want it to make my future children lazy and unambitious - learning the value of money through working and periods of being broke etc is quite important I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Buy a couple of houses, go on a well needed long holiday, hell, I might even ask NASA or the Russians to take me to space and back :)

Though I may start up my own charity to deal with the problems or try to deal with issues close to my heart knowing that most if not all of the money will go to the issues that I've up the charity for will go to the issues and not to backhand pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

€170 million, I'd make a good weekend out of it.

Firstly, head on down to the local undertaker and buy five top of the range flashy funerals (if I'm going down partying, I'm taking people with me).

Then earnestly start my research project of crossbreeding Giraffes with Crocadiles. My Crocaraffe/Girafadile will be the nearest thing to a dinosaur anyone has ever seen and the theme park will be magnificent.

And of course by a packet of Hersheys Reese Peanut Butter Cups. I love those little fúckers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Start a miss bikini project like they have in Russia. It's a bit like the X-Factor for people who aren't quears.

First stop, top floor of Arnotts for a nice big couch......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I like how some people's first reaction is who they would like to give money to :).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tell no one but my family.

Buy a house, buy a car, go on holiday, buy a few holiday homes. Give money to the parents and the siblings. Give them a laser/credit card based on whatever account I have the money in.

Enjoy life.

Probably go to college to be honest, give a horde of money to an animal welfare charity or something.

Too much money to win. I'm young and single. That sort of money would ruin my life.

Then when I meet someone and get married and make him work his arse off for a few years in his job to keep our happy bubble 'going'. Tell him then. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

GoIreland.com on the facebook are giving away their potential winnings if you ''like'' their picture or whatever. €170m gamble for free? Seems legit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

You lot are just fantasists. None of you will win because I will win later tonight.

I will be treading carefully initially. I will be giving some to mine and the wife's family but there's a lot of them. Eight siblings on her side, five on mine. That's a lot of money. Plus she'll want to give some to some of teh cousins. If done properly you can avoid paying too much tax. Remember you don't have to give them millions up front.

The first thing I'll be doing is figuring out a way of avoiding anyone finding out it was me. The press will be staking out the Lottery headquarters tomorrow. But my idea is to hire a bunch of movie extras, give them a lotto ticket each and have them arrive simultaneously and pretend they're the winner. In all the confusion, I'll slip in disguised as a .........that would be telling!

After that I'll take time out to think. First thing I'll do is read the Winners brochure from the National Lottery. Here it is:

http://www.lottery.ie/Documents/pdfs/WINNERS_BOOK_Lowres3.pdf

I'll certainly be buying a few houses and some nice cars. Not really a Ferrari fan. Nothing too showy. Because I'm a pilot people think I'll buy planes but most likely I'll just rent a jet when I need one. I won't even fly it myself. Private jets are ridiculously expensive to run even when you're mega rich like I'll be tomorrow. Much better to have one on call.

Not sure about a luxury yacht either. Probably just rent one in the South of France.

Will definitely have a place in Malibu.

The downside is that my family will be a target for blackmail and kidnap. So I might have to hire protection. But I know a few ex military types I can hire.

That's all I'm saying because you lot will be sending me begging PMs tomorrow if I'm not careful. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

First I call mine and his siblings and parents. We all sign off on an agreement that they get so much and we get so much, we back date it and claim the prize as a family. That avoids gift tax :D

I'd want no one else to know and instead would announce we'd won a much smaller amount on the Irish Lottery cause otherwise people are suspicious. Then with the interest I'd pay off our mortgage, then help out our besties without them knowing who was doing it. Then once those close to us are taken care of I'd work with charities, take lots of holidays, and try to be a good person. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Why do I always think il win the lotto and im always disappointed with the results?

And what would people do with their cousins? I never see them and I have at least 30 of them. Even giving them a million each is a big drop. For people I never see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

170 million mmmm let me see , first i'd give to local charaties and help alot of ppl ,prob do something for the local youth and all etc
    as for myself ..... i'd turn on the gas heating and enjoy :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Siblings, parents, in-laws, mates, all subject to gift tax. Tax man has you by the cahonas. Nothing for it then to keep it all yourself.

Fairly hefty the tax for brothers and sisters.
    In general it is the relationship between the two parties that dictates the exempt amount as follows:

Group 1 Gift or Inheritance to Son/Daughter or minor child of Deceased child Tax Free amount is €250,000 for each Son or Daughter

Group 2 Other lineal ancestor - Brother, Sister or child of deceased brother or sister €33,208

Group 3 Others €16,604

Gifts and Inheritances that exceed the Threshold Amounts are subject to Capital Acquisitions Tax at 30%

The above are lifetime limits for each threshold. In addition there is an additional €3,000 gift exemption available each year.

So €20mill to a sibling would mean they have to pay the squanderers in Leinster House €5,990,037 in tax. I think I just arrange to get a suitcase full of cash and give it to them and say come back to me when it needs refilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'd buy a limitless, 1st class, round the world ticket and hope that the wife appreciates the thought I put in to that present for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Instead of giving away lump sums to family members could you not have a bank account that a proportion of the interest goes into every month and give them all bank cards and let them at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tell no one but my family.

Buy a house, buy a car, go on holiday, buy a few holiday homes. Give money to the parents and the siblings. Give them a laser/credit card based on whatever account I have the money in.

Enjoy life.

Probably go to college to be honest, give a horde of money to an animal welfare charity or something.

Too much money to win. I'm young and single. That sort of money would ruin my life.

Then when I meet someone and get married and make him work his arse off for a few years in his job to keep our happy bubble 'going'. Tell him then. :pac:

lol some people are so brain washed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'd buy myself a fur coat and a crown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I'd buy myself a fur coat and a crown

And a throne, you willl need a throne.

Don't forget a castle and a palace, you could charge tenants a premium to stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

groovie wrote: »
    And a throne, you willl need a throne.

I think he is missing his gold staf, diamond encrusted obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Solid gold racecar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

listermint wrote: »
    I think he is missing his gold staf, diamond encrusted obviously.

Is that like a sceptre so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Solid gold racecar.

Wouldn't be very racey, what with being solid gold an all

I'd buy the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

groovie wrote: »
    Is that like a sceptre so?

You win the item name calling game...

..this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I would use it help build a new stadium for Liverpool but they can only employ irish builders!!!
    I would spend more building statutes of myself at every crossroad in ireland.
    Billboards of me on every 2nd building

I like me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

What would ye do with 170,000,000 ?

ACV

I think I'd just have one really good night.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

So heres how I'll divvy up my 170 million after I win it tomorrow night.....
    Parents: 5,000,000

Wifes Parents: 5,000,000

Mate who I'm in a syndicate with for the ordinary lotto but not Euromillions: 5,000,000.

Siblings (8 of em!): 3,000,000 each x 8 = 24,000,000

Wifes Siblings (only 3!) : 3,000,000 x 3 = 9,000,000

Mates who I've promised a digout if I win: 3,000,000 x 7 = 21,000,000

Local soccer club (long story): 3,000,000

Total Giveaway: 72,000,000.

Balance Remaining: 98,000,000
    Pocket Money: 8,000,000, (Cars, Houses, Piss ups etc)

Invest the remaining 90,000,000 in govt savings scheme at 3% pa.
    Less P.R.S.I. @ 4% and D.I.R.T. @30% on the earnings
    Total Net earnings would be 1,782,000 per annum
    Net per month earnings: 148,500. (with the 90,000,000 still in the bank!)

What would ye do with 170,000,000 ?

ACV

not a penny to charity???? wow,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

I would set up a foundation to help with homelessness and giving children from deprived areas a chance of university education.
    These are close to my heart as I have experienced both.

I would get a load of still cameras and produce my own Matrix movie, just hope Carrie Anne Moss would be interested in that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 MatthewWC

170m euro...

Id sort my immediate family out as well as my wife's.

Id buy my first house, couple of nice cars, private box at old trafford (season ticket)

Sort my true mates out, a fair few charities

Visit all the places i wanna see and buy the stuff ive always wanted... even the small things,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Gmol wrote: »
    I would use it help build a new stadium for Liverpool but they can only employ irish builders!!!
    I would spend more building statutes of myself at every crossroad in ireland.
    Billboards of me on every 2nd building

I like me

If we share it, i`m going to have a massive game of paint ball, with the targets being your statues and billboards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Not going to be a problem spending it for any of us tonight anyway, 1 winner in france scoops the jackpot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

gustafo wrote: »
    Not going to be a problem spending it for any of us tonight anyway, 1 winner in france scoops the jackpot.

Sacre bleu!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Loads of people keep saying that they wouldnt tell anyone. Its a condition of Euromillions that you go public so that idea is off the cards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement