Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Network Monitoring

Options
  • 12-11-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Have a wifi network in the house but would like to keep an eye on my lodgers usage, re: Downloads.....
    What would be the best (preferably free) program to use?

Regards

HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ask your local HSE office, they may run a rehabilitation program for nosey landlords.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Any more unhelpful replys and infractions will be handed out. Stick to answering the op or don't bother replying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi All
    Have a wifi network in the house but would like to keep an eye on my lodgers usage, re: Downloads.....
    What would be the best (preferably free) program to use?

Regards

HB

You'll need a decent router for that, what router do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

wireshark is a program you should look at, but op, you're getting into some dangerous territory, if I were you I would drop this here because monitoring other peoples internet use is wrong, and a serious breach of trust and intrusion into their lives.

You'll be able to see all of the traffic going in and out of your router with wireshark though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I think it's fair to assume OP wants to monitor the amount of bandwidth being used by each person in the house, which is not unreasonable if folks know this is being monitored. If I wanted to go down this route I'd be looking for routers that allow me to allocatee and limit bandwidth to it's clients. Actually snooping on what folks are doing on the internet is obviously not OK unless you are their parent/guardian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Who's paying the bill?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What exactly do you mean by "keeping an eye on their usage"? If you mean the amount of data that's used then that's okay but if you're referring to spying on what they get up to on the internet, that would be wrong and I'd advise you to steer well clear of that

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by "keeping an eye on their usage"? If you mean the amount of data that's used then that's okay but if you're referring to spying on what they get up to on the internet, that would be wrong and I'd advise you to steer well clear of that

Agreed here. I also assume OP wants to identify the heavier downloaders not out of maliciousness but just in case the bill has extra for going over the limit.
    Mod Note: Lets not have any discussion on how to monitor the internet, just how to monitor the bandwidth among the users

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I misinterpreted the question and gave info on how to monitor specific browsing usage. oops.

There are a few custom firmwares for popular routers going around that add a lot of functionality that the OP is looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyle_(router_firmware)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hey All
    Think I might have not made myself clear.
    I was not wanting to monitor the internet itself, just the downloaded files sizes to see whos responsible for over-excessive downloading :)
    They will be aware of course, will tell them.
    Will be handy for all to know that we're near our limit and need to be careful

HB

• Advertisement
Advertisement