Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight trip from USA to Canada and back

Options
  • 12-11-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

I'm going on holidays to the US in January, seeing Washington DC, Niagara Falls and New York City. The plan is to fly from DC to Niagara Falls, then from Niagara Falls to NYC.

I booked my hotels a few months ago, and just looking at the confirmations now I've realised I accidentally booked a hotel that's on the Canadian side of the border, not the American one. I'm an idiot, I know.

Does anybody know if a) I'm likely to have any trouble getting from Niagara Falls airport in the USA into Canada and back again on foot the next morning with all my baggage, and b) if I need any special visa to go into Canada? I'm an Irish citizen and I have my ETSA for travel to the USA already. I'd planned to stay on the American side and am a bit worried now that I've got my hotels mixed up.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Antilles wrote: »
    I'm going on holidays to the US in January, seeing Washington DC, Niagara Falls and New York City. The plan is to fly from DC to Niagara Falls, then from Niagara Falls to NYC.

I booked my hotels a few months ago, and just looking at the confirmations now I've realised I accidentally booked a hotel that's on the Canadian side of the border, not the American one. I'm an idiot, I know.

Does anybody know if a) I'm likely to have any trouble getting from Niagara Falls airport in the USA into Canada and back again on foot the next morning with all my baggage, and b) if I need any special visa to go into Canada? I'm an Irish citizen and I have my ETSA for travel to the USA already. I'd planned to stay on the American side and am a bit worried now that I've got my hotels mixed up.

Thanks!

You will be fine
    Just make sure you bring proof of return journey to Ireland when entering Canada and again when re-entering USA on the bridge

You were right to book a hotel on the Canadian side too by the way, the Canadian side is better than the US one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

+1 on you'll be fine.

Its a good opportunity to experience a different country as well, even if only for a night.

We go up to Canada for short trips a lot from Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

You'll be fine!! Walked that bridge a couple of times during the summer. Was staying on the US side and went out at night on the Canadian side. No extra visa needed for Canada and you'll be fine with your Esta going back into the US. I think you have to pay 50c each time you cross and the machine doesn't take notes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

That's fantastic, thanks everyone. I was a bit worried we'd have problems coming back from Canada. Panic over! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

It'll be grand.....just bring your reservation for the hotels back in the US to show at the Canadian border (to show them that you'll be returning to the US)

And your flight confirmation to show to the US guys on the way back over to show that you'll be leaving the US again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Antilles wrote: »

Does anybody know if a) I'm likely to have any trouble getting from Niagara Falls airport in the USA into Canada and back again on foot the next morning with all my baggage

Thanks!

thats a 10 mile walk :eek:
    or did you mean just crossing the bridge on foot? :D

Advertisement