Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overnight trip from USA to Canada and back

Options
  • 12-11-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

I'm going on holidays to the US in January, seeing Washington DC, Niagara Falls and New York City. The plan is to fly from DC to Niagara Falls, then from Niagara Falls to NYC.

I booked my hotels a few months ago, and just looking at the confirmations now I've realised I accidentally booked a hotel that's on the Canadian side of the border, not the American one. I'm an idiot, I know.

Does anybody know if a) I'm likely to have any trouble getting from Niagara Falls airport in the USA into Canada and back again on foot the next morning with all my baggage, and b) if I need any special visa to go into Canada? I'm an Irish citizen and I have my ETSA for travel to the USA already. I'd planned to stay on the American side and am a bit worried now that I've got my hotels mixed up.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Antilles wrote: »
    I'm going on holidays to the US in January, seeing Washington DC, Niagara Falls and New York City. The plan is to fly from DC to Niagara Falls, then from Niagara Falls to NYC.

I booked my hotels a few months ago, and just looking at the confirmations now I've realised I accidentally booked a hotel that's on the Canadian side of the border, not the American one. I'm an idiot, I know.

Does anybody know if a) I'm likely to have any trouble getting from Niagara Falls airport in the USA into Canada and back again on foot the next morning with all my baggage, and b) if I need any special visa to go into Canada? I'm an Irish citizen and I have my ETSA for travel to the USA already. I'd planned to stay on the American side and am a bit worried now that I've got my hotels mixed up.

Thanks!

Check the cancellation policy and see if you will be charged or not

if not then cancel and book a different hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Antilles wrote: »

Thanks!

You don't need a visa to go to Canada. You pass through immigration in Canada and they'll ask you your reason for visiting - just say tourist, and that should be sufficient. Similarly when you cross back, there shouldn't be any problem on the US side as long as you have your return flights out. Having said that, last time I crossed at Niagara was in '99, and the US weren't quite as paranoid back then.

The Canadian city is much nicer anyway, so even if you decide to cancel your stay in the US city, I'd recommend heading across regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Thanks Maggy, that seems to be the general consensus!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

When you cross to the Canadian side, just make sure you have proof of your return flight home to Ireland and confirmation of your reservation at the Canadian hotel. You shouldn't have any issues with boarder crossing, but having those items will make it that much easier for you to sail through.

The Canadian side is waaaaaaay nicer than the American side. The American side has tumbleweed blowing through it. However, there's some wicked outlet shopping at Prime outlet mall off Fashion Blvd on the American Side. It has Burberry, Barneys, Saks off Fifth Avenue, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, etc, etc. They get decent stock because of the number of Canadians that now go to shop there due to the low value of the American dollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Also - two things you should remember:

The American side of Niagara Falls - is known to be a rougher area.

And

Niagara falls in January is frigging cold. Like, really, really cold. Can barely stay outside long enough to enjoy the falls cold. Niagara falls freezes over cold (it's still a really beautiful sight though). Dress warm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement