Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canvas prints: what's minimum resolution per sq. foot?

• 12-11-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting some movie posters only printed on canvas, so was wondering what's the minimum resolution I need? I've seen a figure of 150 ppi mentions as sufficient for posters; does that mean a 1500 x 1000 image (1500000 pixels) say, would be acceptable for anything up to a 100' x 100' canvas? (I wouldn't be even going for anything that big - probably 48' x 36' max.)

Also, any bargain canvas printers would be appreciated....

P.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a 1500x1500px image would be good for 10" x 10" print at 150dpi.

where are you sourcing the images?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I've seen some on http://www.movieposterdb.com/ I'm interested in...

P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you may have a problem with some print shops refusing to print what is probably copyrighted material.
    any you would get at the resolution you are looking for would be visibly pixellated from anywhere near to them - 1000 pixels across 36 inches is 27dpi, i.e. about one thirtieth the recommended resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

you may have a problem with some print shops refusing to print what is probably copyrighted material.
    any you would get at the resolution you are looking for would be visibly pixellated from anywhere near to them - 1000 pixels across 36 inches is 27dpi, i.e. about one thirtieth the recommended resolution.

On the first point, I was going to use vintage posters (< 1915) so was presuming they were out of copyright. Would double-check that.

On the second, does that mean dpi is not a square measurement? So 150 dpi actually means 150 dots along an inch - that is, 150 x 150 dots per _square_ inch? If so, ah.

P.

yep, 150 dpi would imply 22,500 pixels per square inch.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 13 rdsatapa

Many canvas printers print at 200 dpi, but for most images and larger canvases which are usually seen from a distance you should be fine with 150 dpi. Here a photo canvas printer review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

actual canvas prints might not be the best option for something like this

the posters were never designed for it, canvas tends to soften an image a little

as for canvas printers printing at 200 ppi, well i would suggest you print as high as possible, so for example i print at 360ppi.

BUT

for large images - i have printed canvas 12Ft*4Ft, they were printed at 180ppi

Advertisement