Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe beaches on Howth Head

Options
  • 12-11-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

A friend and I recently had a most enjoyable walk on the Howth cliff path, which goes past a number of lovely little rocky coves.

We have resolved to return to the path next Summer, when we also hope to bring a picnic and swimming trunks.

Does anyone know which beaches/coves are Ok for swimming, or if not, does anyone know somewhere that has such information?

Many thanks,

Boulevardier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The most popular beach is here: http://binged.it/Uk3hUA - there are life guards during peak times. Be aware of currents.

http://binged.it/RPnjJD and here are also used: http://binged.it/Uk62Fl but much quieter and no life guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 beehive

Be careful. The coves you talk about look beautiful but can be treacherous. That's why you don't see swimmers there. And it's why dozens of boats have gone down in the dangerous currents off those rocks. Stick to the popular diving area at Red Rock or, as suggested above, to the beach at Sutton, also prone to strong tidal changes but at least monitored by lifeguards at the Burrow Beach end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79611532&postcount=6

Also Balscadden Beach at the far end of the harbour.

Careful on the sandy beaches on the north side of Howth, the tides can be lethal, especially ebbing/going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Thanks for these answers, they are useful.

Sutton and Balscadden look good for swimming but they are very un-secluded, and we are most interested in the small South-facing coves.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

There's a beach to the North (left) of the Bailey Lighthouse, I've swam there often enough and had no problems with currents or anything. When swimming just swim straight out from the middle of the beach, to avoid any low-lying underwater rocks etc. It's a cool and very secluded place to swim as you have to follow a narrow, hidden path all the way down to the beach. I wouldn't swim so far out that you are exposed to the flow of water around the head but it's a pretty big bay there (it's called whitewater brook bay) so you can have a good swim. Sometimes a seal will come up beside you.

Beyond the Bailey is a rocky promontory called Lion's Head which must be accessed with great care down the side of the cliff, holding onto the rope provided for safety. It's possible to swim there at low tide but high tide (and when calm) is best as you can jump from a height into deep water. Be careful here, swimming the water before jumping from a height into it, as there are rocks in places. There's a cave there you can swim into but I wouldn't advise it unless the water is flat calm. I would consider this a place for more advanced swimmers, it's certainly not family friendly or for someone who isn't ok out of their depth. But of course if you're going to go 'wild swimming' in a secluded spot without a lifeguard you will want to be a competent, confident swimmer in any case.

The next beach after that isn't good for swimming, very rocky underfoot so not good for swimming out from.

Further along the cliff path, there's 1 or 2 other beaches that I would consider safe for swimming, it helps that they are beyond the strong flow of a current i.e. not near where water rounds the headland ; places to beware of are where there's a tidal flow like an estuary or between a headland and an island - this is the case with Sutton beach that was mentioned earlier in the thread, there's a strong pull there to avoid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement