Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ordering iPad from US to deliver in US with Irish CC

• 12-11-2012 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does the US apple web store allow you to place an order (for an iPad) with an Irish credit card for delivery in the US?

The order would originate from Ireland (i.e. Irish ISP etc).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No it doesn't. You also might be caught with import duty. If your trying to save a few quid buy from the apple refurb store here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

No it doesn't. You also might be caught with import duty. If your trying to save a few quid buy from the apple refurb store here in Ireland.

How would he get caught for import duty if it is being delivered to the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Maestro84 wrote: »
    How would he get caught for import duty if it is being delivered to the US?

Yeah wouldn't get caught like that but apple US won't accept non us credit cards. I tried before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

You can order off Amazon US using an Irish CC and deliver to a US address. They do sell iPads and usually price is similar to the Apple store so it might be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

New iPad (4th gen) 16GB available from Tesco for €479 (€30 cheaper that Apple store).
    http://www.tesco.ie/ipad/
    Seems like a strange move for Apple, but anything that gets a price cut ...I'm all for it! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

New iPad (4th gen) 16GB available from Tesco for €479 (€30 cheaper that Apple store).
    Seems like a strange move for Apple, but anything that gets a price cut ...I'm all for it! :D

Is that the old iPad?

I thought the iPad 4 had an A6 processor?

Quote from tesco site :
    Dual-core A5X chi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its an iPad 3 that tesco are selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

I tried ordering for delivery to a US address with my Irish CC back in May. Apple will only accept orders from a credit card with a valid US billing address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

kceire wrote: »
    Is that the old iPad?

I thought the iPad 4 had an A6 processor?

Quote from tesco site :

my bad ....would have been simpler if they just kept the numbers! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

I ordered a MacBook Pro from the apple US store last month with my Irish credit card - there's no harm in trying it. I got it sent to my friends house in Boston and he brought it home last week when h was coming over so there's no harm in trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Yes you CAN do this. I'm typing this message on an Macbook Pro that was bought in the manner described from the US online Apple store with an Irish VISA card. There's a knack to it, which is why I guess some people have been unsuccessful in the past.

Steps:

1. Pick a computer - add to basket on USA Apple site. Note down the total cost.
    2. Call your credit card company in Ireland and tell them to expect a transaction request in that US Dollar amount to your credit card FROM APPLE.
    3. Inform your Irish credit card company that the transaction is a legitimate one and ask that they add the full USA delivery address for the computer as a secondary billing address to your credit card. They will take a note of this - if they call centre seem unsure, request a supervisor's assistance.
    3. Go back to the USA Apple Site and proceed to payment. Enter your Irish credit card number. Use the USA delivery Address to complete the transaction.

Seriously, this does work. The VISA rep (in Ireland) on the phone at the time that I did it informed me that Apple checks every order with them and that flagging it with VISA in advance smoothes this process. I cannot comment on the policy of other credit card companies, but I can tell you that I make frequent USD transactions on my Irish VISA card without difficulty.

Enjoy your computer - hope your friend/relative doesn't get stopped at customs at Dublin/Shannon on arrival (but I suppose they could always bin the packaging...)

Advertisement