Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying tickets

Options
  • 12-11-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

so im looking to buy tickets for a concert in the o2 from donedeal, im just wondering is there anyway i could be scammed or a chance that people could be selling fake tickets?
    thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Always the chance you'll be scammed unfortunately.
    It's the reality when buying anything thes days. Pretty sure there are guidelines up on adverts and the like about how best to ensure everything is legit.
    Avoid meeting in carparks etc, Try call to person's house, so you somewhere to go if you want to follow up.
    Check any sort of feedback available on websites (not sure if DD has this).
    Try get a general feel for the person when speaking to them on phone; if you think it's iffy, walk away.
    Look up whatever holograms and stuff should be on the tickets and do your best to verify they are genuine before handing over cash.
    I still definitely believe there are decent people, selling stuff for real reasons, and hopefully for fair prices. There will always be people who will take advantage of these systems too though.

Good luck, Buyer Beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Always the chance you'll be scammed unfortunately.
    It's the reality when buying anything thes days. Pretty sure there are guidelines up on adverts and the like about how best to ensure everything is legit.
    Avoid meeting in carparks etc, Try call to person's house, so you somewhere to go if you want to follow up.
    Check any sort of feedback available on websites (not sure if DD has this).
    Try get a general feel for the person when speaking to them on phone; if you think it's iffy, walk away.
    Look up whatever holograms and stuff should be on the tickets and do your best to verify they are genuine before handing over cash.
    I still definitely believe there are decent people, selling stuff for real reasons, and hopefully for fair prices. There will always be people who will take advantage of these systems too though.

Good luck, Buyer Beware!

thanks very much for the advice hopefully there will be some tickets available in the first place :p. how would i find out what holograms are on the tickets to make sure theyre legit?
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

All ticketmaster tickets have a small circular ticketmaster hologram on the perforated line between the stub and the main ticket. It changes semi-frequently but as long as there is a hologram there you're probably looking at the real deal.

However the vast majority of ticket fraud doesn't use fake tickets. They use actual tickets that have been cancelled or they use print out tickets that have been sold on to several other people and there is no way of visually verifying that as the tickets are legit tickets it is just the barcode that is invalid. This gets scanned at the gate and if it has already been scanned or has been marked as a cancelled ticket then you won't get in.

I run a reselling website and our general recommendation is that you meet people in person, in a public place with CCTV, and request they bring ID with evidence that the tickets were bought by them. Nothing is a guarantee but the majority of people who are looking to profit on ticket fraud aren't going to bother dealing with the hassle of making fake passports, utility bills and going to public places.

The most common form of fraud we've seen is people asking for money to be deposited in an account on the promise to send on tickets on receipt (which they don't). The greater the amount of trust you've to put in a stranger the more likely someone will try and abuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What tickets you lookin at OP?

Also try adverts.ie, still not 100% safe but a lot safer IMO than the likes of donedeal.

If i was buying tickets on adverts (which i have, i've also sold), then to me, a persons post count on here goes a long way. If it's quite high, then IMO you're less likely to get burned

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Very often people selling tickets are going to the gig too (a person has pulled out last minute or whatever). In this case you can ask to meet them outside and go in with them so they are with you when being scanned by the bouncers.

If they act wary about this request you know something is up.

If they are not heading in at the same time you can meet them early when doors open and ask them to scan only yours, some smaller venues will let you back out with a stamp. I imagine if you told bouncers the situation they might be able to scan it to verify it is ok and let you head off to the pub with the ticket intact, and not registered as having gone in yet. I think I might have done this once (tipsy!).

I got tickets on ebay I was dubious about, they were print out pdf ones. I rang ticketmaster and they at least verified the reference number was genuine and no other calls/inquiries had been made about them, he seemed wary to give even that info out though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

thanks very much for all the help, if i do get some ill be sure too make sure theyre legit now. its ed sheeran that im hoping to go to and hopefully there will be some tickets around the place :)
    thanks again

Advertisement