Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beauty on a Budget

• 12-11-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭

So, I'm saving for a weekend away in London and hols to America next year and have decided to try and cut back on my make up expenditure! I thought it would be a good idea for a thread to suggest "thrifty" alternatives to much loved (though quite expensive) products.

Here are some of my faves:

1. Maybelline's Gel liner instead of Bobbi Brown liner: This is about 11/12 euros and it comes with a brush which I'll admit isn't wonderful. However, the gel itself is absolutely brill. Just as good as the Bobbi Brown one which I usually purchase. Super easy to use, intense black colour and lasts absolutely AGES without getting flakey or drying out.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cwT2UeIu3fU/T0Elx0dxYOI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/FnUpiuWzvrs/s1600/kiuytfcvbn.jpg

2. Rimmel Lipsticks instead of MAC: I LOVE MAC lipsticks, especially their cremesheen ones. I think their colour intesity is brill and they're so moisturising! Favourite is Coral Promise. Lately, I've been super impressed with Rimmel's lipsticks, particularly their new Kate Moss range. I think they retail for around 4/5 euros. There's only five or six colours but there's a good range. I particularly like "alarm". It's a great classic red. Also, you can get them in TESCO!! So easy to pick up when you're doing the food shop!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-F3H4rt7b7xs/UHW4wtYYywI/AAAAAAAAfhk/NbEZxS5GCXc/s1600/Kate+Moss+Rimmel+Matte+Lipsticks+Review+Swatches+Swatch+Photos+002.jpg

3. Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer instead of any of any other concealer ever. Seriously, never buy another concealer. Ever. Seriously.
    This is hands down one of the best beauty products I own. I will be repurchasing it forever. It retails at around 6 euros and I know not every pharmacy carries Collection 2000 but you can get it in boots. Even if this concealer cost more I would still have to purchase. It's better than MAC, Soap and Glory, Touch Eclat...everything. (In my humble opinion of course!)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PR6Bxdiw88A/TxL0cnOG2bI/AAAAAAAAAp8/iCaZF_UXq2M/s1600/lasting+perfection+concealer.jpg

I've got some more but thought I would just set the ball rolling and see if people like this idea for a thread. Let me know if you'd like anymore thrifty alternatives girls or, share any cheap and fantastic beauty products you've bought!
    X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

good thread! my cousin swears by CIEN facail mosturiser in Lidl.
    Up until lately was always buying Clarins moisturisers.
    Looks fine- don't see any more wrinkles on her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Inglot for eyeshadows, 6e or something for a refill.
    Sleek have amazing blushes.
    Also sleek for eyeshadow palettes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

There's a similar thread out there, with loads of ideas: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056634384

But to add the list I recently bought a bottle of baby oil to shave my legs with instead of shaving cream - less messy and cheaper. Apparently also keep the razor blade "fresher" iykwim

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Sleek Creme to Powder foundation (£7.99) instead of Benefit Play Sticks (£25)

Sleek Eyebrow Kit (£6.99) instead of Benefit brow Zings (£22.50)

I am telling you, there is no difference between these products apart from the price!! I am a big Sleek fan, I won't be buying expensive make up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I am telling you, there is no difference between these products apart from the price!! I am a big Sleek fan, I won't be buying expensive make up again.

I'd love to try the cream foundation. Is it suitable for oily skin do you think? Whats the colour range like? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I definitely agree with Maybelline gel liners, Collection concealer (the best for zits) and Inglot eyeshadows. Also;

Bourjois foundations: These are absolutely brilliant. Best budget foundations imho. I love my YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat but Healthy Mix from Bourjois is a very close second favourite.

Garnier Roll-on and Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer: Not a fan of the Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation or anything else from Garnier, but these two are pretty good for under eyes. I have horrible dark circles & tear troughs. My absolute favourite under eye concealer is Bobbi Brown corrector, which costs a fortune. And with every day use, I go through it awfully quickly. So I use either of these two for days when I have minimum human interaction :)

Rimmel primer: First, I thought it didn't do anything. But this works wonders. The best for prolonging any foundation's wear time. To be honest, I didn't have any luck with high end primers.

17 primer: I'm not a fan (of either) but the perfect dupe for the Smashbox primer.

Collection Cream Puffs: This is a lip cream. It is like a liquid lipstick. I LOVE it.

Catrice single eye shadows: The quality is very good. Very long lasting. Favourites are I Like to Mauve it, Golden Evergreen, My First Copperware Party and Oh It's Toffeeful.

Maybelline Colour Tattoo On and On Bronze: Some of the other shades suck (ahem the purple one, ahem) but this is a very good, neutral colour.

Loreal Colour Infaillible eye shadow in Sahara Treasure: Same as the Maybelline Colour Tattoos. Some shades suck. But the ones that are on the creamier side like the Sahara Treasure are very good.

Catrice eye brow kit: Simple kit but gets the job done.

ELF Cool Bronzer: A nice matte bronzer. Although the name is cool, it is suitable for warm toned skin as well. I'm warm toned and have no problem with it.

Bourjois Chocolate Bronzers: Another matte bronzer. It's hard to find a budget matte bronzer. Budget brands tend to overload their bronzers with shimmer and glitter -_-

Whew! That's all I can think of for now. But there are brilliant budget buys out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

kandr10 wrote: »
    I'd love to try the cream foundation. Is it suitable for oily skin do you think? Whats the colour range like? Thanks :)

I should think it would be suitable for most skin types. I would have combination skin myself.
    If you like pale colours then I think they may only have 2 or 3 pale shades- the one I get is called White Rose and there is one paler than that. White Rose is the exact shade of Benefit's "Spin the Bottle".

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

Fashionista Primer, €12 great dupe for smashbox primer, love it, you can buy in superdrug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

anything from nyx. I picked up a few bits in millies and have bought more as its amazing quality for the price. The dolls eyes mascara rocks and the bronzers are fab too.

Also essence nail polish - brilliant! Same with their lip glosses.

I recently had really dry skin from being outside in the cold and then in office in the heat so I bought forever living aloe moisturoising lotion its amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

The Catrice primer is great just as good as the more expensive ranges and it lasts a long time. You can't go wrong with Vaseline, great for taming eyebrows and has tons of other uses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Amber 123

Collection 2000 skyscraper mascara is great. Usually love Benefit's Bad Gal Lash and Lancome's Hypnose Drama. Can't remember the price of the Collection one but it's cheap!

Sugar as exfoliator. It's an old trick but a good one. Exactly the same (sometimes better than) any of those ones you buy.

Tesco have a skincare range called 'My Skin' that's super cheap. I think it's geared towards teenagers but, their scrubby facewash is very good. It's less than 2 euro I think.

My local 1.49 shop are selling Pearl Drops toothpaste at the moment which is fantastic for teeth whitening!

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Discovered the Creme to Powder foundation last weekend, it's a serious quality foundation.

My only gripe is I bought it a shade too dark but I'm definitely going to repurchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Where did you buy these, Ziegfieldgirl27?

Advertisement