Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunlop Sportmax Qualifiers

• 12-11-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

I've just seen a set of qualifiers for sale, brand new, asking price €170. I'm currently running Metzeler M5's & I plan on using them for some spirited riding, maybe a track day & the odd commute. How would the Dunlops be in comparison? At around half the price they seem like a good deal...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

sean61 wrote: »
    I've just seen a set of qualifiers for sale, brand new, asking price €170. I'm currently running Metzeler M5's & I plan on using them for some spirited riding, maybe a track day & the odd commute. How would the Dunlops be in comparison? At around half the price they seem like a good deal...

Had them on the sprint st 1050, they were fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Tyres are like helmets in that everyone has their own preference. Personally (and speaking from experience) Dunlops are sh!te. I'll never use them again!! I've found Bridgestones to be better. Pirelli are class too. But I don't want to put you off either. If you're trying to save a few quid and you'll only be using them now and then, it might be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Michelin Pilot Powers on the Duke and the Superduke and they're a brilliant tyre. Lot of confidence in them in the wet so I'd recommend them above anything else at the moment.

Michelin Pilot Powers on the Duke and the Superduke and they're a brilliant tyre. Lot of confidence in them in the wet so I'd recommend them above anything else at the moment.

Yeah, I've run Pilot Road and Pilot Powers on the ZX the last couple of years. Great tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yeah, I've run Pilot Road and Pilot Powers on the ZX the last couple of years. Great tyre.

I'm going over to Road III's on the R1100S very shortly, weird looking thread pattern but they're getting great review's everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Currently running the PR3's and they are a fantastic tyre in the wet, and thats coming from the PR2's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

Pilot powers do seem to get great reviews everywhere and I've been told by a few people that Dunlops are crap so I might just go with Michelin. Those road III's do look a bit weird tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I recently got a set of the Pirelli Angels, haven't been able to test them properly so far but from what i have done i am more confident with these. The wet grip and warm up time are suppose to be unreal

I recently got a set of the Pirelli Angels, haven't been able to test them properly so far but from what i have done i am more confident with these. The wet grip and warm up time are suppose to be unreal

When I was over in RPM talking to the lads, they said they have not sold too many PR3's (tad exspensive) but the Angels were flying out the door. So I would say they are a very good tyre.

TBH, most tyres are the same on a good dry day. Its the wet that a good tyre becomes a great tyre IMHO. ;)

Pilot powers do seem to get great reviews everywhere and I've been told by a few people that Dunlops are crap so I might just go with Michelin. Those road III's do look a bit weird tho!

Good choice, I bet you don't regret it!

Angels are fantastic tyres too! Mate of mine has them on his Thunderace and won't put anything else on. HE said once they're warmed up, he hasn't come across a grippier tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Been on PR3's a while now, perfect for our rainy weather, can't fault them, inital reaction was th they were really soft and I was worried that I wouldn't get much millage out of them, so far so good done about 4000 km and the only visible wear is a little bit on the side walls :D, centre seems to be holding up well.

I was on pirelli strada's before, they were great as well but not as good as PR3's in the wet.The only thing about the PR3's is that they take longer to warm up compared to the Strada's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Avon Storm 2s are a great sports touring tyre.

Scrap the cap!

Yeah, lad I go on spins with was running them on his blackbird....think he still is. Never a problem with them wet or dry.

Just an update here. I went for the new Bridgestone s20's in the end. I've had the rear for about 1500 miles now but only got the front 2 weeks ago. The grip is phenomenal! Only takes 2 mins for them to warm up and although I haven't done much riding in the rain, there was way more grip than the old metzelers had on a wet surface. The only problem is I'll be lucky to get 3000 from the rear so I probably will try something a bit longer lasting next time. I don't think I could find fault with the front though. Very confidence inspiring in the corners!

Just an update here. I went for the new Bridgestone s20's in the end. I've had the rear for about 1500 miles now but only got the front 2 weeks ago. The grip is phenomenal! Only takes 2 mins for them to warm up and although I haven't done much riding in the rain, there was way more grip than the old metzelers had on a wet surface. The only problem is I'll be lucky to get 3000 from the rear so I probably will try something a bit longer lasting next time. I don't think I could find fault with the front though. Very confidence inspiring in the corners!

I didn't get that much out of the PR3 at the rear. Middle of tire is just too soft, I think I got almost 5000 km out of it.

I have PR3 at the front and PR2 at the rear now and it's looking like it will last twice as long as the PR3. I haven't noticed much of a difference between PR3 and PR2 at the rear in the rain. It's as good in the dry.

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I didn't get that much out of the PR3 at the rear. Middle of tire is just too soft, I think I got almost 5000 km out of it.

I have PR3 at the front and PR2 at the rear now and it's looking like it will last twice as long as the PR3. I haven't noticed much of a difference between PR3 and PR2 at the rear in the rain. It's as good in the dry.

You said in a post earlier in the thread that you had done 4000km on the PR3's with very little wear. Was this a typo or do they just wear a lot quicker in the dry?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Tyres are like helmets in that everyone has their own preference. Personally (and speaking from experience) Dunlops are sh!te. I'll never use them again!! I've found Bridgestones to be better. Pirelli are class too. But I don't want to put you off either. If you're trying to save a few quid and you'll only be using them now and then, it might be fine.

I have Dunlops on the R6, found them better than the Supercorsas I previously had. Couldn't tell you what type Dunlops they are though :pac:

You said in a post earlier in the thread that you had done 4000km on the PR3's with very little wear. Was this a typo or do they just wear a lot quicker in the dry?

I should have said it was also an update, after 4000km a few motorway trips to Dublin, less than ten, and the middle of the tire just vanished! Front was fine though which is why I still have PR3 on the front.

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I should have said it was also an update, after 4000km a few motorway trips to Dublin, less than ten, and the middle of the tire just vanished! Front was fine though which is why I still have PR3 on the front.

What kind of mileage would you usually get from a tyre? Ive only had the r1 a few months and it's gone through a half worn metzeler and I'm now half way on the s20. I like having a grippy tyre but some more mileage would be great considering the price of them!

What kind of mileage would you usually get from a tyre? Ive only had the r1 a few months and it's gone through a half worn metzeler and I'm now half way on the s20. I like having a grippy tyre but some more mileage would be great considering the price of them!

There are so many contributing factors, it depends on the bike you have and have you ride it really. The best I got on a rear tire so far was my pirelli strada's which lasted about 6000 km but that was during my first year of biking on the fz6, started out on dragstar 650 so it took a while to get use to it. I went through 2 sets of strada's the second set lasted about the same.

First time on PR2 so I cant really say how much I will get but Wonda from here has gotten something like 20K out of his PR2 and he wouldn't be shy on the throttle, I have done about 3000 km on it so far and the side wall's are the only place showing a little bit of wear.I love them, rain or dry. Pr3's are really good but the rear just didnt last as long as I wanted to and I can't justify its cost compare to PR2 when I know I can get more out of it.

I would think that the R1 would be allot harsher's on the tires, especially if you like gunning it from the start, if you take it easy taking off it will last longer.

• Advertisement

I've seen lots of bikes with pr3's fitted. I suppose it's fair to assume they had pr2's and went for the latest model because they liked the 2's. I may go with Pr2's myself next. A bit cheaper and a lot nicer looking on the bike.

I've seen lots of bikes with pr3's fitted. I suppose it's fair to assume they had pr2's and went for the latest model because they liked the 2's. I may go with Pr2's myself next. A bit cheaper and a lot nicer looking on the bike.

That is exactly it, well in my case in anyway. I had the PR2's and was changing at the right time just at the start of winter. So it made sense to go with a tyre that was better in the wet, the pattern on the front tyre is very well designed and does give great feedback in the wet.

When these PR3's I have are finished I will be getting a PR3 front and a PR2 rear.

BTW, how are the PR2's better looking on the bike? :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nope, I'd Conti Road Attack II's and I'd go with them over the PR3's again and save a bundle of money.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

BTW, how are the PR2's better looking on the bike? :pac::pac:

I just think they have a weird tread pattern. It might not bother everyone but I like a tyre that looks as good as it handles!

Do those sport attacks not wear even faster? There is just too much choice when it comes to tyres

I ordered the road 2 today. Will I regret that if I go to a trackday? I wish I'd asked that before ordering it!

No you wont regret it at all....unless you are doing track days all the time and if you are get a track bike. They are a great tyre you will love them...

I ordered the road 2 today. Will I regret that if I go to a trackday? I wish I'd asked that before ordering it!

You wont, it will be grand, just take it easy for the first few laps until the tires warm up then let it rip :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Got pirelli angels st fitted 2 days a go. I am happy panda, as the tyre stick to the road really well. Lets see how long they last. Had roads 2 before on rsv. Great tyre alright, but they didnt last long under my command.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Is it a bad idea to mix brands?
    Have dunlops on now but need to replace to front (rear is fairly new) and wanted something a little softer.

• Advertisement

Well I got my Sprint last night with a brand new set of PR3's on them.....now that I am attempting to pilot a 1000cc bike we shall see the difference between that a nd the set on my 600cc.

Hopefully they will last the same, as I try to be a smooth as possible.

Advertisement