Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concerts 2013

Options
  • 12-11-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

New thread for convenience.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/onth...s-summer-2013/
    So, what can we look forward to in 2013? Well, there will definitely be a return to the Phoenix Park, with MCD looking to put on up to four shows in the park next year for a start. This makes total sense: if you leave aside the events surrounding the Swedish House Mafia show last July, the Park was a hugely successful venture for the promoter with three sold-out shows earning a huge gross and involving a much smaller sets of costs than Oxegen. And lightning can’t strike twice, can it? There will also be shows at Croke Park, Marlay Park, the RDS and the Aviva (Roger Waters isn’t likely to be the only one paying rent to the IRFU and the FAI). Acts we might – and please note I said “might” – possibly see playing in the country next summer include Beyonce, Bruce Springsteen, Rihanna, the Rolling Stones, Arcade Fire (though that’s more likely to be 2014 if the album release is late 2013), Tom Waits and Fleetwood Mac.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wembley Stadium announcing their first act tomorrow , could be an indication of a band that could play PP or Croker

Wembley Stadium
    BIG announcement here tomorrow re who we have lined up now for next year! Any ideas?
    Keep your guesses coming in for which bands/artists we have lined up for 2013, we'll reveal one tomorrow! #Wembley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm gonna say Muse :p

Ahh t'was the Killers. Bah hambug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2012/11/16/summer-2013-speculation/
    Mumford & Sons: set to be one of the acts playing the Phoenix Park next summer apparently.

The Script: also on the slate for the Park.

Beyonce: apparently, also in the mix for the Park. Reckon her Superbowl 2013 show is going to be hot.

Can see Script and M&S doing a show together like SP and FATM this year and will def sell out

Maybe Beyonce and Jessie J , would have thought Beyonce would be bigger then Rihanna though or at leas the same size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

The Script and Mumford and Sons? Who said rock was dead......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Can see Script and M&S doing a show together like SP and FATM this year and will def sell out

Maybe Beyonce and Jessie J , would have thought Beyonce would be bigger then Rihanna though or at leas the same size

This sounds more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Kings of Leon could well be likely, with a new album surfacing in early 2013. Maybe with Mumford and Sons supporting? That would be class! Arcade Fire unlikely to play, but I would equally love that!

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Kings of Leon could well be likely, with a new album surfacing in early 2013. Maybe with Mumford and Sons supporting? That would be class! Arcade Fire unlikely to play, but I would equally love that!

If KOL dont do Oxegen next year then i can def see them doing PP , although since they could easily sell it out on their own i would'nt expect a big support bill

• Advertisement

The Killers, Mumford & Sons and Timberlake if the Herald is to be believed.
    Three absolutely crap acts.

http://www.herald.ie/news/now-gardai-braced-for-threegig-special-at-the-phoenix-park-29119920.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

From the article:
    Gardai from Store Street have already been to concerts by these bands in other countries to carry out surveillance.

That's the funniest thing I've read all day

UsedToWait wrote: »
    From the article:

That's the funniest thing I've read all day

Can't see Mumford and Sons fans arriving all tooled up and yoked out of it but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭I Luv Crysis

Leonard Cohen rumored (mentioned on newstalk breakfast this morning)

He's playing the O2 in London on 21st June 2013, is that around the same dates as these PP gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Leonard Cohen rumored (mentioned on newstalk breakfast this morning)

He's playing the O2 in London on 21st June 2013, is that around the same dates as these PP gigs?

I think you can forget about Leonard.

Newstalk interviewer is ex PP resident and was badgering Mary Fitz, local FFer, who was more or less saying gigs should go ahead as long as the acts would attract the "right sort of people".

Newstalk person was being fairly aggressive and poor Mary was no Mumford & Sons expert and dredged up Leonard Cohen as the type of act less likely to pull in the undesirables. Mary's not the booker though.

Seems pretty much 100% that it'll be the three acts already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,424 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So Croke Park are getting no gigs this year ??

PTH2009 wrote: »

Id say so especially since there are prob not acts touring this year that could sell it out and after the RHCP gig prob dont wanna take a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Id say so especially since there are prob not acts touring this year that could sell it out and after the RHCP gig prob dont wanna take a chance

Yeah i think you are pretty spot on there. Last year was a disaster for stadium gigs.

The only band i could see take a bash at filling Croker is Kings of Leon, Ireland is suspiciously missing from their summer tour. I wouldnt count on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

MCD being as ambitous as always! **** me....

Hope that doesn't prove to be the acts. Arcade Fire would be ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Rolling Stones maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

contact mcd ‏@mcd_productions

Big announcement coming tomorrow folks, make sure you keep an eye on our Twitter page...

Phoenix Park or Oxegen????

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Niamh_101

contact mcd ‏@mcd_productions

Big announcement coming tomorrow folks, make sure you keep an eye on our Twitter page...

Phoenix Park or Oxegen????

It has to be Oxegen! Been waiting too long for them to announce the lineup. They have Forbidden Fruit and Longitude lineup out of the way now so maybe tomorrow is the day whether we'll know if lineup is good or not.

Niamh_101 wrote: »
    It has to be Oxegen! Been waiting too long for them to announce the lineup. They have Forbidden Fruit and Longitude lineup out of the way now so maybe tomorrow is the day whether we'll know if lineup is good or not.

They might also just announce when the Oxegen launch is taking place so we may have to wait a few extra days.

Plenty talk in the press recently regarding Killers, Mumford and Sons and JT playing PP so may be confirmed tomorrow!!

They might also just announce when the Oxegen launch is taking place so we may have to wait a few extra days.

Plenty talk in the press recently regarding Killers, Mumford and Sons and JT playing PP so may be confirmed tomorrow!!

If its Phoenix Park I really hope it's end of July! Hopefully no stabbings this year.

Niamh_101 wrote: »
    If its Phoenix Park I really hope it's end of July! Hopefully no stabbings this year.

By all accounts the three gigs will be held on 11th, 13th and 14th of July.

These dates are probably accurate. MCD have Longitude starting the 19th of July and Oxegen due to take place 3rd and 4th August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I went to the Roses last year, getting out of the place was a nightmare, I got crushed in a bottleneck on the way out. Hope they improve it this time.

By all accounts the three gigs will be held on 11th, 13th and 14th of July.

These dates are probably accurate. MCD have Longitude starting the 19th of July and Oxegen due to take place 3rd and 4th August.

Looks like I'm missing it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

There doesnt seem to be too many acts who can "sell" stadium /outdoor gigs anymore. Obviously the usual suspects like U2, Springsteen, The Stones etc always do whilst The Killers, Coldplay, RHCP, (and dare I say Bon Jovi :) also can.

With David Bowie releasing a new album, perhaps The Thin White Duke might do a show here?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

With David Bowie releasing a new album, perhaps The Thin White Duke might do a show here?

No.

• Advertisement

If it's Oxegen I doubt they'll be announcing any bands. Perhaps one headliner. But they'll be announcing when they'll be announcing the line-up basically :rolleyes:

Advertisement