Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concerts 2013

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

A V A wrote: »
    iv seen that coffin dodger twice ,he's good for people trying to hold on to their youth :D im giggling here

Sometimes words fail me.

Springsteen puts on probably the best and most diverse show out on the road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

iv seen that coffin dodger twice ,he's good for people trying to hold on to their youth :D im giggling here
    Thsi is one thing i certainly dont need to do.. I'm fecking 19.. :P
    he's hardly going to get off the stage and give you a ****!!!!!! his music was not relevant to the line up what so ever!!! so it doesnt supriseme that people dont get what he's about :rolleyes: people that know him know what he's like on stage and some people dont get that

He's about standing there and randomly moaning into the mic? He may as well have been having a ****, might have been a bit more entertaining..
    Been ot an awful lot of gigs, including artists I don't like all that much.. I've never before wanted to sleep at one as much in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

he's hardly going to get off the stage and give you a ****!!!!!! his music was not relevant to the line up what so ever!!! so it doesnt supriseme that people dont get what he's about :rolleyes: people that know him know what he's like on stage and some people dont get that

maybe some people just don't like him? i thought he was awful and im fairly easy to please. i enjoyed the rest of the acts but jesus christ he was so dull, may as well have been a mannequin with a cd player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Without a doubt the stupidest,dumbest thing I have ever read!!!

Have been at over 100 concerts varying from Gaga to Rihanna,Rammstein to Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen is by far the best I've ever seen live along with Prince.

Not even Bruces biggest fan but the man is a bonafide legend and puts on some show.

Some people seriously haven't a clue!!

Agree with one thing though the cliche bull**** annoys me too unless it's sincere which it isn't from most artists!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

frank ocean wouldnt appeal to all the mainstream chart topping fans out there that went to the killers which, which was 2/3's of them!!!

he's a member of odd future and has always been that way, if i was playing for a crowd that was showin no love what so ever ,i wouldnt bother my arse tryin to be showman :rolleyes:

If I was playing in a park to thousands I'd show some god damn appreciation for the people that have forked out tonnes to be there. If the gig wasn't his scene he shouldn't have played it and gone somewhere else, is he not touted as a real artist and such, creativity before money and such? Was a total buzz kill to be honest but actually heightened my giddiness when The Killers did come on as I was so happy to hear musicians that gave a crap.

Overall it was a great weekend in the Park, I had been worried that the insanity of last year would stop this annual fest before it even got going but it was great to see this weekend go down without a hitch and here's to many more.

But for God's sake could MCD please cop on that men need to be searched too. Both nights I was ushered straight in just because I'd taken my keys and wallet out into my hand whilst my girlfriend was put through a full on Quantanamo being searched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

niallon wrote: »
    If I was playing in a park to thousands I'd show some god damn appreciation for the people that have forked out tonnes to be there. If the gig wasn't his scene he shouldn't have played it and gone somewhere else, is he not touted as a real artist and such, creativity before money and such? Was a total buzz kill to be honest but actually heightened my giddiness when The Killers did come on as I was so happy to hear musicians that gave a crap.

Overall it was a great weekend in the Park, I had been worried that the insanity of last year would stop this annual fest before it even got going but it was great to see this weekend go down without a hitch and here's to many more.

But for God's sake could MCD please cop on that men need to be searched too. Both nights I was ushered straight in just because I'd taken my keys and wallet out into my hand whilst my girlfriend was put through a full on Quantanamo being searched.

i didnt get searched either, just empty the pockets there - that's grand, no back pockets or anything.

they were just lucky they weren't knacker heavy acts playing, will be interesting to see what happens at oxegen.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Now i dont know Frank Oceans music (but have heard of him) but i dont agree that just because people were maybe at times not interested in you , then you as the performer should do what you need to do to make people tune into your music. Each performer is different so they can have different ways of getting the crowd going .
    I do agree i hate the usual "We love Ireland , Ye are the best crowd etc" but you can still engage with your audience e.g. different stories , maybe what the songs are about etc.
    Every gig you play at you should always want to get new fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

D'ya know what, I've seen some obsessive fans and that but I've never seen a fan be as delusional.
    The fact that you're actually dogging Bruce Springsteen(of all people) in defence of Frank Ocean is mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

srm23 wrote: »
    i didnt get searched either, just empty the pockets there - that's grand, no back pockets or anything.

they were just lucky they weren't knacker heavy acts playing, will be interesting to see what happens at oxegen.

As I was queuing for the toilets last night I was chatting to a girl about the lackadaisical searching, and she exclaimed 'Sure I was able to sneak a knife in really easily!'

Apparently she 'wasn't going to use it' and it was 'just for protection'.

:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

SV wrote: »
    D'ya know what, I've seen some obsessive fans and that but I've never seen a fan be as delusional.
    The fact that you're actually dogging Bruce Springsteen(of all people) in defence of Frank Ocean is mind boggling.

lol!!!!

my bruce is the best :rolleyes::)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

How were Ham Sandwich ?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

threein99 wrote: »
    How were Ham Sandwich ?

I thought they were really good :)

Mumford and Sons were unreal :D

(also there is a Bruce Springteen thread lads ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Thought The Vaccines were seriously good last night, highlight of the night for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

123 LC wrote: »
    I thought they were really good :)

Mumford and Sons were unreal :D

(also there is a Bruce Springteen thread lads ;) )

Thats good to hear, would to see Ham Sandwich really kick on and break through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lol!!!!

my bruce is the best :rolleyes::)

I'm not a fan of Bruce Springsteen. I just know enough to know he puts on a good show, even for non fans.
    Frank Ocean didn't at the Phoenix park gig, and the masses of complaints about him make that obvious. Borefest is what I've heard his set described as by several!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sca21

Went to the Killers concert on Saturday. Best gig in a long time, only arrived for the last 3 songs of Two Door Cinema Club and thought they were excellent, they really had the crowd going. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Frank Ocean. For a fella who has a Grammy you would expect a bit more in all fairness, not good at all. However, the Killers were brilliant. They had the whole place rocking, pity the encore wasn't a bit longer though. I was expecting them back on after Mr Brightside but it wasn't to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

sca21 wrote: »
    Went to the Killers concert on Saturday. Best gig in a long time, only arrived for the last 3 songs of Two Door Cinema Club and thought they were excellent, they really had the crowd going. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Frank Ocean. For a fella who has a Grammy you would expect a bit more in all fairness, not good at all. However, the Killers were brilliant. They had the whole place rocking, pity the encore wasn't a bit longer though. I was expecting them back on after Mr Brightside but it wasn't to be.

100% agree with you and i arrived at around the very same time, Enjoyed 2DCC and then frank ocean came on,Around that time our gang had an ice cream and we also got beers and sat in the grass and chilled,Was great atmosphere for the rest of it...Just a pity about Frank Ocean, He couldn't entertain a creche the way he was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thought The Vaccines were seriously good last night, highlight of the night for me.

Fully agree with this!

Don't agree with your choice of football team tho :P

The Vaccines were definitely the highlight for me, I'm just sickened I timed my toilet break wrong and only caught the last minute of 'Blow it Up' at the start! :pac:

I wish that Edward Sharpe & Magnetic Zeros could have had the longer few minutes he wanted to really do the story bit for 'Home' properly. If anyone has seen the video of their show at the Baladoo (sp?) festival, you can see what they tried to do. Also the lads that got on the microphone probably didn't know what the idea was. Alexandre even said as much that it didn't work as planned.

Great day overall tho, well organised to be fair, never queued long for anything; food, drinks, toilets or even buses out afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I like frank ocean a lot but I don't think he's suitable to that kind of concert, I think his music works way better in a more intimate venue!

Mumford & sons were very good as were the vaccines & ben howard (missed edward sharpe and ham sandwich) it was my first time ever even being in phoenix park so I was really pleased! but why is the concert held so far into the park? thought I'd collapse walking in!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Was about 5 rows from the front myself. I've listened to Channel Orange a few times and definitely enjoyed it, but Frank's set seriously killed the mood. In a different setting and a different lineup I would've probably enjoyed him more - I personally thought the music and vocals were spot on - but the songs just dragged and dragged, and by the end I was praying for the Killers to come out and give us a show. Which, in fairness, they did.

Speaking of Bruce though, seems like every new(ish) song was trying to emulate the Boss! Wouldn't be big on that style of all-American power ballad, but the old stuff was phenomenal. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine made my night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement