Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concerts 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

What about Green Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Mumford and sons, ben howard the vaccines confirmed july 14th Phoenix park by MCD facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hopefully this means the Justin Timberlake rumour will be true too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 gavo82

Will there be a pre-sale for the Mumford Phoenix Park gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Fuck €61.50 for Mumford and the Vaccines. Chriiiist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Fuck €61.50 for Mumford and the Vaccines. Chriiiist.

How much did you expect it to be? Mumford and Sons Played the O2 before Christmas, tickets were €39.05+€4.95 fees in a purpose built venue that does not incur many of the costs a huge outdoor gig has.

You're getting a full days line-up in a venue which has to be fenced off, expensive licences obtained, stage built, sound and lighting towers constructed and equipment installed and checked. Temporary roadways put down for vehicles, clean up costs after the gig, security costs inside the venue, costs for Gardai inside the venue, significant advertising campaigns, obtain health and safety approval of all works before gates can be opened, plus all artist fees etc etc etc etc etc.

Granted MCD take money from vendors who set up inside the venue but MCD are a business after all. They are in existence to turn a profit, like every other business in this country. Would you expect MCD to charge a ticket price which would mean they break-even on every gig held in this country, that all MCD staff work for free and that they operate out of the back seat of a VW Polo and therefore incur no office running costs????!!!

None of this comes cheap I'm afraid. A large group of construction workers will be in place in the 7-10 days before the series of gigs. All these lads need to be paid.

Not bad value in my opinion. A few drinks, trip to nightclub, bit of food after and taxi home would be alot more expensive!!

P.S - I DON'T WORK FOR MCD!!

How much did you expect it to be? Mumford and Sons Played the O2 before Christmas, tickets were €39.05+€4.95 fees in a purpose built venue that does not incur many of the costs a huge outdoor gig has.

You're getting a full days line-up in a venue which has to be fenced off, expensive licences obtained, stage built, sound and lighting towers constructed and equipment installed and checked. Temporary roadways put down for vehicles, clean up costs after the gig, security costs inside the venue, costs for Gardai inside the venue, significant advertising campaigns, obtain health and safety approval of all works before gates can be opened, plus all artist fees etc etc etc etc etc.

Granted MCD take money from vendors who set up inside the venue but MCD are a business after all. They are in existence to turn a profit, like every other business in this country. Would you expect MCD to charge a ticket price which would mean they break-even on every gig held in this country, that all MCD staff work for free and that they operate out of the back seat of a VW Polo and therefore incur no office running costs????!!!

None of this comes cheap I'm afraid. A large group of construction workers will be in place in the 7-10 days before the series of gigs. All these lads need to be paid.

Not bad value in my opinion. A few drinks, trip to nightclub, bit of food after and taxi home would be alot more expensive!!

Im gonna start by saying I fully understand where all this comes from. But I must also say its a bit over-priced. I was thinking in terms of if Muse were playing, how much would it be? Their gig at the o2 was 60e, which was tough enough to stump up. A rough estimate if they played PP would be 70-80, then to have fees on top. That is hitting prices, albeit lowest prices, that are paid for legendary status bands. No offence to Mumford, but they are nowhere near that level (and neither are Muse). So yeah, I think it is a bit over-priced.

I would expect an outdoors gig in Phoenix park to be €60.

But compare the quality of the line up to some of the previous Marley Park days. Pretty sure the Snow Patrol + Florence and the Machine gig was €60~ as well. Snow Patrol can sell out several nights at the 02 charging €50 and Florence could probably play a couple of nights charging €50 as well. And there was still support. The Swedish house mafia gig had a pretty beefy line up as well. And the Foo fighters one in Belfast.

These cost a fortune to put on, so yeah I'd expect anything to be €60 in Phoenix park. But that line up just seems a good bit less worth it than previous gigs.

Mushy wrote: »
    Im gonna start by saying I fully understand where all this comes from. But I must also say its a bit over-priced. I was thinking in terms of if Muse were playing, how much would it be? Their gig at the o2 was 60e, which was tough enough to stump up. A rough estimate if they played PP would be 70-80, then to have fees on top. That is hitting prices, albeit lowest prices, that are paid for legendary status bands. No offence to Mumford, but they are nowhere near that level (and neither are Muse). So yeah, I think it is a bit over-priced.

Yeah, I can see your point. Without knowing what profit margin MCD desire it's a difficult question, however:

MCD may look at this as follows:(totally fictional figures)

Sunday night: We get Mumford & Sons etc etc & charge €61.50 and make a profit of €200k (Mumford fee would not be similar to Killers, Muse etc)

Saturday night: We get the Killers OR Muse etc & charge €61.50 BUT only make a profit of €50k. (reduced profit due to higher fee to headline act)

Therefore we make an overall profit of €250k (€200k for Mumford and €50k from the Killers).

MCD will analyse profit individually and then collectively. The financial statements filed publicly with the Companies Office next year will just show overall profit, not per gig so MCD happy with result.

^ Oh yeah you're probably spot on with how it works. If the gig was a handful of small Irish bands playing for free in Phoenix park, tickets would still be a fortune. But the thought that MCD are making a bit less money on the Muse/Killers/Coldplay gig tomorrow night doesn't make €60 for Mumford and Sons any more appealing. That being said this'll probably sell out anyway so what do I know :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The festival should be called 'Disappointing Second Album' with Mumford and Vaccines there.

^ Oh yeah you're probably spot on with how it works. If the gig was a handful of small Irish bands playing for free in Phoenix park, tickets would still be a fortune. But the thought that MCD are making a bit less money on the Muse/Killers/Coldplay gig tomorrow night doesn't make €60 for Mumford and Sons any more appealing. That being said this'll probably sell out anyway so what do I know :pac:

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

Sometimes the line-up won't match the price and other times the line-up will probably represent fairly decent value.

MCD will more than likely charge €61.50 for all PP gigs and just make different profit margins.

Look at it this way. An Oxegen/EP/Longitude day ticket is a set price but one day may be a particularly poor line-up wise. The Friday of 2011 Oxegen had Black Eyed Peas headlining while the Saturday had Foo's and Sunday had Coldplay. Day tickets were €99 (I think) across the board. You'd be fairly disgusted if you had a Friday day ticket!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Corholio wrote: »
    The festival should be called 'Disappointing Second Album' with Mumford and Vaccines there.

Babel is better than Sigh No More imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

I actually think it's pretty good value for money. I went to see Mumford at the O2 in December and it was €40, Ben Howard was €22 at the Olympia and you're getting The Vaccines on top of that.
    The three acts are huge at the moment, especially amongst young people so I'm sure the gig will sell out. I just hope I get tickets, Ben and Mumford are two of my favourite artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Absolutely sickened that I missed Ben Howard back when he was playing the Olympia in November, I dunno if I could endure listening to Mumford and Sons to see him perform. If it was any other band...but nope, had to be them :rolleyes:

I would pay any money to see Ben Howard though, excellent singer songwriter, even better live.

Actually on another note, they should have gotten Imagine Dragons signed up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

alleystar wrote: »
    Absolutely sickened that I missed Ben Howard back when he was playing the Olympia in November, I dunno if I could endure listening to Mumford and Sons to see him perform. If it was any other band...but nope, had to be them :rolleyes:

I would pay any money to see Ben Howard though, excellent singer songwriter, even better live.

Actually on another note, they should have gotten Imagine Dragons signed up.

Then check out Belsonic in Belfast , he is doing his own headline festival show up there

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Then check out Belsonic in Belfast , he is doing his own headline festival show up there

:eek:

Brilliant. Just saw it on musicscene.ie there. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Babel is better than Sigh No More imo.

Possibly. I just heard a repetitive, dour non-imaginative album followed by a repetitive, more dour and even more non-imaginative album.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bb86

If Mumford and Sons are playing the Sunday night, I wonder who will be playing the Saturday... Any thoughts/ideas?

bb86 wrote: »
    If Mumford and Sons are playing the Sunday night, I wonder who will be playing the Saturday... Any thoughts/ideas?

The Killers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

Any educated guesses on how quickly (or even if) Mumford will sell out tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,619 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bb86 wrote: »

Justin Timberlake maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

https://twitter.com/jimcarrollOTR/status/313049907877519360
    Jim Carroll ‏@jimcarrollOTR
    You hear the strangest things in Austin: interesting rumour about identity of 1 of the acts set for Phoenix Park. Residents may not be happy

Daft Punk?

Surely a band playing SXSW...isn't that on now?

Ah yea i can dream :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'd imagine whatever he's heard is from one of the numerous irish bookers/promoters/journalists over there, not one of the bands.

realistically it has to be some commercial dance/rap act who is big enough to sell lots of tickets, couldn't imagine the residents potentially being unhappy about Kings of Leon or someone....

that said, it's just a rumour, Jim Carroll's "inside tips" sometimes don't come true....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Oh the residents, I thought they meant fans for some reason. Oh well, it's only for 3 days during the summer, I can think of more pressing issues tbh.

i'd imagine whatever he's heard is from one of the numerous irish bookers/promoters/journalists over there, not one of the bands.

realistically it has to be some commercial dance/rap act who is big enough to sell lots of tickets, couldn't imagine the residents potentially being unhappy about Kings of Leon or someone....

that said, it's just a rumour, Jim Carroll's "inside tips" sometimes don't come true....

Jay Z and Justin Timberlake co headline gig?

• Advertisement

Residents may not be happy

Swedish house Mafia :p Gates are at ten am.

Advertisement