Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concerts 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Will the guards mind people having a few cans in the park before heading in would ye say?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/increased-garda-presence-for-phoenix-park-concerts-1.1454334

According to this, no alcohol will be allowed in the park but how much or if at all that'll be enforced is a different question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is there much interest in Justin?Thinking of going last minute and was hoping id get a cheap ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Anniebell

Drove past this evening. The stage is closer to the visitor's center than last year but the entrance on Chesterfield Avenue seems to be fairly near to where it was last year.

Sorry to keep asking about exact location, but if I'm coming from town I'll be going in the entrance nearest Heuston Station, how much of a walk is it to the stage area then? I remember Robbie in 2003 felt like forever so just want to be sure what I'm heading into again!

Tia

Anniebell wrote: »
    Sorry to keep asking about exact location, but if I'm coming from town I'll be going in the entrance nearest Heuston Station, how much of a walk is it to the stage area then? I remember Robbie in 2003 felt like forever so just want to be sure what I'm heading into again!

Tia

I'd say the entrance to the gig is about 1 and a half miles up from the entrance at Park Gate Street. I don't know where the entrance was for RW but it probably wasn't too far off where this one is so I'd say you're in for the same trek this time.

If you look at Google maps, if you draw a line between where it says American Ambassadors residence and Glide Tours Phoenix Park, where that line hits Chesterfield Avenue is roughly where the entrance is, give or take a couple of minutes either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Is Chesterfield Ave the only entrance to the gigs?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Irish Times
    There are some shows which don’t need radio ads. You won’t have heard much paid-for mentions on your wireless for the Mumford & Sons’ show at the Phoenix Park, a sure sign that the gig is selling well. You also won’t have heard any ads for the five upcoming Bruce Springsteen shows because those gigs sold well and sold early.

But it’s a different matter with other gigs, as Irish music fans discovered with the endless ads for Neil Diamond and Madonna in recent summers. It seems that there’s an ad running for the upcoming Michael Bublé shows in Dublin’s O2 every time I turn on RTE Radio One (at least the promoters knows the market).

Many people believed that these five shows were sold out months ago, but “extra tickets” have now been found. “Extra tickets” are always an interesting proposition for a venue with a fixed capacity like the O2 when you’d expect that every seat would be easy to account for. While you’ll often get production tickets (those blocks of seats initially with-held from sale to facilitate the act’s production requirements) going back on sale close to show day, the amount of ads for Bublé are something else.

That’s nothing, though, compared to the onslaught of radio ads for this week’s Phoenix Park appearances by Justin Timberlake and The Killers. Neither show seems to have caught the public imagination and, despite a great current album for the former and a fine support bill for the latter, the ads have been thrown around with gay abandon to try to shift those thousands of tickets.

Good news for the radio stations, of course (especially if they don’t have a contra deal with the promoter giving them free ads in return for tickets), but more costs for the promoter to shoulder. It’s also a sign that there has been very little innovation when it comes to promoting live music – it’s still about ads, radio play and press and, when that doesn’t work, more of the same, er, ad infinitum.

Of course, both gigs may well enjoy a late spike this week because of the fine weather. There has been a lot written about how the shows will be policed - there’s even going to be a hotline for residents manned by the promoter’s staff, which sets an interesting precedent for future big gigs – but, as always, there has been little information about how the shows are selling and won’t be until after the fact. While it’s another indication of news priorities when it comes to music, where music is seen as something for the showbiz desk unless there’s an outbreak of Swedish House Mafia-itis and the crime boys can move in, it’s also a sign of how close the promoter holds the cards to his chest.

But, as with our old friend Neil Diamond, the ads give away a lot. Watch and see what other gigs this summer turn up again and again between the chatter and the music on your favourite radio station in the coming months.

Justin Timberlake fans please note - THERE IS STRICTLY NO PUBLIC CAR PARKING at the Phoenix Park. There will be a bus service in operation and you can book online here: http://bit.ly/PhoenixConcertBus

Pick up Location: Customs House Quay
    Drop off location in Phoenix Park: Beside the Papal Cross - short walk to the concert entrance.
    Time of Service: 16:00-20:00 departing every 30minutes.
    Return after concert between 23:00- 00:30

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

y2jCsef.jpg

In there is it?

Assume the luas will be running for Killers yeah?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

MCD
    Phoenix Park looking good!

*Wednesday: Justin Timberlake / Jessie J / James Arthur
    *Saturday: The Killers / Frank Ocean / Two Door Cinema Club / HAIM
    *Sunday: Mumford and Sons / Ben Howard / Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros / The Vaccines / HamsandwicH (SOLD OUT)

1052318_10151728630704548_1237052098_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/increased-garda-presence-for-phoenix-park-concerts-1.1454334

According to this, no alcohol will be allowed in the park but how much or if at all that'll be enforced is a different question.

Surely that doesn't mean that there won't be a bar at the actual gig??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Mr.S wrote: »
    Realistically you'll be fine if you don't drink it right infront of them, usual street drinking practises ;)

This is what I'm hoping. Went to Hyde Park a couple of years ago for Hard Rock Calling and the police didn't mind people sitting in the grass drinking. But I think there were also less idiots there than there'd be here. Quite annoying. I'm heading to the Dubs match at two, would love to head up after and just relax in the park and have a few drinks. I'm sure we'll be fine.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    y2jCsef.jpg

In there is it?

Where the little yellow man is is pretty bang on to where the entrance is. The stage is at the back of the field to the right of where it says Phoenix cafe.

Mongo wrote: »
    Surely that doesn't mean that there won't be a bar at the actual gig??

No, there's bar in the gig alright. i think they're just putting it out there that they won't allow knacker drinking in the park before hand. However I doubt that'll be possible to enforce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

ED E wrote: »
    y2jCsef.jpg

In there is it?

nope just adjust the top picture more to the left and in the big field is where it willl be

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

my ticket for the Justin Timberlake gig tomorrow says no queueing before 6pm. How are they gonna be able to enforce that? won't people just loiter nearby?
    Trying to figure out what time to get there as I wanna be stood somewhere near the front half so I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Going to the killers got tickets last month,now my mate wants to go so wondering is it general admittance if she buys a ticket online now or up there,basically will we all be together in there

Don't think theres many tickets sold for Justin Timberlake so so say you will get a good view
    Jessie J couldn't perform on 2fm today so wonder will she make it tomorrow night

bigpink wrote: »
    Don't think theres many tickets sold for Justin Timberlake so so say you will get a good view
    Jessie J couldn't perform on 2fm today so wonder will she make it tomorrow night
    Yeah they seem to be flogging tickets all over the place, seen lots of competitions for free tickets and the ad for the gig is on the radio all the time. Guessing it's not been a big seller, may work in my favour though, get a decent view :)

Thinking of going last minute myself

may be a lot of peopel going last minute . what with the great weather and tickets being easy to get a hold of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Anyone print the tickets online - is that page enough?

Also one more Q, anyone know of parking close by?

• Advertisement

Santi101 wrote: »
    Anyone print the tickets online - is that page enough?

Also one more Q, anyone know of parking close by?

I was wondering about parking too since I'm driving up, MCD has this on their website http://www.mcd.ie/safety_notices/pp13_publicinfonotice.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Going to the killers got tickets last month,now my mate wants to go so wondering is it general admittance if she buys a ticket online now or up there,basically will we all be together in there

Yep, all tickets are general admission and you can go wherever you want so won't cause any problems!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

Going to JT tomorrow evening, gates open at 6..does anyone have any idea what time Jessie J and James Arthur are on? Should I be aiming to be there at 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Going to JT tomorrow evening, gates open at 6..does anyone have any idea what time Jessie J and James Arthur are on? Should I be aiming to be there at 6?

James Arthur on at 6.30. No other stage times have been released as yet.

Keep an eye on MCD Facebook/twitter tomorrow morning I reckon for more detailed information.

Strange that the running order has not been released in full for all gigs.

Aim to be at the gates for 6pm and you'll be fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Is the luas to hueston the best way to get to this?

what time does everyone reckon you'll need to be there for the pit passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

Thanks for the reply, will aim to be there at 6 :o)

James Arthur on at 6.30. No other stage times have been released as yet.

Keep an eye on MCD Facebook/twitter tomorrow morning I reckon for more detailed information.

Strange that the running order has not been released in full for all gigs.

Aim to be at the gates for 6pm and you'll be fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Where the little yellow man is is pretty bang on to where the entrance is. The stage is at the back of the field to the right of where it says Phoenix cafe.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Site looks pretty similar location to last years location if I remember right. I used the pedestrian entrance beside the Hole in the Wall pub on Blackhorse avenue.

The following link gives information on gates/road closures: http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=11458

Last year the Ashtown Gate was closed to even pedestrian access but according to the above that's not the case this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Celtise wrote: »
    Site looks pretty similar location to last years location if I remember right. I used the pedestrian entrance beside the Hole in the Wall pub on Blackhorse avenue.

The following link gives information on gates/road closures: http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=11458

Last year the Ashtown Gate was closed to even pedestrian access but according to the above that's not the case this year.

If thats true it would be great,I went from Ashtown Train station last year to there and the entrance was closed,So had to walk down to the small entrance down beside the hole in the wall.

Its overall a tight walk if using the dart and in last years case wearing wellies,Easier this year hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Jessie J off the card tonight due to illness. The Coronas have been added.

Advertisement