Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked Exit in the SU

• 12-11-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain this?
    S20aw.jpg
    I brought it to the attention of the SU around one today and at five it was still on. I just sent Adam an email there now. I can't believe that something like this would happen in this day and age

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd imagine Buildings and Estates have something to do with this. They have always been concerned at the security threat posed by people using this door as a lazy man's exit from the pool room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Raised a similar issue not long back to my old school,
    They put an iron gate in front of a fire door so people wouldn't go in there and drink over the weekends.
    I understand the problem but I passed it midweek while there were people in school and it was still locked.
    Not only was it a serious safety hazard, but if you went out of the door not knowing the gate was locked, you'd be trapped between the fire door and metal gate...
    Brother and sister go there still,
    Must see if it's been unlocked,
    Or at least has been weekdays..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

The door currently doesn't close properly from my understand so until it is fixed it must be padlocked so no one can get in at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The door currently doesn't close properly from my understand so until it is fixed it must be padlocked so no one can get in at night.

and nobody to get out in an emergency it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Jester252 wrote: »
    and nobody to get out in an emergency it seems

I'd say you should email Philip Thornton about it, I'm sure that breaches Health and Safety regs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

a similar argument was used by a certain dublin nightclub in the 80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

+353 1 673 4000

Donnybrook Fire Station. I'm sure they would be only too happy to call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

I couldn't find a clip with the scene where the emergency exit was painted on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Thats a blatant breach of health and safety and should be reported to buildings&estates if it hasn't been already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Fire Safety Legislation

Fire Services Act 1981 & 2003

The current structure of the Fire Service in Ireland is based upon the legislation of the Fire Services Act of 1981 & 2003.
    While the "duty of care" in respect to Fire Safety in Buildings rests with the Owner/Occupier under the Fire Service Act, 1981, the Fire Authorities have various powers of inspection and enforcement for Fire Prevention/safety measures in existing Buildings.
    Section 18(2) of the Fire Services Act, 1981 & 2003 is quoted as follows: -
    “It shall be the duty of every person having control over premises to which this section applies to –
    (a) take all reasonable measures to guard against the outbreak of fire on such premises,
    (b) provide reasonable fire safety measures for such premises and prepare and provide appropriate fire safety procedures for ensuring the safety of persons on such premises,
    (c) ensure that the fire safety measures and procedures referred to in paragraph (b) are applied at all times, and
    (d) ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the safety of persons on the premises in the event of an outbreak of fire whether such outbreak has occurred or not.”
    A person convicted for an offence under the above may be liable to a maximum fine of €12,697.38 and/or imprisonment for a period not exceeding two years.

That's a maximum fine of €12,697.38 and / or up to 2 years in prison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement